All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 13-10-2008, 06:32 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
There seem to be quite a lot of people experiencing glitches. None of which show up here.

How did you get your data back on? PC Suite restore? Card? I'd love to know, to build up a picture of whct could be going wrong here. Gut feel says that old v210 system files are getting in the way of v300 firmware, but.....

Old 13-10-2008, 08:02 AM

azraeil is on a distinguished road
I ain't touching this firmware, what with all the issues. They still haven't fixed the Call Log Icons. All calls in the recent call lists will be shown as a mobile call (the icons anyway) and it really bugs the hell out of me to have to go into contacts and find the correct number to call (did I call him on his fixed line or his mobile line first 3 hours ago ... hmmmm)

Old 13-10-2008, 11:03 AM

shadamehr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post
There seem to be quite a lot of people experiencing glitches. None of which show up here.

How did you get your data back on? PC Suite restore? Card? I'd love to know, to build up a picture of whct could be going wrong here. Gut feel says that old v210 system files are getting in the way of v300 firmware, but.....
Steve,

It's not so much GLITCHES that I am seeing or reporting, but feature changes for the worse, or problems that arise.

Such as:

1) Change of java somehow so that the java "Mail by Google" application no longer works (this simply being the same as the java Gmail app, but the one made for GAFYD users).

2) Reply to a message, and now you get dropped back to Standby screen once it is sent, rather than the Inbox where you last were, as for all other Symbian phones, and the prior firmware.

3) Huge battery drain compared to prior firmware - no idea what or why, it's just going down fast fast now.

And whatever other ones I have reported during this thread, that I may forget.

In terms of how I backed up, I did this:

1) Sync'ed contacts using the Switch utility, over to a clean N82.

2) Did the firmware update on the E90, leaving it out of the box clean.

3) Sync'ed my contacts back over from the N82 via BT, using the Switch utility again.

4) Set up manually, all my settings, menu layouts, tones etc.

5) Manually installed those couple of apps, that did not self install straight from memory card. That is to say there weren't many installed anyway.

So overall a pretty clean way of doing things, minus the odd app. already on the card, such as Google Maps.

Hope this helps.

Old 13-10-2008, 01:56 PM
Jeran

Gmail Java Client doesn't work anymore?

Does anyone else gets an error message when trying to start the java gmail client software?

regards,
jeran

Old 13-10-2008, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeran View Post
Does anyone else gets an error message when trying to start the java gmail client software?

regards,
jeran
Erm yes...

The guy in the post immediately before yours - namely ME.

Just like I said *lol*

Albeit, for me, it's the "Mail by Google" java app, not the "Google Mail" one, but it's simply the same thing, but the version for custom domain GAFYD users.

The only resolution, from all the research I have done, is an update to it, by Google themselves, as it seems this "update, so fix" cycle seems to have been running since the 6630 days.

Alternatively, if you can find somehow, the actual .jar file itself, you can do a manual install using that, as it's only the self-contained symbian installer java download that fails. Apparently, if you find a link for the base .jar file only, you can install that, and then it does work.

I have no chance of that, needing the "Mail by Google" .jar, but you might have more luck, only needing the standard "Google Mail" .jar file

Old 13-10-2008, 04:34 PM

wflux is on a distinguished road
Just want to say what was my experience..

Upgrading from 210 to 300 went wrong the first time.. It said to remove the battery and try again. Second time it worked just right. Got my backup on my SD card and restored it in a minute or so.

Switching screens is faster now but i must admit i feel as someone else did that battery life is shorter now. don't know why.. i'll try to test it better.

i don't experience problems when replying an sms. when sent, i just find myself back in my inbox folder!

as others said, flash now says v2, don't know why!

I'm an italian user with italian nobrand moka e90.

Old 13-10-2008, 09:50 PM
Unregistered

firmware v300.34.84 not showing on NSU

I want to update the firmware to the v300.34.84 but the Nokia Software Updater shows the following:

Nokia E90 (RA-6)
Firmware version
Current:7.40.1.2
Update:7.40.1.2

Therefore I cannot update to the latest firmware. Not even the 210.43.75.
Anything I do wrong? I have updated it before from the 7.24.... Thanks, Sandra

Old 15-10-2008, 06:06 AM

machone is on a distinguished road
Angry lies, damn lies, and buggy firmware...

Hi,

Some of you may have been reading my posts in this thread, and I thought I would post to let all know how the saga ended.

Since blackberry connect not working for me is a complete show stopper (my company would require that I get another phone and trash the E90), I had only two choices:

1. Get a newer version of blackberry.
2. Revert to a previous firmware.

Regarding (1), I logged a call with Nokia, and received a response from finland via our local Nokia centre to this effect: it is unlikely that there will be a newer blackberry release, so either live with the new firmware and no blackberry or downgrade to an earlier firmware!. (I did not think this was possible).

This left me with no option but (2), so I took the phone to a nokia care centre, and instructed them to downgrade the firmware, but not before telling them that if they killed the phone, I would expect it to be fixed or replaced.

Sure enough, on trying to revert to the 210 firmware, they killed the phone. I expect either my existing phone back with 210 firmware, or a new phone, today.

Having lived with the new firmware for a few days, I can honestly say that there is nothing tangible contained in it which makes it worth the upgrade, and in fact it seems to introduce a whole new set of bugs and issues which were not present in the very stable 210 version.

If you had upgraded to Maps 2, via download, then you will have the same version that is included in the new firmware, and all of the performance gains mentioned in the forum are so minor that the could easily be a consequence of reflashing the phone and "starting over."

I am at a loss for words at Nokia's actions in removing support for Blackberry: I can understand them not doing any future development, but removing support for existing users is in extremely poor taste.

Clearly Nokia are moving in the direction of direct support for MS Exchange as a corporate solution (see the press release here) but they could have kept existing users happy whilst doing so. An absolutely fundamental flaw of "Mail for Exchange" is that it requires a corporate exchange server to be exposed to the internet, and no corporate IT department in its right mind would allow that.

So, in summary, my message to Nokia is:" How can such a brilliant company make such an incredibly stupid decision?"

Regards,

Mark.

Old 15-10-2008, 09:14 AM

Exclamation

Woh... just a minute...

I was minded to post right at the start, setting a few things straight, but held of. Now however a little "Balance brought to the Force" might be called for.

I fully sympathise with your frustrations, but I see things in a VERY different light to you.

You see, your issue is very much like my issue relating to Gmail Java App no longer working.

So let me indicate a few things...

Why these relevant applications are not working, are on a fundamental level, simply because of changes in the firmware. At a very base level this could be something entirely as simple as the actual version NUMBER itself being reported to the relevant application (in your case Blackberry Connect). This, after all, being how Firefox add-ons are often restricted when a new update to Firefox comes out, and the ONLY thing stopping existing apps working, is the fact that they are hard coded to a version number - not at all for any actual compatibility issues.

So whatever the case, whether it be because of something as simple as a version number change, or because of any actual changes to code in the firmware, nevertheless, we have to accept that this can be the consequence of new firmware.

And from various forums I have read, and items I have googled, this has indeed always been the issue with Blackberry Connect software... when a new Firmware comes out, a new version needs to be written - clearly one hopes, as soon as possible.

Now, this is where things get a bit more vague... The software you refer to... well for me, I find it listed on the RIM site, as if RIM were the author, not Nokia.

And if that is the case, then the onus is on RIM to release a newer version, not Nokia.

But if RIM are merely hosting this app on behalf of Nokia, then nevertheless, I am not for one single second convinced that even a call-back from Nokia Finland telling you that there will be no more versions of it, is anything at all likely to be true.

You clearly say yourself that vast amounts of people rely on this. And let's face it, this is not an N series device - this is the Flagship Nokia Enterprise users device here, the E90, so the very device one would expect Blackberry Connect users to use.

So one call, no matter how high ranking, from Finland, does absolutely NOTHING to convince me, even if it IS Nokia who have the right to answer the question and not RIM, that there will really not be another version.

It sounds far to implausible to be true.

So summarising:

1) Unfortunate the end result is (for both of us, in our own ways), this is a fair and understandable outcome of a new Firmware update. That is to say, that it means a new version of the apps we both need, need to be produced.

2) It is not clear entirely to me, that Nokia even have the right or ability to tell you there will be no more Blackberry Connect, as I always thought this was for RIM to release. But even if that is not the case then see (3) next...

3) Even after a high level call-back from Nokia Finland, assuming they even are the ones to issue the software, then I am anything but convinced that there will be no more Blackberry Connect software for the E90 - the Flagship Nokia Device for Enterprise Users, with a qwerty keyboard.

So I think there are a few errors in the story. Though of course, let me be CLEAR - your suffering is far more than mine, if you rely on Blackberry Connect for your email, I readily understand that. My loss of the Gmail Java app is a mere inconvenience by comparison.

And in terms of the benefits this new Firmware brings, I'm minded to be with you here, in that I don't really make use of Flash that much etc, so the apparent cons, outweigh the pros, for me.

But for many or even most, the new benefits will likely outweigh the downsides, one would think.

Whatever the case though, I hope you get your issue resolved soon, and be sure to keep us updated as to what results mate...

Old 15-10-2008, 05:25 PM

Very quick question:

is anyone of you getting the right Flash Lite version? (v3)?

Mine seems stuck to v2.0! I'm getting this info by entering the flash player in the multimedia menu and then selecting the about menu.

Also, when playing youtube videos, seems slower than before!

Thanks

Old 16-10-2008, 07:20 AM

goose is on a distinguished road
HI Iposted above on the same topic but no response

Old 16-10-2008, 06:12 PM
Unregistered

Thumbs up New BB Connect 8.23.1 now avaialble

I just saw Nokia site has a new bb connect sw.

Nokia S60 BlackBerry Connect 4.0 vers. 8.23.1(.SISX, 2,89 MB)

NOTE: You need software version 300.34.84 on your device. This client is for BlackBerry Connect 4.0. You may use the BlackBerry Connect Desktop software for your PC (see below) to provision your phone but it is not necessary because BlackBerry Connect 4.0 is able to perform Over The Air Enterprise Activation.

reading the description it says it is for 300.34.84

Let us know if this works with the 300.34.84

The link is at businesssoftware.nokia.com/blackberry_downloads.php
Ads

Old 17-10-2008, 06:53 AM

This is a very good piece of news! Anyway, sorry if i insist on this, is anyone getting FL3.0!?

Old 17-10-2008, 08:00 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
How can you tell? The Flash Player in 'Media' isn't the same thing. Flash Lite 3 is something that's more low level, as I understand it.

Old 17-10-2008, 12:48 PM

I've always thought that FL and Flash Player were the same thing, sorry for my misunderstanding!