All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 11-06-2008, 01:11 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
In depth - Apple iPhone 3G versus Nokia N95 8GB

Nine months ago, Steve looked at the then-new Apple iPhone, pitched against the also-new Nokia N95 8GB flagship - with the release of the iPhone 3G, it's high time for a rematch. It's evident that the iPhone 3G has closed the gap and wins in some areas, but there are still holes in its functionality that you could drive a motorhome through, leading to another overall N95 8GB victory.

Read on in the full article.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:49 PM

Ratkat is on a distinguished road
Steve, the S60 browser does NOT support Java.
It does along with the iPhone support Javascript.

Cost Effective Web Design Nximedia

Last edited by Ratkat; 11-06-2008 at 02:25 PM.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:00 PM

Wolfcat is on a distinguished road
"in use, requires two hands to use most of the time, proving a little restrictive. "

yes a phone is a one handed device... :-)

and bluetooth what were they thinking...

and the nokia won't be a target for muggers anymore they will be to busy stealing itouches then returning them to the owner saying get the phone...

and the battery.... don't forget the time you don't have your phone...

but then it is all hype..
http://www.wolfcat.com.au/randomrant...06/postid-105/

Last edited by Wolfcat; 11-06-2008 at 02:01 PM. Reason: forgot to add comments about the battery and a link to site discuss bad media hype.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:07 PM
Unregistered

Though I'm very content with my N95 and would have approved this conclusion for the last iPhone this simply is not true. I would choose the 3G IPhone any day...

But hey, more than one year difference in release... not too bad a feat! (So Nokia, when is that yet to be released überphone coming :-D)

Old 11-06-2008, 02:16 PM

Wolfcat is on a distinguished road
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iphone#iPhone_3G

have a look at the dot points for what is new..
3g, different battery, gps

thats it.

Everyone can go home now... nothing to see move on.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:21 PM
josep

"...try to be totally objective..."

This review is hardly impartial when it's littered with 'awesome' etc. A side by side comparison shouldn't have any subjective adjectives.

Also,
"pouched/cased by necessity" is not true

"In use, requires two hands to use most of the time, proving a little restrictive."

Not true, most of the time it requires one hand only, unless one is doing text input, say for sms or email, and fast text input on N95 would require two hands also.

"Possible target for muggers?"
C'mon?!!

Note, iphone also supports TV-OUT with widescreen on/off and PAL/NTSC options

Old 11-06-2008, 02:23 PM

mention should also be made of the updating facility on both devices

Nokia release firmware upgrades, but never upgrade the core OS (ie feature pack 1 to feature pack 2 etc)
Apple on the other hand, with GPS and 3G data functions aside update all existing iPhones to version 2 of the iPhone OS (also iPod Touch for a small charge of $9.95)

And anyone who has either a current iPhone or iPod touch in the UK will know that you can use the BBC catch up service the BBC iPlayer, it works superbly.

I must admit somewhat sadly that I am starting to lean towards the iPhone after years of Symbian devices, mainly because the newer devices (N96 & N78) don't really offer anything new over the N95 8GB and N82. So as I have no intention of getting an N96 I may just keep my N82 and go for an iPhone 3G.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:24 PM
Unregistered

Exclamation voicemode

Steve. it is just not fair to compare input options of ANY nokia s60 3rd with Iphone. There is program - voicemode- superb speech recognition that i use for more then half a year. I simply forgot about using keys. The speed of inputing text is like on fly and i am not native English speaking person(they promise support for 5 more languages).
Ads

Old 11-06-2008, 02:24 PM

Ben Frain is on a distinguished road
One killer app/capability for me on the N95 8GB is the Podcasting suite - downloading podcasts (e.g. over Wi-Fi) without any need to connect to a desktop. iPhone really needs to add that functionality (I'm sure it will come from a third party source soon enough).

The video side of the N95 8GB, something entirely lacking (officially) from the iPhone, is also very very good - perfectly suitable for impromptu events you want to capture.

The 5MP stills camera is quite another thing however. Whilst the hardware is probably up to great snaps, the photo taking software in the N95 8GB is so slow and unintuitive I hardly bother using it. A quick example: I can't even set my own preferred user setting to default. Every time I want to take a quick snap I have to wait for the camera to load (it's quite slow), then change all the settings, then take the picture. By which time the moment has invariably passed. Furthermore, there is such large amounts of jpeg compression applied, it may as well be a 2MP camera!

Despite the absolute powerhouse features of the N95 8GB I still can't help but feel it is an incredible chore to use. I mean just the way you write a text message prevents me from bothering half the time (I believe they need to at least get messaging on the N95 8GB up their with SE's implementation) - it is SOOOO long winded. Internet browsing is a similar case for me. The capability is there, just not the will to suffer using it. Sure it's great that it can do all these things - but all these things, even though not quite as good/powerful on the iPhone actually get used on that device because it's simple to do so.

www.benfrain.com

Last edited by Ben Frain; 11-06-2008 at 02:48 PM.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josep View Post
This review is hardly impartial when it's littered with 'awesome' etc. A side by side comparison shouldn't have any subjective adjectives.

Also,
"pouched/cased by necessity" is not true

"In use, requires two hands to use most of the time, proving a little restrictive."

Not true, most of the time it requires one hand only, unless one is doing text input, say for sms or email, and fast text input on N95 would require two hands also.

"Possible target for muggers?"
C'mon?!!

Note, iphone also supports TV-OUT with widescreen on/off and PAL/NTSC options
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1454

Old 11-06-2008, 02:56 PM

Hardeep1singh is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Awesome Comparison Steve,

N95 is still streets ahead of the iphone.

Apple has always been just hype and hot air, extremely outrageous headlines like 'Apple killed Windows Mobile etc' not withstanding, this comparison really puts the iphone in its place. They still have a lot more work to do before they can compete with a seasoned mobile manufacturer like Nokia.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:01 PM
Unregistered

iPhone uses the MBX lite and the N95 8gb wastes the MBX within the OMAP2420

Old 11-06-2008, 03:03 PM

leoni1980 is on a distinguished road
what gets me interested.....

It is true that neither device supports Java, only javascript - yes, BOTH support javascript.

Nokia devices support flash, true, but after waiting since last October for the release of FL3.0 I am sorely disappointed with the quality and usability of it. Going on the fact that I generally only need flash for Youtube I am here drawn more to The Iphone with its OFFICIAL high-quality Youtube client (and unofficial downloader) than the Symbian Flashlite capability which is SEVERELY handicapped - it doesn't work at all on most of my favourite flash sites.
Mobitubia (the Youtube client) is garish, clunky and unsatisfactory in my eyes.

COME BACK EMTUBE!!!!!

There is a huge amount of development for the Iphone and obvious support from Google and the BBC. I don't doubt that Channel 4 will release a 4od client soon and there's already a DEDICATED ORB client and a superbly slick Fring client - all of which sit happily in the background while you run other applications.
Coreplayer is in development for the Iphone meaning that soon Iphone users will be able to view almost any video format without conversion.

There is no reason why both the Iphone 3g and standard Iphone can't be updated to support any bluetooth profile (when they finally decide that this will be a worthwhile exercise!). Apple seem to like to hold things back until they've got them dusted.

Currently I'm happy with my N95 - it's still a damn good device; but perhaps therein lies the problem. It's now over a year since my N95-1 was released and there is nothing better out there yet: no Touchcreen, no higher-resolution screen, nothing to get excited about. Sure there was an 8gb version with extra RAM and a slightly bigger screen (with resultant lower ppi count)

but is this an exciting upgrade?

And what will the N96 offer us? QVGA screen (again) same camera, 16gb of storage (I don't even use all my 8gb) and a tv service which doesn't work in the Uk and will be of limited appeal beyond the novelty factor.

What does the Iphone 3g potentially offer me that I don't have?

A much more enjoyable browsing experience. So enjoyable in fact that the first time I tried the browser on a Touch was like the first day I got broadband.

The best mobile Email client ever. Period.

GPS with a responsive, accelerometer-driven screen (roll on Tomtom) and the best Googlemaps client available for mobiles.

A music player with no match, which actually plays album art.

Great battery life.

Support from the BBC and google for apps such as the Iplayer and Youtube . Popular sites will invariably release Iphone applications, negating the need for Flashlite for most people.

Orb client which is easier to use than a browser based app, and which allows audio and video streaming WHILST multitasking. Strange that the N95 is unable to offer this feature without pausing and re-buffering every time.

I wish Nokia would use a little more imagination. If the Iphone 3g comes out on T-Mobile in the next 6 months I have no doubt that I'll be getting one.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:11 PM

st3ph3n is on a distinguished road
I'd like to see this revisited when verison 2.0 of the iPhone software is available please.

A lot of the article appears to be based on known hardware specs of iPhone 3g but current software specs.

iPhone 1 doesn't interest me but the new one does pending the improvements delivered in the new software release combined with 3G.

Most of Steve's negatives would appear to be software related. The whole one handed/two handed thing is a personal preferance too. I wouldn't see this as a pro for one and a con for the other.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:15 PM

Aurial is on a distinguished road
It doesn't need to be in a pouch or case, check this video out:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=czCCavcnNd8

I have to say leoni1980, I think I'm with you. I'm finding myself more and more tempted by the new iPhone.

I make a lot of long journeys by train and sometimes at work I'm sat around for literally hours with nothing to do. I quite fancy the idea of being able to watch movies or episodes of my favorite shows while I'm doing it. It's just not practical on the N95. The ease of syncing this content with the iPhone is another big draw for me as a past iPod owner.

The browser too. The N95 one is good, but sometimes I think to myself I just can't be bothered starting it up and waiting ages for it to render a page, and then having to tedously scroll around to find the text I want. Then sometimes it doesn't resize it right and I have to scroll left and right. It's just a chore sometimes.

Then I look at all the apps which are either coming or are available 'unofficially' like the NES emulator. The port of Super Mario Bros 3 looks amazing! And a lot of the shortcomings of the device which people complain about have already been resolved in these apps, i.e. the lack of video recording. I'm sure bluetooth will only be a matter of time.

Last edited by Aurial; 11-06-2008 at 03:30 PM.