All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 23-11-2007, 11:27 PM

boomam is on a distinguished road
Removing Failed.

Hi.
Today i put the new generic firmware on my phone, replacing the previous Vodafone branded firmware. (N95 8Gb btw).
Upon boot of the phone it proceeded to install any apps i had previously installed on my phone.
However, theres 4, that are VF branded, GoogleMaps, eBay, YouTube & Messenger, that still appear, and wont remove.
Ive tryed accessing the memory card and removing the reg files for them and the bit in private, but they still appear!

Ive heard that reinstalling the software then removing it works. Im fine with doing that, as i want the unbranded version of YouTube, GoogleMaps & eBay on my phone.
The problem is that i cant find any installers off the web for them, and it would still leave me with the problem with the messenger app.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance all. .

Old 24-11-2007, 11:12 AM

sbc is on a distinguished road
That's the exact reason why you have to format your memory card BEFORE upgrading the firmware. Nothing to do but doing it over again, this time remembering the memory card.

Yes, I know it's the 8GB but the situation is still the same. Empty the drive and reflash the firmware.

Old 24-11-2007, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbc View Post
That's the exact reason why you have to format your memory card BEFORE upgrading the firmware. Nothing to do but doing it over again, this time remembering the memory card.

Yes, I know it's the 8GB but the situation is still the same. Empty the drive and reflash the firmware.
Im doing that now:

Backing up my pics/maps folders.
Set the phone to format the flash drive.
Use the NSU to reinstall the firmware again.
See if the apps are there (hopefully not).
Then go about restoring all my stuff, and finding the sis files for the apps that i want back on, but not VF branded.

Old 24-11-2007, 02:53 PM

That seems to have worked.
I set the phone to format the flash memory after i backed up my files, told NUS to reinstall the firmware, and after 30mins worth of configuring & 2 hours of transfers i had everything back on, without the VF rubbish anywhere to be seen.

Just need to find the installers i need now for GoogleMaps, eBay & YouTube.
GoogleMaps is odd because the site lists S60 as a supported platform, yet theres no DL for it? Very odd.

Old 24-11-2007, 05:04 PM

Tomo71 is on a distinguished road
Google maps is here:
http://online.vodafone.co.uk/dispatc...pageID=MI_0037

Youtube and Ebay I cant find anywhere, so have decided to use either m.youtube.com or vTap and just use the ebay mobile page which I find better anyway.

Regarding messenger, I think I have seen that on Voda Live page at some point, although Im using the one from

http://www.symbianv3.com/new-windows...rfect#more-317

Steve
N95 with FTD Enabled on Orange
Panasonic CF-19 Toughbook with embedded HSPDA Modem with Voda and Orange SIMS.
Ads

Old 25-11-2007, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomo71 View Post
Thanks, but thats VF version, the version ive been trying to get rid of. :p

Quote:
Regarding messenger, I think I have seen that on Voda Live page at some point, although Im using the one from

http://www.symbianv3.com/new-windows...rfect#more-317

Steve
Doesnt the IM built into the generic firmware do the same job as that VF one?

Old 25-11-2007, 07:01 PM

GordonShowers is on a distinguished road
Google Maps is downloaded by navigating to http://www.google.com/gmm on your phone.

Old 25-11-2007, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonShowers View Post
Google Maps is downloaded by navigating to http://www.google.com/gmm on your phone.
Thanks.
Just eBay and Youtube now. .

Old 27-11-2007, 02:59 AM

argh is on a distinguished road
Back to the original "Removing failed" issue, I have the same problem with Yahoo! Go 2.

I believe that if I had the original installation files, I could install over it and then uninstall it (this worked with a Java game that I was having similar problems with), unfortunately I have Yahoo! Go 2.0.49 installed, and only 2.0.71 is available for download now.

By changing the HTTP user-agent headers, I was able to get the JAR and JAD files. I tried changing the version numbers within them, but the MIDlet is signed to be able to use the location and socket APIs and so authorisation failed when I tried to install.

I've also tried to uninstall it manually. I found a list of installed midlets on the memory card (where it was installed) in <drive>:\private\102033E6\MIDlets

Removing the Yahoo! Go midlet removed it from the uninstall list on the phone and I thought that it was fixed, but unfortunately not - trying to install 2.0.71 still brought up a message that 2.0.49 was already installed, so there must be another registry of installed applications somewhere.

I also found a reference to the MIDlet in <drive>:\private\10203636

Changing the version number here, or removing the file also had no effect.

Does anyone have an idea how I can manually uninstall this MIDlet, or repair it? (possibly someone with a link to an installer for 2.0.49?)

If not, I might just remove it from the install list, delete the application icon and just live with the fact that I can't install it until I can be bothered to install another firmware along with all the software and settings again

Old 27-11-2007, 09:13 AM

If that Yahoo app is on your memory card/flash drive, then backup your music/pictures/videos, format it, and then reset/reflash the phone.
If its on your 'C:' then just reset/flash your phone.

Old 27-11-2007, 06:12 PM

Tomo71 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomam View Post
Thanks, but thats VF version, the version ive been trying to get rid of. :p

Doesnt the IM built into the generic firmware do the same job as that VF one?
In your original post you asked for the installers for those apps so you can remove these apps. I gave you the voda google installer. run it, install it then REMOVE it.
N95 with FTD Enabled on Orange
Panasonic CF-19 Toughbook with embedded HSPDA Modem with Voda and Orange SIMS.

Old 27-11-2007, 10:57 PM

pa49 is on a distinguished road
For future ref install all your apps to the phone mem when asked. This avoids any hangover problems when you next update the firmware. Yes you will have to reinstall all to the phone each time, but, if you put all the sis and JAD/JAR files in a folder on you mem card or the N95's 8Gb drive you can reinstall with ease.

Old 28-11-2007, 01:27 AM

argh is on a distinguished road
Just a quick followup on my progress. After finding the relevant file for Yahoo! Go in the sys/uninstall folder, it now doesn't say that Yahoo! Go is already installed when I download the new version to install, however I do still get an "Unable to install" message at the end.

Perhaps I'm just too inquisitive and should just format the card, as has been suggested, but I like to know how these things work

Old 28-11-2007, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomo71 View Post
In your original post you asked for the installers for those apps so you can remove these apps. I gave you the voda google installer. run it, install it then REMOVE it.
True.
But i no longer want to do that. Nor have the need now ive formatted the flash drive.

Old 03-12-2007, 09:08 PM

Locoblade is on a distinguished road
Hi All

I found this thread as Ive just updated my phone to v20 firmware and I forgot to uninstall a few apps off the SD card before doing the upgrade. Because of this, the apps still appeared but couldnt be uninstalled, as above. In addition, two out of the four apps (Google Maps and Yell.com) I didnt have install files for and those available on the net were now newer versions meaning I had no easy uninstall method

Eventually I got these apps removed without formatting the SD card so I thought Id share my findings....

Basically I had a good hunt around the card, viewing it in a card reader with hidden files showing (or probably using something like X-Plore on the phone, again with hidden / system files shown), and found these folders in particular that related to the "orphaned" apps

System\Install\Registry - in here was a .reg file for each of the two apps I was trying to uninstall

private\10202dce - in here were some unknown format files which when edited with notepad, had comments in them which suggested they were related to the apps

Private\10003a3f\import\apps\NonNative\Resource - there we 6 files in here, two called Iconxxxxxxx.mdm, and 4 other files, again when edited it was obvious these were related

I started off deleting the reg files and the ones in private\10202dce, this effectively disabled the apps completely so they didnt try to reinstall when the memory card was put in, and if selecting to remove, would not do anything at all (not even "Removing Failed"). Basically i was just left with the icons showing

I then found and deleted the 6 files in nonnative\resource and the icons have now disappeared, so hopefully thats the last I'll see of them.

I can't promise every app will be the same, but hopefully it will point people in the right direction. A note to myself in future though, I'll either install all apps to the phone itself so they automatically get wiped when upgrading, otherwise I'll have to remember to uninstall any apps installed on the SD card first!

Chris

Last edited by Locoblade; 03-12-2007 at 09:20 PM.