All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 01-12-2007, 08:58 PM

vamsposato is on a distinguished road
Unhappy N91 8GB - Fundamental problem in connecting to signal

Hello all,

I purchased a Nokia N91 in February, yet it had a number of serious problems. It was in Nokia Service three times, each time for at least two months ( ). Nokia finally decided to give me a new phone; I received a new Nokia N91 8GB a few days ago. I am having serious difficulty placing or receiving calls and sending or receiving messages.

My phone says that I am fully connected; my provider's name is listed (Wind) and full signal strength is indicated. Strangely enough, however, I can rarely make or receive calls. If I turn the phone off and turn it back on, I am able to make a single phone call. After that phone call, the phone is unable to make calls (it shows that the number is being called, but nothing happens and finally the "call" is ended).

I am using the same SIM card that I was using in the N91 and it never had connection issues like these. I am trying to determine if there is an issue with my SIM card or if the problem is with the phone itself.

As previously mentioned, I have Wind, an Italian cell provider. It is a 64k SIM card. When I brought the phone to Wind, they were unable to provide any assistance. I did, however, try inserting a 128k SIM card from a friend's phone who is a TIM (Telecom Italia Mobile) customer. This SIM card worked to make a phone call, but no calls could be received. Is there a certain type of SIM card that must be used with the N91 8GB to ensure functionality?

I am not sure if there is something locked on the phone that I have not yet discovered (locked incoming or outgoing calls) or something of that nature. I know the natural thing to do is to bring it directly to Nokia, but since I have not head the best of experiences with them, I am trying if at all possible, to resolve the issue myself.

I realize this is a bizarre question/problem, but any assistance or guidance would be sincerely appreciated. I hate to say it, but I truly believe that this will be the last Nokia I purchase; I am frustrated beyond words.

Sincere thanks,

Vincenzo

Old 15-12-2007, 08:22 AM

music101 is on a distinguished road
Wierd

Hi

I have never heard of anything like this. I wonder if it has something to do with your network set up where you are. For fun set the phone to GSM only mode (not UMYS or dual) and see if the problem goes away.

music
Ads

Old 09-08-2008, 05:08 PM

jgonzale is on a distinguished road
Just joined this forum and don't visit much but sow your post. I am actualy having this problem too. I have had my phone for about 2yrs now and just started doing this alot. I press the send button and does the same thing or sometimes does not even dial the number and I need to turn off the phone. Have you been able to find a fix or figure out the prob?