All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 11-06-2008, 09:08 PM

Ratkat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post
I guess I ought to respond to some of the above comments!

"OS upgrades" - Apple's updates have been no more dramatic than many Nokia firmware updates, I'd say the two devices were on a par here
"Java" - by this I meant that you can install Java apps

OS Upgrades, except that the N95 8GB doesn't preseve data (unlike the N82) and there is no way Nokia will ever upgrade a Feature Pack 1 device like the N95 to Feature pack 2.

Java, no what you said under Web Browsing was and I quote

Quote:
"A similarly good experience, this time limited by screen real estate and not bandwidth, with very similar browser code (both based on the same open source Web modules). Flash and Java support, including full Flash video."
which is just plain wrong the S60 browser does not support Java only Javascript the same as the iPhone.

Cost Effective Web Design Nximedia

Last edited by Ratkat; 11-06-2008 at 09:25 PM.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
Perhaps this draws a clear line which can never be compromised.

Theres those that want to be able to do everything, and theres those that want a nice, pretty and easy to use UI.

No-one has managed to combine both yet, and to be quite honest I dont think its possible.

How can you possibly get all the options you have on the current nokias into a UI like the iphone? I just dont think you can do it.

You want all those features for your 5MP camera? That requires submenus Im afraid.

Last edited by bartmanekul; 11-06-2008 at 10:26 PM.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:26 PM
Unregistered

Biggest Difference

The main difference I see is that with the original Apple gave people the bare minimum but made it GOOD. The focus was on those three things we kept reading iPod, Phone, Web. They've been busy filling in the missing bits with the software updates and the new 3G hardware update but they know they have a long way to go. They have a plan!

Nokia, on the other hand, have got so many devices and so many different markets to look at, they keep loosing focus. They have the most feature rich hardware and one of the best software platforms - but guess what - barely any of their customers use the phones to their full potential. They have E series devices with features the N series buyer want - but isn't allowed to have!! (And the same on the other side). I can imagine why they'de like to keep N-Gage to a specific set of devices - the hardware has top be there, but why would they keep software features locked to a small set of devices without a real world purpose?

I think Symbian is the most advanced mobile os in the world (to coin a phrase) but Nokia, SE and others have never used it's full potential because they've restricted themselves to specific criteria - which is fine when you need to grow your feature set but lacks foresight.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:27 PM

Menneisyys is on a distinguished road
Quote:
"5MP might as well be 2MP" - Sorry, you're just plain wrong here. I've done a few articles on this in my time....
Yup, no use to compare the iPhone camera to that of the N95 or even the, in this regard, somewhat (compared to the N95 / N82) inferior N95 8GB. The Nokia has waaaaaaaaaay better camera - not to mention video recording.

Quote:
"Java" - by this I meant that you can install Java apps

1. You might want to dedicate an entire row to this as MIDP (MIDlet) support has nothing to do with the built-in browser. Putting "Java" in a web browser evaluation rows either refers to Java applets or, if you don't take into account the difference, JavaScript. (Also see my multiplatform W3C speech on these issues if interested.)

(2. Sun promises a MIDlet environment for iPhone. It;s, however, still not known if and when it becomes available.)

Quote:
"Mobitubia clunky" - NO - Mobitubia is superb in its latest version. And silky smooth
Well, Mobitubia DOES have problems with SOME (about 10%) of videos. It's only CorePlayer that plays everything w/o problems - at least in FLV (QVGA) mode. (When it receives H.264 hardware acceleration support, it hopefully will play back H.264 videos too with all its advantages; most importantly, 44 kHz stereo sound).

Make sure you all read my YouTube Bible (in the N95 forum here); in there, I've elaborated on ALL these questions.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:32 PM

Menneisyys is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Frain View Post
The 5MP stills camera is quite another thing however. Whilst the hardware is probably up to great snaps, the photo taking software in the N95 8GB is so slow and unintuitive I hardly bother using it. A quick example: I can't even set my own preferred user setting to default. Every time I want to take a quick snap I have to wait for the camera to load (it's quite slow), then change all the settings, then take the picture. By which time the moment has invariably passed. Furthermore, there is such large amounts of jpeg compression applied, it may as well be a 2MP camera!

While I don't really know the camera app in the N95 8GB, the one in the v21 N95 is excellent. Also, the JPEG compression isn't THAT big. Are you sure you've left the app in its default parameters? then, it won't use much compression. (At least not on the N95. I don't know if the 8GB is different in this respect.)

BTW, a completely unrelated remark: many of us consider the N95 superior to the 8GB. Even Steve (if it was him that published the "which is the best: N82, N95, N95 8GB" some months ago). Why don't compare the N95 - instead of the N95 8GB - to the non-Symbian alternatives?

Old 12-06-2008, 05:24 AM
Unregistered

ya know..

I have an n95-3, which I love. But I cant help but feel that nobody give the iPhone's Durability a fair judgement. it IS one of the most durable phones, (that is not designed to be a brick), where as my n95 started showing signs of paint chips on the buttons after 2 months.

metal and tempered glass is what all high class electronics should be made out of... I don't why the Eseries phones get special treatment.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:49 AM
Unregistered

Thumbs down Totally BIASED Comparison :P New iPhone STILL cannot match OLD N95

In fact it is such a WRONG comparison...

First you are comparing with OLD Nokia.... Lets talk iPhone 2 vs N96 ... then we good to go!..lol do you have any doubt who is going to WIN.... even the meticore N82 is leap and bound ahead of iPhone...

The fact remains... no matter what iPhone still is and will always be a money minting machine for Apple....

In comparison Nokia brings up INNOVATION and EXCELLENT Products.... ... true no touch screen (yet) BUT.... there is NO comparison...

the N82 EASILY beats iPhone2 in ALL Aspects .....

Let's talk about MONEY .... the $200 iPhone.... HOLD ON WAIT A MINUTE... you have to SIGN a CONTRACTTTTTTTTTTTtttt.....

So $70 * $24 + $200 ... that's Freaking $1880...$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and for a NETWORK LOCKED....

HAVE you guys thought about YOUR OWN PRIVACY?

DO YOU KNOW APPLE IS GOING TO CAPTURE PHOTOGRAPHS AND FINGER PRINTS.... THAT's why NO ONLINE SALES!.........

Last edited by slitchfield; 12-06-2008 at 09:44 AM. Reason: reducing user's silly font size

Old 12-06-2008, 06:53 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Yeah, but it's still glass, however well treated. Compared to the plastic of the N95's display. I know which I'd rather bet on when dropped onto the supermarket floor or pavement.

[BTW, thanks guys for the Java comments - I don't know what I was thinking and I've removed the offending couple of words in the article.]

Old 12-06-2008, 09:32 AM
Unregistered

Japanese input

I have plenty of Japanese friends and from what I understand there will be a Japanese input option for use within the iPhone, that'll seal the deal for me sadly. I say sadly cause I really want a 5mp camera in my phone so I don't need two devices.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:52 AM

Sergey Zak is on a distinguished road
I'm with Frank completely.
Sure, Symbian smartphones have more features, but those are 'geek-only' features. Not many people are eager to use them. And finding 'normal audience' really usable features can be quite painful. The default menu setup is a mess.
iPhone has less features but completely visible (not hidden in Submenus/MORE buttons/Options buttons) and accessible (all on the standby screen).
Heck, just the Access Point selection between WiFi/Cell in every application drives me crazy!
Now, to solve those craziness, they have not fixed the OS (which could have had an AP Prefs list) but started to introduce Default/Standby AP concept in every 'new' app, like E-Mail, Mail for Exchange, N-Gage etc. Now if I get home I still need to change settings, but now it's more difficult (I have to go to Options).
What a mess! And for how long...

Last edited by Sergey Zak; 12-06-2008 at 10:12 AM.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:04 PM
Unregistered

The Iphone's ability to sync beautifully with iTunes is it's main advantage. It's inability(legally) to do multi-tasking makes me consider the stability/security of OSX on the Iphone. Programing in C objective alone aren't going to give programmers enough power.
The Iphone has an advantage of getting free marketing on every media. Certainly the marketing budget for the Iphone must be minimal.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:05 PM

Ben Frain is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys View Post
While I don't really know the camera app in the N95 8GB, the one in the v21 N95 is excellent. Also, the JPEG compression isn't THAT big. Are you sure you've left the app in its default parameters? then, it won't use much compression. (At least not on the N95. I don't know if the 8GB is different in this respect.)
You're kidding right? Using the default parameters a 5MP image from the N95 8GB is saved on the N95 8GB at around 500-900K? I don't know what you define as 'big' amounts of compression but if you are happy with that you may want to get down to specsavers...

I have a compact 3.2MP Pentax that produces images around 3-4MB and my SLR's start with JPEGS around the 6MP mark. 500-900K is unusable for any serious work. Which therefore relegates it to being 'just for kicks' like the iPhones. I'm not defending the iPhone camera because it is pants. I'm just saying the N95 8GB implementation needs a lot of work.

Old 12-06-2008, 03:00 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Sorry, but that's rubbish. A lot depends on the quality of the JPG compression - a well crafted 1MB image might be far better than a badly crafted 5MB one. Size isn't, contrary to the spam I get each day in my email inbox, everything.

Neither are megapixels everything. There are many, many factors involved in producing a good and useable image. I'll admit that the N95's images might not satisfy a full-time professional photographer, but they're a whole generation better than the miserable images from the iPhone - I've tested each in identical conditions.

Old 12-06-2008, 03:42 PM

Ben Frain is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Sorry, but that's rubbish. A lot depends on the quality of the JPG compression - a well crafted 1MB image might be far better than a badly crafted 5MB one. Size isn't, contrary to the spam I get each day in my email inbox, everything.

Neither are megapixels everything. There are many, many factors involved in producing a good and useable image. I'll admit that the N95's images might not satisfy a full-time professional photographer, but they're a whole generation better than the miserable images from the iPhone - I've tested each in identical conditions.
Steve I have also tested both at length and, as already stated, I don't argue that the images produced by the iPhone are risible and the N95 8GB's are better. But a 'whole generation better'? I would strongly argue that claim.

The facts speak for themselves: the still images produced by the N95 8GB are not only poor, especially given the lip-service paid to it's technical specs - they are also slow to capture and store. Whether this is due to CPU intensive compression algorithms/writing to the on board memory etc I would think only a Nokia engineer could tell you for sure. However...

Steve, are you seriously trying to argue that the N95 8GB is employing an incredibly sophisticated JPEG compressor that can crunch an image to that size (500-900K) without compromising quality? If so I suggest they outsource it to Canon and Nikon...

If this is your hypothesis, and it is correct (the compression technique does this without sacrificing image quality) then the N95 8GB truly has got an awful camera!

It simply isn't a realistically sized file for a photo of any quality of that pixel dimension (5MP).

Old 12-06-2008, 06:24 PM

MWEB is on a distinguished road
The Iphones build quality is streets ahead, as is the screen, and whats this bumpf about a "professional lens" ?. Only the BT and camera are huge advantages in the n95 8gb's favour.
Ads