All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 04-10-2004, 06:20 AM

gregbull is on a distinguished road
Modifying Stereo Headphones for A925

Hi,

I plan to make a 3.5mm to 2.5mm converter to allow me to utilise any (quality) standard headphones to work with my A925. I managed to do the same for my old P800.

The problem is I cannot work out the pinouts (wiring configuration).

Id one of you gurus can post the pinouts for the A920/A925 headphone socket/jack it would be much appreciated.

I am surprised nobody else has asked this, or maybe Im the only bunny that has tried this and can't work it out??

Thanks

Regards

Greg

Old 10-10-2004, 11:42 AM

4bstract is on a distinguished road
well, i'we locked around for BUYING something.. don't so much up to make things self..

Old 12-10-2004, 03:31 PM

i_sohi is on a distinguished road
ya man , i thought about it but left the idea thinking why to change these configuration
ru thinking of changing the socket in phone or changing just the pi of any headset?

Old 12-10-2004, 04:51 PM
andrewkeith5

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_sohi
ya man , i thought about it but left the idea thinking why to change these configuration
ru thinking of changing the socket in phone or changing just the pi of any headset?
well, there is a pinout, but you won't get stereo using a normal pair of headphones. the pinout is:

Pin: Same As P800 (I Think)
Ring Arouns Edge: Right Earphone

there u go
Ads

Old 11-12-2004, 05:24 PM

lele_haine is on a distinguished road
Hi guys, this is the first time in my life i post a message that is an answer rather than a question, that makes me very proud

The phone can play stereo sound as it does with the original headset, but the pins act differently regarding the headset you plug, a standard mono headset with mic or a stereo headset with mic. The phone can check the type of headset and rearrange the pins to accomplish the model you plugged. The goal is to let it believe you are plugging a stereo headset with mic, while you are plugging just a stereo headphone, otherwise it would recoginze the stereo headphone as a mono headset with mic. letting you hear just one channel.

To build your adapter you just need a stereo 3.5 socket and a 1k ohm resistor, that the phone will see as the mic allowing you to listen a stereo sound.
See the attached images to check out the pinouts. The first image represents the motorola 2.5 jack, while the second one is the connection diagram, on the left you have the motorola jack and on the right you have a standard 3.5 stereo socket, where L stands for Left channel and R stands for Right channel. Ground symbol is shown for completness but it's not connected to anything else.

Hope you'll enjoy this solution, it did function for me!

sorry for my poor english, regards from Rome, Italy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jack.gif
Views:	1815
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	2120   Click image for larger version

Name:	wires.gif
Views:	640
Size:	2.3 KB
ID:	2121  

Last edited by lele_haine; 11-12-2004 at 05:35 PM.

Old 16-12-2004, 11:26 PM

modex is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lele_haine
Hope you'll enjoy this solution, it did function for me!

i might give this a try.. although since i have 2 pairs of earphones i could just cut the 'buds' off one pair and solder the wires into a socket for my headphones

Old 19-12-2004, 09:10 PM

i hadn't any doubt about sacrificing the original headphones, which i found aweful! I don't care about stereo conversation so i just use a mono headset, and with the adapter i built i can use any type of headphones or even connect the cellphone to any kind of device with an audio input (pc, amplifiers, stand-alone speakers) and enjoy my stereo mp3s wherever i am. That's a picture of the adapter.
Post your feedbacks and comments.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	adapter.jpg
Views:	628
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	2165  

Old 20-12-2004, 12:31 AM

modex is on a distinguished road
yeah.. i'm going to have to buy a soldering iron so i can do that..

what happens though when you get an incoming call? can you just unplug the headphones and answer it or does something weird happen?

Old 20-12-2004, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modex
yeah.. i'm going to have to buy a soldering iron so i can do that..
Just consider you need a little practice, it's not that easy because the wires are very thin and uneasy to solder. Take the cable long enough to let you have some try

Quote:
Originally Posted by modex
what happens though when you get an incoming call? can you just unplug the headphones and answer it or does something weird happen?
nothing weird happens, the resistor just acts as a mute mic, so nothing wierd can be expected, you can simply unplug the hearphones and answer the call (actually you can also answer the call without unplugging the hearphones, you will be able to listen the caller, but you won't be able to answer back... not much useful )

Old 22-12-2004, 05:16 AM

Bysheon is on a distinguished road
lele_haine>> Oh, how I have longed for someone to describe how this excact sollution is done! I am impressed! I want this to work and I will try it, but I am not handy at all. I need some more guiding for this (I am really bad at technical things like this). Could you find it in your heart to make a litte more precise describtion on how you connected the wires? Please? Please?

Old 27-12-2004, 11:02 PM

pike2k is on a distinguished road
is there really no premade 2.5mm -> (stereo) 3.5mm cable you can buy that functions with the A925?

with 90 degree connection on the 2.5mm connector, so you dont have 3cm sticking out of the side of the phone.

Old 09-01-2005, 08:43 PM

zEn0s is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pike2k
is there really no premade 2.5mm -> (stereo) 3.5mm cable you can buy that functions with the A925?

with 90 degree connection on the 2.5mm connector, so you dont have 3cm sticking out of the side of the phone.
No, unfortunately not

I thought about soldering the microphone between instead of the ohm resistor. would that work? any ideas?

Old 10-01-2005, 12:02 PM

alexderk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lele_haine
i hadn't any doubt about sacrificing the original headphones, which i found aweful! I don't care about stereo conversation so i just use a mono headset, and with the adapter i built i can use any type of headphones or even connect the cellphone to any kind of device with an audio input (pc, amplifiers, stand-alone speakers) and enjoy my stereo mp3s wherever i am. That's a picture of the adapter.
Post your feedbacks and comments.

How did you do that? The wires are too thin! and how did you connect them with the plug?

thx

alex

Old 10-01-2005, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexderk
How did you do that? The wires are too thin! and how did you connect them with the plug?
the wires are very thin but you can use a small pincer to sort them. just use the existing cables which are already connected to the plug.

Old 07-03-2005, 09:16 PM

Talking

yay, I finally dared to do it and it actually worked! I get pretty good stereo-sound on each of my ears

It was not even THAT hard but as i had not muchexperience of using a soldering iron before, it was difficult for me.

I used a Nokia N-Gage Adapter (ADA-2) and the original Motorola A925 Handsfree, an 1k Ohm Resistor and a lot of soldering tin! I attached some pictures of it.

I also found out, which wires are connected to which part of the jack. I showed that in another attached picture.

OK, I ope I could help some people who have the same beginning problems like i had!

greets, Dietmar
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG0023.JPG
Views:	657
Size:	208.2 KB
ID:	2392   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0025.JPG
Views:	645
Size:	265.8 KB
ID:	2393   Click image for larger version

Name:	wires.JPG