All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 03-05-2005, 02:52 PM

Masamune is on a distinguished road
Ok. Can someone lock this thread please - there's better things to talk about than this pathetic slanging match.

Old 03-05-2005, 03:54 PM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Ewan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to behold
I'm loathe to lock this thread striaght away, because it started as a good debate. Can we have cool heads and respect for other opinions before I wade in with a big Admin stick?
-- Twitter: @ewan

Old 03-05-2005, 04:47 PM

messus is an unknown quantity at this point

Last edited by messus; 03-05-2005 at 04:53 PM.

Old 03-05-2005, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan
I'm loathe to lock this thread striaght away, because it started as a good debate. Can we have cool heads and respect for other opinions before I wade in with a big Admin stick?
I guess when you say we should have respect for others opinions, that it goes for everybody in here!?

It's ok to debate, and everybody should be able to handle some jokes about eachother.

And I have said it before, and I will continue to say it; The tremendous dissapointment the Sendo X was to me and many others, deserves to be known to the rest of the mobile-phone-society! It was (IS) a very expensive product, which in mine and many others opinions is a totally overpraised product. This is something I think everybody deserves to know!

I recent to be adressed as an immature by a person who is younger, and clearly less enlightened and objective than me when it comes to this issues, just because I do not live in Sendo's headquarters!

Old 03-05-2005, 06:53 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Please do not make personal statements about people. You may think they're wrong. You can say they're wrong (politely). You should be able to make your case and point by saying you think this is wrong, or you disagree with this point because... Arguments and debates are a lot more convincing when you stick to the subject.

Do not make sweeping generalisations such as 'clearly less enlightened and objective' - you don't really have a basis for saying that. And there's certainly nothing wrong with being young - it doesn't automatically make some one wrong or immature.

Personally I think the Sendo X was a very impressive product, and the X2 is a more refined version. In particular I think (the X2) in terms of size (wehther actualy or perceived) is yet to be beaten by any other Symbian licensee.

Old 04-05-2005, 12:14 AM

trimakassi is on a distinguished road
But Messus does have a point. Ok, so we should act in a nicer way to eachother, i agree. But the thing is, Sendo launched their X in way that people starting to expect a lot from this phone. And when you're willing to pay a fair amount of money for a smartphone, it should work properly.
Ok, so Sendo is new to the smartphone market. That's fine. But that's not an excuse for poorly working phones. As said before, we are no beta-testers. I can imagine a phone suffers from minor bugs. But these werent minor anymore. I had to sent mine back, amongst many others. And that's why i think that Sendo had to do much more testing before launching the X. Now my X works fine and i'm really happy with it. But that should've been right from the start. (And not after a few months in my case...)
Ads

Old 04-05-2005, 04:12 PM

ajck is on a distinguished road
Hello?

I started this thread. It's a shame it's been hijacked by two people who should clearly have been kicked off this board a long time ago (nutzu and messus) - Admins?
I've yet to see a fair or sensible comment from either of them anywhere, it's all over-emotional rhetoric and insults (and with no knowledge of English what's more).

Anyway, it's been good to see the other discussion about how the X2 might fare against Nokia's impressive competition. I think the X2 will do somewhere between very and extremely well, depending on the marketing. And the N-Series also has significant drawbacks, particularly weight and price.

Most average people (those who don't frequent online mobile forums ) really couldn't care less what symbian is, let alone what version they've got. They just want to know what the product can do for them, and they want it to be SIMPLE. REALLY simple. Just by calling it a "Music Phone", having visible music controls on the side of the phone with recognisable play/forward etc symbols, and making the music playing (as with answering a call) a one-touch operation, gives that simplicity to the average user, and that's what they want. I think Sendo really "get it", quite frankly. Well done to them.

What Sendo also must do is make the process of getting music onto the phone as easy as possible, so I hope the transfer software and process is up to scratch. I'm talking plug in the cable and one or two mouse clicks. No geeky technical stuff, no stupid technical acronyms (even "MP3" is too much in my opinion). Secondly, they should hook up with as many online music stores as possible, given the formats the X2 can play and the X2's DRM there's no excuse not to. And no excuse for the music stores not to see this as an excellent extra music channel. Sendo need to educate and change the mindset of the online music stores that "MP3 Players" aren't just standalone things that look like Walkmans. The stores could plug the X2 as well - I'd want to plug something if it could give me extra sales.

Finally this could (if the usability of the whole X2 software is good enough) also be very much a "My First Smartphone" scenario for a lot of people and that can only be a good thing for everyone.

What an opportunity for Sendo. Lets hope they don't bugger it up!

Old 04-05-2005, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
Some very good points very well made!

I think you're dead right on the opportunities which Sendo have created for themselves with the X2, so hopefully some of what you've said will actually come true.

The only downside of direct to phone from store downloads is that GPRS is a bit slow to make this feasable - I think 3G is pretty much *needed* for that...

Old 04-05-2005, 06:08 PM

Seconded - especially the bit about forum enthusiasts (lit: geeks). 70% of people who by a phone use it as a phone and as such, size and weight weigh in a lot more than techy stuff. I've no doubt Nokia's music phone will be tough competition for the X2, given the presence of a built in hard disk. However, the X2 will have an advantage in release time and price. I suspect it will be cheaper to buy an X2 w/ large memory card (especially from eBay or similar) than the Nokia N (I forget which number) handset only.

Old 04-05-2005, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
N70 is the closest competitor to X2, and won't be out till the autumn at the earliest, (and will probably cost a fortune) so X2 should have a good head start on these N series phones

Old 04-05-2005, 10:48 PM
Nutzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuclark
N70 is the closest competitor to X2, and won't be out till the autumn at the earliest, (and will probably cost a fortune) so X2 should have a good head start on these N series phones
I quote trimakassi " But the thing is, Sendo launched their X in way that people starting to expect a lot from this phone. And when you're willing to pay a fair amount of money for a smartphone, it should work properly.
Ok, so Sendo is new to the smartphone market. That's fine. But that's not an excuse for poorly working phones. As said before, we are no beta-testers. I can imagine a phone suffers from minor bugs. But these werent minor anymore. I had to sent mine back, amongst many others. And that's why i think that Sendo had to do much more testing before launching the X", so my dear stuclark better pay a fortune for the n70 than pay half of that to test another C..P from sendo(we all know sendo like to say a lot of things on paper but at least make the phone to do half of those things)

Last edited by Nutzu; 04-05-2005 at 11:37 PM.

Old 05-05-2005, 08:21 AM

What problems were you having with the phone - try and be as specific as possible...

Old 05-05-2005, 09:17 AM

pelwell is on a distinguished road
Do we have to go round that loop again? Nutzu's problems are well documented, and since he no longer has any interest in his (ex?) X is there any point?

I've no idea how large and cumbersome the new N series are, but they are the first models since the 6210/6310 that suggest the big N hasn't completely forgotten how to do classy, functional phones (excluding the 9300/9500, which don't really count as phones).

Personally I'm waiting to see what the P910 replacement is like. Much as I like my X, I find casual note taking with just a phone keypad is too slow and requires sufficient concentration to make it hard to follow the discussions I'm taking notes on.

Old 05-05-2005, 10:22 AM

MemphisX is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelwell
Personally I'm waiting to see what the P910 replacement is like. Much as I like my X, I find casual note taking with just a phone keypad is too slow and requires sufficient concentration to make it hard to follow the discussions I'm taking notes on.
I am almost sure that SE won't release only one UIQ device but at least 2. One which will be the P910 follow up (maybe named P930) and a small one to compete series60 devices. Don't forget that UIQ version 3.0 can run with smaller screen resolutions.

Not everyone is meant to make a difference.
But for me the choice to live an ordinary life is no longer an option.

If there was no GOD it would be neccessary to invent him.

Old 05-05-2005, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajck
I've yet to see a fair or sensible comment from either of them anywhere, it's all over-emotional rhetoric and insults (and with no knowledge of English what's more).
What do you call this comment then? Well argumentative and mature?

Admins?

ajck, I suggest you search and read the forum before you make such
nonsense comments!