All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 11-04-2009, 03:30 PM

Jessicaa is on a distinguished road
N78 Persistent 'Sim Card Registration Failed' Message

I have scoured the internet for answers on this problem, and i cannot find anyone with the same problem as me, so hopefully one of you could shed some light on this problem;

I recently purchased the N78 from my sister in November-ish of last year, it was a SIM free one, so i was able to put my Three (3) SIM card in (She was recently on 02 if that helps) it worked fine for say, about a month maybe, until the message 'SIM card registration failed' kept appearing, i just ignored this for a while as i presumed it was something to do with it being on 02 for a bit. after a few more weeks it kept appearing more and more, at that point all the signal bar went to 0 and i couldn't make or receive calls, unless i switched it off then back on again, after that it worked fine, and i was able to call and send/recieve texts (until the message appeared again). After a few more weeks this kept happening more and more and I kept missing important calls and texts (as I did not know when it would happen, it just happened at random intervals)I contacted 3 about this problem, and they said it was due to the faulty SIM card, so they sent me a new one, which worked for a while, then the same thing happened again. So I eventually gave up using this phone altogether, and used it solely for the connection to wireless internet and for the music player, which both worked fine.

Yet, earlier I attempted to put my SIM card back into the phone and it stopped working altogether, the message appeared all the time and i could not make a call or send a text whatsoever.I put the same SIM card into 2 different phones, and it worked fine, except my old Nokia 6288 'SIM Card Registration Failed' kept coming up, and has done for quite some time, but it didn't interfere with sending texts or making calls at all.I put a different SIM card into the Nokia N78, and it works perfectly fine, the message does not appear!

So, in short i cannot use my SIM card in my N78, but i can use it in other phones, yet I can use other SIM cards in this phone with no problem.

Any help at all would be greatly apprecaited.
Ads

Old 12-04-2009, 02:54 PM

pcarey is on a distinguished road
Hi,

One thing i would check is the electrical contacts on the phone that press up against the SIM card. Make sure they are all clean looking and not bent out of shape. It is very rare, but it could be a bad connection between the SIM and phone that is causing these problems.

Good luck.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:55 PM

churchbee is on a distinguished road
have had this problem twice.
1.. my wife had an n95 with 3 and i was upgraded by 3 to the 8gb version but did not want it ,so kept my old phone and she put her sim into the 8gb ,it gave that error message , i was told by 3 that either the sim was not compatable or more likely the sim was nackered , they changed it and it worked, altho they said diff sims with diff networks will not always work

2.. recently my wifes phone died and 3 gave her a recondition phone to see out her contract ,after about 4months it gave that error message , after several calls to india they finaly found the fault ,the previous owner had reported it stolen ages ago but then found it and 3 had started the process to block the phone from calls etc ???
they said sorry and gae me 1 months free line rental.. odd or what

Old 13-04-2009, 03:31 PM

Jessicaa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcarey View Post
Hi,

One thing i would check is the electrical contacts on the phone that press up against the SIM card. Make sure they are all clean looking and not bent out of shape. It is very rare, but it could be a bad connection between the SIM and phone that is causing these problems.

Good luck.
I have just put some folded paper behind the sim card to secure it in place, becasue i heard some nokias SIM 'holders' can be quite loose. all is looking well becasue i have had the phone on for 5 minutes and the message hasn't come up!

The again, i did try this method a while ago when i first started encountering this issue, and it didn't work. hopefully this time it might.

Also, i have just tried to download new firmware for this phone, becasue i have seen new updates have been made, but it says no update is available.

This phone has not been reported stolen or anything (well as far as i know it hasn't!) as i have checked it on here : amta.org.au/aoi.asp?ID=Lost_and_Stolen