All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 12-01-2009, 06:26 PM

rbrunner is on a distinguished road
Other times, other devices

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster View Post
... that is, to prevent stablity issues due to memory limitations; however, as S60 phones are being shipped with ever larger amounts of RAM and Internal Memory, these restrictions are starting to look both outdated AND unnecessary.
Yes, all those Symbian/S60 standard applications have been written for phones way past, with much less RAM, smaller screens and slower CPUs than today's phones, certainly than the Pre now. That's one of the main advantages if you can start with a clean slate, like the Palm Pre now: You can take all that power for granted when you design your system. The creators of the iPhone also took advantage of this quite nicely.

Of course Nokia could rewrite all their standard applications to get to a higher level - there is nothing in Symbian that would prevent that in any *fundamental* way, and I don't think that all their Symbian programmers are too dumb to develop them.

But by doing so Nokia would alienate a large part of the current user base that will prefer to upgrade to a Nokia phone again "because it works similarly and I don't have to re-learn / re-train everything".

Anyway, geeky people that are in constant search for the phone that is the most flashy *right now* are different from ordinary users, even high-end-smartphone users.

But of course all companies except the one with the currently most flashy phone are doomed to get "an even lower market share". I guess they shake in terror anticipating that

Old 12-01-2009, 09:55 PM
Unregistered

They could have long rewritten the mail client. Actualy unbelievable that it's still not possible to move mails into other folders over IMAP. Also this proven, old browser - ridiculous. Third party apps don't fix this lacks. I don't want to have two browsers on my phone and two mail clients etc. I want well integrated, modern apps. Apple has a good policy in this regard.

Should Nokia take the direction to be less supportive of standards, e.g. slow (as if there is any movement) development of the IMAP client in favour of a special Nokia mail client which connects to their online mail offering, I will get an iPhone 3G.

Nokia has four more months. My contract ends in April.
Ads

Old 13-01-2009, 12:29 AM
Unregistered

Are there any limitations to symbian running the same applications more than once? Aren't a go right now