All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 21-01-2008, 10:41 PM

radioahead is on a distinguished road
Phone bricked after flash and backup

I read the warnings about using the Nokia backup utility, and I found them to be slightly equivocal, so I went ahead and did it. I wish I hadn't now. I'm being told that the phone startup has failed, and that I should contact my service centre, or something like that.

The phone worked fine after I installed the v15 firmware from the Vodafone version I had before. It was the restore thing that did it.

Is there anything I can do at home? If not, could someone please show me some sympathy?

Old 21-01-2008, 11:07 PM

Pheonix SZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioahead View Post
I read the warnings about using the Nokia backup utility, and I found them to be slightly equivocal, so I went ahead and did it. I wish I hadn't now. I'm being told that the phone startup has failed, and that I should contact my service centre, or something like that.

The phone worked fine after I installed the v15 firmware from the Vodafone version I had before. It was the restore thing that did it.

Is there anything I can do at home? If not, could someone please show me some sympathy?
If in doubt, leave it out.

I've not heard of a restore from backup doing that, as yet.

Restoring 'settings' is what causes aggro.
The phone is retrievable at a Nokia SC.

But next time, heed the warning signs, bite the bullet, do it the right way and reinstall all afresh.
It doesn't take THAT long - and it's pretty satisfying once done.

Old 21-01-2008, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix SZ View Post
If in doubt, leave it out.

I've not heard of a restore from backup doing that, as yet.

Restoring 'settings' is what causes aggro.
The phone is retrievable at a Nokia SC.

But next time, heed the warning signs, bite the bullet, do it the right way and reinstall all afresh.
It doesn't take THAT long - and it's pretty satisfying once done.
To be clear, this happened after I used the Content Copier application on PC Suite in an attempt to retrieve my contacts. What should I have used then?

Old 22-01-2008, 08:52 AM

Matt.C is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioahead View Post
To be clear, this happened after I used the Content Copier application on PC Suite in an attempt to retrieve my contacts. What should I have used then?
I manually copied and pasted mine from the phone to my laptop, which worked fine.

Old 22-01-2008, 09:32 AM

HoundDog is on a distinguished road
I use PC Suite and just sync it with Outlook.

radiohead, try holding down * 3 and Green while turning on the phone and keep holding them until 'Nokia' appears on the display. It'll reformat the phone back to the last firmware upgrade.

Old 22-01-2008, 10:55 PM

M0shy is on a distinguished road
did the same... check out the advice i got, which fixed the problem.

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ad.php?t=68645
Ads

Old 24-01-2008, 06:10 PM

Thank you Moshi, Hound Dog and Matt C. The hard reset is done and done. I can stop grieving now!

I took the phone the day after my original post to the Nokia Service Centre in Newcastle, which is Tyne Tees Telecom. They said that they couldn't do anything with it - they couldn't make it boot up at all. They handed it back to me with a Nokia freepost form.

They did tell me something very interesting though. When they searched for my imei, they found, on the nokia site that they have, that it had been recorded that I had changed my product code, and that I had updated my software the day before. Furthermore, my imei and information were written in red, as opposed to black like all the other imeis.

They told me that this knowledge of nokia's about what product code your phone was was entirely new - it had only been in operation for the last two days.

So there you are. Nokia are recording the imeis of the phones using NSU, and now cross matching these against the original product code of the phone, and blacklisting (or redlisting) the transgressers! Do any forum members work at a NSS to confirm this?

Oh.. by the way.. should I reflash my phone to the newest version? I can't quite bring myself to......?

Old 24-01-2008, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
well, I dunno why Nokia want to do that, unless its to cover their ass v. the service providers. Its Nokia firmware on a nokia phone... so what the problem?

Did you see this on a screen or on a piece of paper?? Would be interesting to find out if its true.

Old 24-01-2008, 07:07 PM

Neither - it was reported to me by a member of staff - a phone engineer. It is a pretty disturbing development. He seemed surprised by it - I don't think it was designed to scare me or anything. Another member of staff backed him up - he was the one who said it had only been like that for a couple of days.

I plugged my phone into NSU already, I do have version 15 now anyway, and it didn't seem to recognise me as an evil-phone-user of any type. Obviously *3Green just deleted the rogue settings that I'd introduced.

Old 24-01-2008, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
yeah, interesting stuff

Old 17-01-2010, 09:54 PM

andy5148 is on a distinguished road
Hi

I have a nokia 6600 slide and tried to update and just as it started to install the phone turned off and since wont turn on it flashes fopr a second then nothing is there anything i could do without havin to take it to nokia? all help would be much needed thank you