All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 22-06-2008, 01:51 PM
Unregistered

iPhone features...

This comparison is obviously biased.

Simply read about the features of the iPhone device at the following link:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/phone.html

...and you will understand why it is such a great handheld device.

Then if you wish, compare its features and appearance with other phones.

ciao

Old 25-06-2008, 09:43 PM
maddog7

Smile Missr'

My problem with this debate is that that we should not be having it.

It is nothing short of shocking that apple could NOT sort out such a brilliant device with a decent camera, Video capabilities, A2DP, Multimedia messaging and flash (software and hardware 8-).

I think Mr Jobs' total omission of such things in the keynote speaks volumes.

I would imagine that this leaves some stuff to add for the next gen iPhone.

I am not likely to buy into their beautiful but lame new device.

I've used the current iPhone and N95 8GB and the iPhone is without doubt waaay more agile and tactile.

If the new one even had a decent camera and MMS I'd probably overlook it's other shortcomings but as it is I'm going to buy a Black N82 instead and suffer the (comparatively) trashy interface for the sake of functionality.

D

Old 28-06-2008, 10:15 AM
Unregistered

It just works...

I've been a long time Symbian fan with SE P900, 910 and 990 and whilst the iPhone offers no more features than these phones in reality, for what I do with the phone (calls, text, music, e mail) the Apple beats the others hands down. In fact for a mobile the browser is so good I now don't fire the laptop up so often.
The N95 may have on paper have all the horsepower but the pure ease of use of the iPhone means for me I'll be sticking with the iPhone and maybe upgrading to 16gb 3G version shortly. And as a final note after a couple of months of ownership texting with one hand on the iPhone comes naturally.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:51 PM
Unregistered

that video flavor

I was in need of a real 30fps mpeg video recording. The Iphone is surely nicer and more user friendly, but, as someone else wrote above, the 3G is just the beginning... I've been an Apple user for more than 10 years, and I know a little bit the "Jobs policy". Next iteration, in more than one year, will be the real deal, and then I'll consider an Iphone for my "raw" needs. Right now, for me one has a sleek design, the other has the real useful software. My opinion (and I'm a real apple fanantic). And the 5mp camera is not at all bad (and I use a Eos 1 Ds mkIII for work)

Old 13-07-2008, 02:26 AM
moOmOOcOw

people are really serious bout their phones eh? imaging a world without mobiles, internet and television. we would sure to have a larger population crisis than the present.

Old 13-07-2008, 10:10 AM
Unregistered

Angry What are you lot talking about?

The iPhone as a leap forward in technology? Hah. Why are you wasting time and bandwidth comparing iPhones to N95's when you should be comparing iPhones to XDA Orbit 2's (HTC Touch Cruise). The iPhone is pathetic up against the raw power of the XDA. The iphone doesnt support MMS - what moron was responsible for that? The iphone has a 'GPS'? No, it doesnt. It uses the local tower to determine position. Try using Co-Pilot on the XDA, you even get voice directions, something that the iPhone doesnt (what, something else the iphone doesnt do? No!) You are locked into an 02 contract (or AT&T), you cannot change it. If you dare to jailbreak the iPhone for use elsewhere and with 3rd party apps that make the iphone just about useable, you invalidate your warranty. That's right. If it breaks mechanically and you were stupid enough to have changed a single thing from the factory settings, they wash their hands of you - no fix mate, tough luck.

Revolutionary touch screen, so what! Lots of HTC's have touch screens which work better than an iPhone. You can sync it with iTunes? Why would you want to? It means that Apple know everything about you and your habbits. Get a free ripper and play the MP3's in the format that you want. By the way, the HTC/XDA supports up to 32gb flash drives. Knocks the iPhone into a cocked hat dont you think!

You can watch movies, yeah? So what. XDA does it too.

Did I mention that the XDA is a PDA too? The iPhone barely handles a contact list without looking stupid.

So, in summary. The N95 is a nice phone (I had one), dont get me wrong. It does all sorts of neat stuff but if you are going to compare phones, at least try to pick like for like. The N95 is in no way comparable since it doesnt work roughly like the iPhone does. However, the XDA Orbit 2 is and in my opinion is a much more worthy opponent.

May I also point out that whilst the geeks and freaks of the world who should know better are queueing up in the cold night to hand over the best part of $700 a year to Apple, they should consider that they can get a phone that does everything an iPhone does, only better, for about $300 from ebay and best of all, they dont have to use AT&T or O2. I challenge anyone to name one single thing the iPhone does that the Orbit 2 doesnt in real terms (other than sync with iTunes)

Old 15-07-2008, 11:29 AM
Unregistered

3G vs 3.5G

Whaaaa??

I know Nokia n95 is 3.5 G but the iPhone 3G is just 3G or 3.5G capable??????

Old 21-07-2008, 07:14 PM
Unregistered

Talking

nokia has clearly won over the iphone and there is no denying it and iphone owners will have to accept the fact that it still isn't as good as the nokia even though its six months old and still has more features and is overall a better phone and seeing as the iphone only has a 2megapixel camera and doesnt even have mms (which even 20 phones have these days) it still has a long way to go
Ads

Old 27-07-2008, 01:17 PM
Unregistered

There's a surprise !

Seriously , I think we all knew what Steve's test was going to conclude long before the iPhone 3G was even announced

In fact lets take it further , I can tell you that the NEXT incarnation on the iPhone is going to fall "just short" of the N96 , or whatever the flagship S60 device is when the time comes

Proof of the pudding and all that , I know many people with N95 8GB's who have bought iPhones , and are absolutely blown away by them , 8GB's are relegated to the drawer (or ebay) and they are more than happy with their iPhones - pleased that they looked a little further than the spec sheet !

Old 29-07-2008, 03:23 PM
Unregistered

Ask Google: reviews + HTC Touch Cruise.
Some not great reviews out there.
Something to do with no drivers for the chips that HTC use causing the device to be slow.

Old 06-08-2008, 03:27 PM
Unregistered

My 2 cents

In the UK you can get the N95 free for 30 a month on all networks. iphone is 59 on the cheapest plan, and it is only available on O2 (big let down) if apple were going to use only one UK network then I think they should have gone with Vodafone.

Also no MMS, are the kidding me. Thats been one of the biggest developments in mobiles over the past few years, and considering the quality of their camera is no good for anything other than MMS pix why bother.

Also a lot of people say that the N95 is a brick, I would'nt want the iphone in my pocket when I sat down.

I would also like to know what the iphone is like for gaming apps. What with the N95 running N-gage games now.

Old 06-08-2008, 03:40 PM
Unregistered

Xda

I would also just like to agree with the post about the Orbit 2, I also owned an N95 8gb, only changed it because I get bored with handsets very quickly, but I have had the Orbit 2 for a few months now and I rate this phone highly, I have it running google maps, tomtom 6 and co-pilot is installed and they all work perfectly with the built in A-Gps.

I think it's worth a mention that the iphone does not support bluetooth stereo headphones either.

Something I do use, I do think the iphone is a nice piece of kit, but is not deserving of all the praise it gets or the price they charge. I am looking at getting the new Nokia E71, and all the reviews knock it for only having a 3mp camera, yet the same sites rave about the iphone. Thats double standards in my books.

And as far as media players go, the XDA has a version of one of the longest running, windows media player.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:48 PM
Unregistered

Re-gaming

There are plenty of examples of the iPhones gaming perfomance on youtube (look for super monkey ball , crash nitro kart etc

nGage , LOL !

Old 31-08-2008, 06:39 AM
-Jo-

One thing the N95 has going for me has to be the camera: When purchasing a new phone, one of the main features I go for is a great camera. Sure, I could just as easily purchase a higher end camera, but then that would be an additional/unecessary cost. I enjoy taking pictures on the move, and while I'm no professional photographer requiring a multitude of add-ons, I need my pictures to be sharp and clear when blown up. Carrying around an additional high end camera (such as a 10MP DSLR) is simply too much of a hassle when I can achieve the same experience with my N95 8GB.

In this regard, the iPhone is clearly on the losing end here. 2MP is ridiculously low end by today's standards. I'd say that any camera phone worth it's salt has to be at least 3.2MP. And no flash, auto-focus, or video? What gives?

Sure, Apple went all out for the UI, and the iPhone's UI is definitely prettier than the N95 8GB. But in doing so, it seems they threw funtionality out the window.

Oh, and add that to the fact that the N95 8GB is so much cheaper than the iP 3G, and that it has already been out for so much longer, and we have a clear winner as far as I'm concerned.

Old 31-08-2008, 06:48 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
This comparison is obviously biased.

Simply read about the features of the iPhone device at the following link:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/phone.html

...and you will understand why it is such a great handheld device.

Then if you wish, compare its features and appearance with other phones.

ciao
Oh, this has to be the smartest post EVER. To find out why the iPhone is great, read about it on the OFFICIAL APPLE SITE.

Right.

I'm sure the OFFICIAL APPLE SITE will give an HONEST and UNBIASED review about why one of their FLAGSHIP products is deserving of your dollar.

From now on, we should all read only OFFICIAL PRODUCT SITES to make up our minds when buying new products.