All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 14-01-2009, 02:56 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
The N79 Active and new Sports Tracker

Nokia has indirectly announced the N79 Active, a "healthy twist on Nokia's smallest Nseries". The standard N79 is being bundled with a Polar Bluetooth WearLink heart rate belt, plus a brand new version of Sports Tracker (which will also be released independently). The N79 Active is expected to ship shortly in "selected territories".

Read on in the full article.

Old 14-01-2009, 03:15 PM

Kazutoyo is on a distinguished road
Nice, but I so wish they would release a N79 with xenon flash. Or a 6220c successor with N-Gage, 3.5mm jack, wifi and good build quality.

I hope we will see something like that on GSMA Mobile World Congress next month

Old 14-01-2009, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazutoyo View Post
Or a 6220c successor with N-Gage, 3.5mm jack, wifi and good build quality.
Yes please.

Old 14-01-2009, 03:39 PM

rcadden is on a distinguished road
Erm, a 6220c with N-Gage, 3.5mm, and WiFi? Isn't that the N82?

Old 14-01-2009, 03:49 PM
Anon

I wonder though, if you buy the heart rate belt and download the new sports tracker app on your N series device, will this work on all N series devices or just the N79 specific to it?

Old 14-01-2009, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
...good point. :-)

OTOH the 6220 has bigger buttons, the N82's small button size did put some people off.
Ads

Old 14-01-2009, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcadden View Post
Its also feature pack 1, and rather ugly. Also the buttons, while seemingly functional, put a lot of people off, me included after trying one.

Old 14-01-2009, 07:50 PM
Unregistered

WOW! A Nokia advert that actually shows the audience what the phone does, instead of the usual mysterious and ambiguous marketing rubbish that Nokia spit out constantly.

Maybe if Nokia made adverts that actually showed you what CWM does clearly without the audience having to solve Nokia's stupid marketing puzzles they would actually be able to shift a few of the devices?

Old 14-01-2009, 08:32 PM
Unregistered

Any word on when this new version of Sports Tracker will be released? The main site still shows version 1.78 but version 1.82 can be obtained from Nokia Research. Anyone know what the new version number is?

Old 14-01-2009, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
WOW! A Nokia advert that actually shows the audience what the phone does, instead of the usual mysterious and ambiguous marketing rubbish that Nokia spit out constantly.
Unregistered, I agree completely!

Adverts which actually work, i.e. get people to buy stuff, tend to:

1. Show the product

2. Show the product doing what it does best

3. Show where you can buy it

4. Show how much it costs.

The first two are the most important, but Nokia's adverts frequently fail to do ANY of those things, which makes them a waste of time and money.

Old 14-01-2009, 09:03 PM
jefferyb

This is the direction sportstracker needed, a bt heart monitor! Now it can actually be used for something more advanced.

Old 15-01-2009, 12:20 AM
Unregistered

PLEASE, Nokia/Polar: release the HRM alone

Title says it all. This would take sports tracker to the next level. I could see this for people who want to do some real training, have maps, etc, but not have to pay for a Garmin Edge 605/705 cyclometer. HRM is the only thing I miss from my old cyclometer since switching to SP on my phone.

Old 15-01-2009, 07:23 AM
Unregistered

How about a sports oriented S60 device to match some of the N Series? Rather than this sort of rehash. Oh, and will Nokia cover the moisture damage on this N79 when people use it to train and sweat? Or is it just a novelty? Nokia?

Old 15-01-2009, 11:44 AM

TomJ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
How about a sports oriented S60 device to match some of the N Series? Rather than this sort of rehash. Oh, and will Nokia cover the moisture damage on this N79 when people use it to train and sweat? Or is it just a novelty? Nokia?
What, like this one?

Last edited by TomJ; 15-01-2009 at 11:47 AM. Reason: tyop...

Old 16-01-2009, 12:01 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I had to fork out 15 for a replacement N95 after I drowned mine during a Cross Country race last January (crossing 5 waist deep water filled ditches), I disposed of the iphone armband and replaced it with a waterproof armband phone holder from
w w w . a q u a p a c . n e t / u k s t o r e / e r o l . h t m l (just remove the spaces).

My N95 fits inside the small version perfectly, even with the slider open for GPS reception. They guarantee it to be waterproof (down to 15 feet and it floats too).