All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 16-11-2010, 06:50 PM

tawalker is on a distinguished road
N8: video podcatcher and IMAP email

I've had my N8 a week-and-a-half, and already I wouldn't be without it - after a few initial "head-scratching" moments as I tried to adapt from my trusty old N95 'classic', the N8 now "makes sense" most of the time.

One thing I haven't worked out yet: is there an equivalent on the N8 to the N95's "Video Centre" app? I know Nokia Podcasting hasn't made it to the N8 yet, and there's "Web TV", but I don't think it's possible to add user-specified video podcast feeds to the latter (unless I haven't dug deep enough ).

Also: I'm not really keen on accessing my GMail via Nokia's Messaging servers, mostly because it doesn't reflect changes to my GMail mailbox if I delete/archive messages via another route (e.g. an alternative computer). How would you suggest setting up GMail access via IMAP - through Messaging, or another app (even a third-party one like Profimail)?

Many thanks

Tim

Old 17-11-2010, 05:18 AM

rexdude is on a distinguished road
Haven't tried it myself on my N8, but I've heard people say that if you run the email wizard and provide wrong information it drops you into the old style IMAP configuration window, where you can manually set up access without Nokia's servers.

Dunno about video podcasts though.

Old 17-11-2010, 05:34 PM

xerxes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawalker View Post
I've had my N8 a week-and-a-half, and already I wouldn't be without it - after a few initial "head-scratching" moments as I tried to adapt from my trusty old N95 'classic', the N8 now "makes sense" most of the time.

One thing I haven't worked out yet: is there an equivalent on the N8 to the N95's "Video Centre" app? I know Nokia Podcasting hasn't made it to the N8 yet, and there's "Web TV", but I don't think it's possible to add user-specified video podcast feeds to the latter (unless I haven't dug deep enough ).

Also: I'm not really keen on accessing my GMail via Nokia's Messaging servers, mostly because it doesn't reflect changes to my GMail mailbox if I delete/archive messages via another route (e.g. an alternative computer). How would you suggest setting up GMail access via IMAP - through Messaging, or another app (even a third-party one like Profimail)?

Many thanks

Tim
I haven't tried it on touch screen but Gmail used to work perfectly on Profimail on my N95. It even used to work with Idle which effectively give you push Gmail.
Ads

Old 17-11-2010, 09:00 PM

tawalker is on a distinguished road
Thanks chaps

I took rexdude's suggestion (Profimail is a fine program, but I thought I'd try the free option first...), and now have my GMail set up as an IMAP mailbox, so I'm happy with that. (Odd that I should have to resort to the "enter wrong account details" method to set up 'normal' email, but let us not churl...)

Much appreciated!

Tim

Old 18-11-2010, 07:32 AM

phessler is on a distinguished road
Yes, I can access an IMAP account using the built in email app. Sadly, it doesn't properly understand IMAP folders, so I cannot use it for anything serious.

I use "Symbian Podcatcher" for my podcasts which also supports video podcasts. As an example "The Phones Show" and "The Phones Show Chat" work just fine.

Old 19-12-2010, 07:24 PM

rahulgarg is on a distinguished road
IMAP gmail

Obviously I am a bit late here, but to not go through Nokia Messaging one does not need to enter wrong credentials. Instead, enter the correct credentials, and when it shows you whether you want to accept the terms of service, press "Decline" and it will be automatically setup for you as a regular IMAP account with all the configuration done.

Old 22-12-2010, 08:07 PM

Ravnos is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulgarg View Post
Obviously I am a bit late here, but to not go through Nokia Messaging one does not need to enter wrong credentials. Instead, enter the correct credentials, and when it shows you whether you want to accept the terms of service, press "Decline" and it will be automatically setup for you as a regular IMAP account with all the configuration done.
This is what I did. I wound up setting up my Nokia Messaging account with all my gf's information so she could use it on my old E71 when I gave it to her, since I wasn't using the account with my N900. When I got my N8, I just declined Nokia Messaging's TOS and all is well with both my Gmail and my work email. Looking forward to the new keyboard, though. My old E71 spoiled me, my N900 and now the (bad) fullscreen only kb on my N8 doesn't compare for serious mobile emailing.

Old 27-01-2011, 11:41 PM

twinpixx is on a distinguished road

да уж, всё пучком значит ^_^