All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 25-06-2007, 10:19 AM

ratza is on a distinguished road
Firmware update: partial backup recovery?

Hi guys,

Just did the update for 3.xxx yesterday in the evening and after backup restore from memory card I was astonished to find in the morning that more than 60% of the apps installed were not working. Even more, all my sounds, themes, images and other files stored in phone's memory were lost and the backup was done just 20 minutes before starting the update. Did this happend to one of you?

I think this is valid only for S60 3rd, on the N70 everything was backed up and I never had to reinstall SW after firmware upgrade, even the pictures.

Old 25-06-2007, 12:50 PM

elp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratza View Post
Hi guys,

Just did the update for 3.xxx yesterday in the evening and after backup restore from memory card I was astonished to find in the morning that more than 60% of the apps installed were not working. Even more, all my sounds, themes, images and other files stored in phone's memory were lost and the backup was done just 20 minutes before starting the update. Did this happend to one of you?
Yes, the symbian backup software is worse than useless when it comes to restoring your phone after a firmware update. I upgraded the firmware of my E61 twice and both times, despite having spent more than half an hour backing up everything before doing the update, I've had to spend half a day to re-download, re-install and re-configure most of my applications. The only thing that the Backup software seems to restore fine are the contacts, calendar entries and notes. Applications are restored on a random basis: some apps are restored fine, some seem to have been restored but won't launch, some aren't restored at all, some are only half restored and cause the Installer attempt to finish to restore them and fail everytime you boot the phone. A complete mess. I can't talk about your files stored on the phone's memory as I store everything on the memory card myself (don't trust the phone memory).

Old 26-06-2007, 03:08 AM

Jer is on a distinguished road
I think it's common knowledge that your apps need to be re installed afterward. I only have a couple so it's not a big deal and I prefer a fresh install when it comes to programs anyway so I guess to me it's a non issue. As long as it stores contacts, notes, calendar, settings and what not that's the time consuming stuff for me anyway.

Personally, I love the backup feature of this phone because I've never owned one that had it before and I'm very thankful for it and SO glad I don't have to waste hours entering my hundreds and hundreds of contacts by hand.

Old 26-06-2007, 05:47 AM

I don't store the files on phone memory either, only two backgrounds which were not restored. N70 was recovering everything after backup restoration, even after firmware update or hard reset. On the E70 the only things recovered correctly were the notes, contacts, calendar entries and menu order. Even the profiles were messed up. C'mon Nokia, wtf are you doin'?

Old 26-06-2007, 07:29 AM

desertrat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyhelling View Post
I think it's common knowledge that your apps need to be re installed afterward.
But the common expectation or the common need is that a backup should backup everything.

Quote:
I only have a couple so it's not a big deal and I prefer a fresh install when it comes to programs anyway so I guess to me it's a non issue.
If you have more than a few non-trivial programs then reinstalling those and reconfiguring all their settings is a tedious task.

Quote:
Personally, I love the backup feature of this phone because I've never owned one that had it before and I'm very thankful for it and SO glad I don't have to waste hours entering my hundreds and hundreds of contacts by hand.
You could've copied the phone phonebook to sim and used that as backup or migrate to new phone.

Anyway we're talking about supposedly smart phones here and surely a reliable backup software is a requisite?

Last edited by desertrat; 26-06-2007 at 07:59 AM.

Old 26-06-2007, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertrat View Post
Anyway we're talking about supposedly smart phones here and surely a reliable backup software is a requisite?
That's something that I would have thought as well but I am amazed to see how so few people are actually complaining about how poor the Backup application bundled with the S60 3rd edition is and how many people find it perfectly normal that the backup application only restores half of their data and find it natural to have to re-install and re-configure all their applications after a system update.

When I spend almost £400 on a state-of-the-art "smartphone" or "multimedia computer", I find it quite infuriating to have to spend 3 or 4 hours to get my phone and all its applications back to normal after every system update. But maybe I am just a weirdo who regularly uses 10-15 third party applications and most people don't install anything on their smartphones.

Old 26-06-2007, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp View Post
When I spend almost £400 on a state-of-the-art "smartphone" or "multimedia computer", I find it quite infuriating to have to spend 3 or 4 hours to get my phone and all its applications back to normal after every system update. But maybe I am just a weirdo who regularly uses 10-15 third party applications and most people don't install anything on their smartphones.
That was exactly my point. I cannot understand why they don't do it in the way it was on the old S60v2, that was always made for the whole content, why the hell do they call it a backup if it isn't? Can you tell if the same thing is happening with the backups made with PC Suite? I'm not going to spend again 4 hours to tweak the phone up.

Old 26-06-2007, 01:27 PM

Quote:
That was exactly my point. I cannot understand why they don't do it in the way it was on the old S60v2, that was always made for the whole content, why the hell do they call it a backup if it isn't? Can you tell if the same thing is happening with the backups made with PC Suite? I'm not going to spend again 4 hours to tweak the phone up.
No idea. I have made PC Suite backups but never tried to restore from them as I didn't have any more time to waste on this. From the vague explanations given by PC Suite and the even more vague comments i've been able to find here and there on the web, it seems that PC Suite backup does not even attempt to backup and restore your application and is therefore even more useless than the phone's backup applications (but again, I haven't tried it so I might be wrong).

In my opinion, getting the backup application to do its job properly should be one of Nokia's top priority but it seems that nobody cares that much about this issue. Maybe all those years of Windows usage and re-installs has taken its toll on customer's expectations and has made people believe that re-installing is a perfectly normal thing that has to be done even now and then when using a computer (!).

Old 27-06-2007, 02:28 AM

Quote:
But the common expectation or the common need is that a backup should backup everything.
Hmm.. I'm not sure why but I never assumed that. Whenever I do something drastic like that I use it as an excuse to start fresh with all my applications or programs and this goes for my 'puters and laptops too. Over time programs can get sluggish or glitchy and it's a good idea to re install them from time to time.

Quote:
If you have more than a few non-trivial programs then reinstalling those and reconfiguring all their settings is a tedious task.
How many do you have and how hard are they to install? I guess I just don't understand what the big deal is with apps after a firmware upgrade. After all, you do a firmware upgrade a couple times over the life of the phone so how much time is it taking up? It takes more time to complain than it does to just install them again.

Quote:
You could've copied the phone phonebook to sim and used that as backup or migrate to new phone.
Not true, if you have addresses (email and street and several of both) notes, birthdays, multiple phone numbers, fax numbers, company name, position and any number of entries for each contact you will not be able to save them to the SIM card. If you have a few contacts (read: not 500) and one number per entry then this is fine for backing up. If you need more flexibility this is great for that. The days of wasting hours entering entries by hand & setting up all the settings (other than aps) is over. It even retained my wallpaper and ring tones/text message alert tones and profiles settings. I thought that was pretty handy myself and am not sure why so many people bag on the backup feature.

Quote:
This device is a smart phone for all other features and functions IMO. A computer is pretty smart too but there are inherent flaws that are accepted and planned for that take more effort than this one.

Old 27-06-2007, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Maybe all those years of Windows usage and re-installs has taken its toll on customer's expectations and has made people believe that re-installing is a perfectly normal thing that has to be done even now and then when using a computer (!).
Guess I'm a product of that then.

Old 27-06-2007, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyhelling View Post
I guess I just don't understand what the big deal is with apps after a firmware upgrade. After all, you do a firmware upgrade a couple times over the life of the phone so how much time is it taking up? It takes more time to complain than it does to just install them again.
Not true. Sometimes it happens to need a format and then you will need again to recover the backup. It took me 1 hour or so to do the update and another 5 hours to recreate all the settings for all the applications, profiles, access points and so on.

Old 27-06-2007, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Not true. Sometimes it happens to need a format and then you will need again to recover the backup. It took me 1 hour or so to do the update and another 5 hours to recreate all the settings for all the applications, profiles, access points and so on.
Again, I've had my phone for over 1.5yrs and have only needed to format when an upgraded version was available and I use my phone a LOT. Not sure why you are needing to do your firmware weekly.

Old 27-06-2007, 09:41 AM

I'm not a FW freak, I updated the firmware because of some problems. RAM issues were the only reason for which I did it and I can't say that if feels very different. At least I'm not receiving MEM full message again.

Old 27-06-2007, 11:56 AM

Quote:
I find it quite infuriating to have to spend 3 or 4 hours to get my phone and all its applications back to normal after every system update. But maybe I am just a weirdo who regularly uses 10-15 third party applications and most people don't install anything on their smartphones.
Ditto. I wouldn't mind so much if there was an easy way to at least backup the apps config/settings so that after re-installing you could just copy the configs back and are then ready to go.
Ads

Old 27-06-2007, 12:11 PM

Quote:
From the vague explanations given by PC Suite and the even more vague comments i've been able to find here and there on the web,...
That's another gripe of mine - all the documentation and literature surrounding the phones are dumbed down and bereft of technical information or specifications.

Quote:
In my opinion, getting the backup application to do its job properly should be one of Nokia's top priority but it seems that nobody cares that much about this issue.
Nokia are more concerned about releasing new phones than to fix problems with existing ones.

Quote:
Maybe all those years of Windows usage and re-installs has taken its toll on customer's expectations and has made people believe that re-installing is a perfectly normal thing that has to be done even now and then when using a computer (!).
Sad but true.