All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 12-05-2009, 10:00 AM
Unregistered

Unhappy Memory full on restore

Hi!

I followed your instructions to the tee! anyway, when I tried to restore everything I got the "memory full" message too. So I went back in and restored everything separately. The only thing I can't restore is Files - it now says error every time I try and restore them.

So - can you help please?!!

Also, I know this isn't that important, but before my backup and restore, I had Nimbuzz installed on my phone and was loving it! Since the restore, it won't install at all! any ideas?

Thanks!

Old 12-05-2009, 10:31 AM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile C: disk and System

As mentioned above , using third party apps like Y-Browser or X-Plore , go to C:\system\temp , there is sometimes MB's of .SWF . These are also deleted by rebooting (restarting) the Phone .
There can be a heavy load in C:\system\dmgr\...number...\contents\ , as well .
Regards jApi NL

Old 13-05-2009, 06:09 PM
Unregistered

as i mentioned earlier, a restore can cause a faulty app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi!

I followed your instructions to the tee! anyway, when I tried to restore everything I got the "memory full" message too. So I went back in and restored everything separately. The only thing I can't restore is Files - it now says error every time I try and restore them.

So - can you help please?!!

Also, I know this isn't that important, but before my backup and restore, I had Nimbuzz installed on my phone and was loving it! Since the restore, it won't install at all! any ideas?

Thanks!

Old 14-05-2009, 06:21 AM
Unregistered

Angry Do not do this!

I REPEAT, DO NOT DO THIS!

After following the instructions I got the infamous now "Not enough RAM. Close some applications first". But not only that. It also messed up my modem (I can't access internet thru AT&T's internet or thru Wi-Fi). Both AT&T (my service provider in the US) and Nokia have NO IDEA how to fix it. I might be having to ship it tomorrow to them (Nokia) to fix it. They said it's the only way. Again, DO NOT DO THIS. The representative at Nokia said it was foolish to backup in the phones memory, it would've been smarter to do it in a PC.

Old 14-05-2009, 09:10 AM
Unregistered

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I REPEAT, DO NOT DO THIS!

After following the instructions I got the infamous now "Not enough RAM. Close some applications first". But not only that. It also messed up my modem (I can't access internet thru AT&T's internet or thru Wi-Fi). Both AT&T (my service provider in the US) and Nokia have NO IDEA how to fix it. I might be having to ship it tomorrow to them (Nokia) to fix it. They said it's the only way. Again, DO NOT DO THIS. The representative at Nokia said it was foolish to backup in the phones memory, it would've been smarter to do it in a PC.
*#*#*#*#*ISSUE RESOLVED*#*#*#*#*

OK, first of all, sorry for rushing and blaming this entry. Although partially guilty, it had some other unforeseen events. Secondly, thank God I managed to resolve it. This is how/why:

I had downloaded (as many of you might) a little app named Kaspersky Mobile Security. After the backup/hardreset/hardrestore session, this app (KMS) failed to be restored. Some how it was blocking the internet access. If you have the same problem the steps to follow are very simple:

1. Re-install KMS.
2. That's it! After you're done re-installing it, reboot the phone and Shazam! it should be back and running and all good.

Sorry again, and you're welcome if this thread solved your issue.

Old 14-05-2009, 12:06 PM

munkimatt is on a distinguished road
Just a quiet word of warning here which in no way points a finger of blame anywhere!

Just recently completed this method and freed up 40mb. Afterwards I realised Gravity no longer worked despite the icon showing in appications so I downloaded the app again and re-installed. Straight after I realised I was no longer receiving texts and in order to force messages through to the handset I had to perform reboot after reboot. The problem has only been resolved after performing a full reset of the phone (GREEN+RED+CAMERA while booting).

Like I said, no blame involed here, maybe just a suggestion that you remove your apps before proceeding with this.

Old 15-05-2009, 06:51 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the report. Google Maps was another casualty here and needed to be reinstalled. Not a huge problem though.

The SMS problem is plain weird though - sounds more like a corruption or glitch in your OS installation. Anyone else?

Old 15-05-2009, 07:40 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post
The SMS problem is plain weird though - sounds more like a corruption or glitch in your OS installation. Anyone else?
Could well be what you say although I did try re-installing the OS via NSU. V21 loaded back onto the handset fine but SMS problem wasn't fixed, it took the big 'Nuke Your Phone' reset to solve.

An odd one for sure. I'm tempted to see if I can replicate.

Old 18-05-2009, 04:08 AM
Alvinpp

Be careful

Just a warning to those who would like to try this method.

The following happens after I reinstall from backup:
- lost my dictionary additional language pack
- lost FRING app
- lost Total Recall app
- lost NIMBUZZ app
- some settings etc

seems like this backup does not backup everything.

so I think some of the mb I "recovered" is due to all those lost apps.

Old 23-05-2009, 01:56 AM
eleffie

another suggestion: delete bluetooth push msgs

delete any SMS's pushed by bluetooth file transfer, it is in the usual place where sms's r saved
this way freed up 20megs on my device , rather than the other tips in greate article.

Old 28-07-2009, 08:43 PM
Unregistered

Hi i del data/wscache instead of system cache wat to do will anything go wrong
Ads

Old 20-08-2009, 09:46 PM
Unregistered

Question N86

Had a similar problem with my N86 as i was down to 5MB. I deleted the folders suggested and got up to 14.9MB. I tend done the reset and nothing changed. I done a scan of the C drive and I'm intrigued about the follwing:

12 MB SIS files
51 MB other files

What on earth are these other files and where are they as i can't see them using file manager or X-Plore???

Old 11-09-2009, 09:25 PM

vehicular is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jApi NL View Post
Doesn't the 5800XM have an option in Messaging like in S60 V3 : Options > Settings > Others > Memory in Use > Device/Card ? This in order to save C: Memory .
Regards jApi NL
Yes, it also has the same option.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:44 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vehicular View Post
Yes, it also has the same option.
No, no, no, there's no point in using it though - as soon as you plug into your desktop, disk E gets locked out and Messaging switches back - you'd be locked into a cycle of continually (manually) changing it back to E: every time 8-(

Old 13-10-2009, 05:19 AM
Unregistered

how see streaming live video

how to watch live streaming video on nokia 5800?