All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 04-09-2008, 07:46 PM

senoctar is on a distinguished road
Use phone as a webcam and control the phone from PC

Hi,
I recently finished the beta version of a program that you can use to control the phone using PC's keyboard and mouse (while viewing it's screen) and to use the phone's camera as a PC webcam.
You know there are programs that can do that, but mine is free and open source. You can help development with donations but not forced to pay.

What does my app bring new (or has :P ) :
- control the camera's capture size (even sequence of large still photos), night/day exposure, initiate autofocus (also macro), enable flash.
- stream using any internet connection, WiFi, 3G etc., you are not limited to Bluetooth, the phone can be almost anywhere.
- recording for a clip but also recording of actual images with their actual quality.
- player can resize with bicubic algorithm to compensate camera's capture size.
- webcam and ability to control the phone in the same application, (when switching to screen capture mode you can also "touch" the screen and type)

The downside is that there is no webcam driver yet, to broadcast to friend or record, you have to use the same program. However this feature is in research stage and with somme support and requests it will be available soon. Also the framerate is a bit slow for some resolutions, but I am planning on porting libjpeg to symbian for a speed boost.

The project's home page is : http://vrcc.senoctar.com/
From there you can view all it's features, development status etc.
And there is also a page that you can use to vote what you need most (front camera support, pause feature etc.) it will help me plan development so the features you want will be first http://vrcc.senoctar.com/feature-vote.jsp.

Anyway, thanks for reading, i hope you will find the program useful.
Ads