All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 11-02-2008, 09:38 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
The Nokia N96 is now official

Nokia has announced the N96, its new flagship in the Nseries, with quad band reception, DVB-H (digital TV), 16GB of internal flash memory and microSD expansion. It runs S60 3rd Edition, Feature Pack 2. For thoughts, photos and specs, read on.

Read on in the full article.
Ads

Old 11-02-2008, 10:02 AM
unregistered

Cool A very good one but ,

only a 950mAH battery is too bad !!
only QVGA TFT display with a 6.1 inch diagonal display (2.8 inches) , i dint understand this !!!!

Old 11-02-2008, 10:13 AM
Mr. Tight Pants

Thumbs up Uber

I hope the battery got injected with steroids or AGH (Alkaline Growth Hormone) other wise everything about this phone makes me pitch a tent in my pants =) This phone is SOOO Uber.

Old 11-02-2008, 10:17 AM

Orophin Anwarunya is on a distinguished road
Lets hope the OS technologies within FP2 will work at optimising power usage so we wont feel much of a hit on the 950mAh.

Very nice device. Shame its a long way from release.

|\__/|
( ^_^)

Old 11-02-2008, 10:22 AM
Unregistered

Nice but not a large enough step to tempt me. The battery is no problem for me, I get an easy 2 days+ on the N95 classic.

I see the dimensions are creeping upwards, an extra 4mm on length, the N95 classic is already at the limit of the size of brick I want to be carrying everywhere, I would be looking for a size reduction, not increase.

Also, why do they stick with the reverse slide music player buttons? They seem fairly pointless because all the controls are duplicated and it causes an involuntary screen rotation. Losing the reverse slide would simplify the slider mechanism and potentially reduce the overall size.

The N95 classic is too big but I tolerate it. I think because the iPhone is so large Nokia think they can get away with this bloat.

Old 11-02-2008, 10:41 AM
Administrator

krisse is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The N95 classic is too big but I tolerate it. I think because the iPhone is so large Nokia think they can get away with this bloat.
I have to agree with this, high profile phones nowadays are getting a bit big, even the N81 feels a bit chunky.

It doesn't have to be like this, the 6120 and E51 are tiny but have perfectly respectable specs, but no one ever hypes these models.
Internet Tablet School - Tutorials on how to use Nokia Internet Tablets

Old 11-02-2008, 10:45 AM

ajck is on a distinguished road
Nice piece of kit. I can't imagine Nokia wouldn't have done something significant to address the battery issue, even if it is the lower capacity.

Anyway - the DVB-H - is this any use to us in the UK at all? Any broadcasts we can watch? I thought this was only use in Europe.

Secondly, the SDTV out resolution - is this higher than the N95? Does it apply to web browser etc?

What I really want is a 6120 classic sized device with TV out. Doesn't have to have N95 level hardware, but TV out would be very good.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:08 AM
Unregistered

No touchscreen?

As a previous owner of the N95, and since, the iPhone, this would've brought me back to Nokia if it had the touchscreen capabilities. Nokia are lagging behind on that front. Apple introduced a breakthough last year with the touchscreen technology, and future phones should follow. Browsing is such a nice experience on a touchscreen device, but in my opinion, the N95 browsing (and anything else for that matter) was similar to having to use the keyboard on a PC (cursor keys, Alt +F etc), as opposed to a mouse. The Lobster (Windows Mobile) had a built in TV tuner, and failed miserably.

The N96 is a much slicker looking device than the N95 brick, but it doesn't really give us anything new.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:19 AM

jinx405 is on a distinguished road
agreed... its not a big enough step from the n95 for me to upgrade.. yet. but it surely looks absolutely gorgeous though.. and 16gb plus an sd card slot - nokia have been listening to us

Old 11-02-2008, 11:21 AM

yade is on a distinguished road
This is just like when they turned an N93 into N93i

I dont think there are many improvements. I prefer N95 8GB Styling. The On board mass memory and microSD is nice but unneccesarry for me.

The screen being QVGA is not a prob, after all we have been watchin PAL/NTSC on huge screens for many years without a complaint.

The battery puzzles me, physically the 1050mAh batter in the N81/82 is smaller than the BL-5F so couldnt they have used that if they had no space for the BL-6F, bizzare!!

DVB-H doesnt interest me and availability is so small that it wont be much use in this phone and when it does kick off I am sure Nokia will have released a few more handsets anyway.

Surely they could have added a zenon flash instead of 2 LED's. 2 LED's against 1 wont improve things but a zenon would. I believe they didnt because they dont want to reduce N82 sales.

I just dont get it, I get why they did the N95 8GB but I dont get this 1 at all!

Old 11-02-2008, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Quote:
The Lobster (Windows Mobile) had a built in TV tuner, and failed miserably.
I think the problem there was that the TV tuner was the central feature, and the standard they used wasn't DVB-H.

No one is going to buy a phone mainly because of mobile TV, but mobile TV might take off if it is a side-feature in enough phones.

IMHO though, the future of mobile TV is in sites like YouTube where you can get millions of channels on demand instead of just a few dozen live streams. YouTube's 10 minute clip limit also suits mobile viewing very well.

Quote:
I just dont get it, I get why they did the N95 8GB but I dont get this 1 at all!
Maybe we'll see an N96 32GB appearing a short while after the N96, which fixes all the problems of the original N96? :-)

Old 11-02-2008, 11:24 AM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by unregistered View Post
only a 950mAH battery is too bad !!
only QVGA TFT display with a 6.1 inch diagonal display (2.8 inches) , i dint understand this !!!!
Agree! Same boring screen, same boring design, and more brick then N81... Each new phone is the same as previous...

Old 11-02-2008, 11:25 AM

yade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx405 View Post
agreed... its not a big enough step from the n95 for me to upgrade.. yet. but it surely looks absolutely gorgeous though.. and 16gb plus an sd card slot - nokia have been listening to us
Listening with selective hearing.

If they did a survey of what consumers wanted where do you think DVB-H would have come in that??

They had a chance to build the perfect device on their current hardware platform but fell short mainly as a way to keep people hooked for the next round later this year. This is just ruthless business stopping us consumers being entirely happy

Old 11-02-2008, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Quote:
They had a chance to build the perfect device on their current hardware platform but fell short mainly as a way to keep people hooked for the next round later this year. This is just ruthless business stopping us consumers being entirely happy
I think "ruthless" is the wrong word, no one is being forced to buy any of these phones.

If you don't think a model is good enough, vote with your wallet and wait for the next one or buy a rival's. That's the language that companies really take notice of, and it's the language they will respond to.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:33 AM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
...vote with your wallet and wait for the next one or buy a rival's. That's the language that companies really take notice of, and it's the language they will respond to.
Yessss!