All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 13-05-2009, 07:46 AM
Unregistered

Nokia Browser

Tzer has highlighted good points:

- the browser in full-screen mode is handicapped and Nokia should provide atleast a "back" functionality, and an indicator for page loading.

to add to the wish-list

- the screen should flip from vertical to horizontal in all directions of phone movement

Nokia 5800 owners - get the latest software updates, they really speeds up the phone!!

Old 21-05-2009, 10:23 PM
Unregistered

Nokia 5800

This is by far the worst phone I've ever owned and that takes some doing.

I bought mine in April, Sim Free and within 2 weeks the problems started, random seizing up and or being bought to a crawl.

If I used the camera I'd get two shots, then I'd have to wait for at least a minute before doing anymore, then when I wanted to access the Gallery, it would take around about 3 mins before finding the photos that I'd just taken, as for deleting them that would take at least a minute per shot that I wanted to remove!

Now you may say that the memory card's to blame, but with a 16Gb Class 6, which was fully checked and tested, I think not.

The final straw came the other day when I needed the emergency services dialled 112 and nothing happened, it wouldn't dial it.

So I contacted Nokia Technical Support, followed their advice to the letter and ended up with a "brick", so it's now been sent off to be repaired, however when it comes back it will be going up for sale, I've had enough.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:05 PM
Unregistered

Exclamation Optimizing the fullscreen browsing - Hack

I havent't tried it, but maybe it helps improving your browsing experience

http://dailymobile.se/2009/01/27/nok...nd-going-back/

Old 14-06-2009, 10:10 PM

vitaminz is on a distinguished road
I bought my 5800 at the start of the year, and it's certainly one of the best phones I've used. Although I've sent back 2 handsets due to faults, I've had this one for months and it's fine.

The actual form factor of the phone is fantastic, and it really is great that it's designed for one hand use, it makes texting much easier. As you said the lock switch is very handy, and it helps save battery life.

The whole 'double tap' thing really didn't bother me at all. Although it could be because I've used S60 for a few years, I found it pretty clear when a double tap was needed. I know it's not the most elegant solution, but it works fine for me.

But it's not perfect:

1: As said, it plays 3D games pretty awfully, and the bundled ones are frankly rubbish.

2: No gadgets like in the N97. The phone runs the same OS at the same resolution so I'm hoping that the 5800 will get the gadgets that are in the N97.

3: A very minor niggle, but on the browser and music player, when the phone is in landscape mode, a lot more information appears in the top bar, which makes the main screen area smaller

4: No 'chat' style text message reading, like in the iPhone.

5: I have a seperate compact digital camera so I rarely use the inbuilt one, but from what I've seen it's not great

But, all in all for such a low price it's amazing. I would have thought Nokia would have cut back on features, but every smartphone feature is present, plus more. I really can't see myself departing with this phone for a long, long time.

Now if Nokia add some great new features such as the N97 gadgets, and fix the existing software problems in a future firmware update, it'll be perfect.

Old 19-06-2009, 09:58 PM
Unregistered

I'll be ditching my 5800 for a Omnia HD as soon as funds permit.

I'm sick & tired of the pathetically slow performance & regular lock ups, it's not a software problem it's hardware the CPU is totally underpowered for the applications that they want to run on it.

I've lost count of the number of resets I've done.

I've noticed the N97 has the same CPU albeit very slightly tweaked, when is Nokia going to learn you need to have a CPU with some clout to do what's being asked of it. Not this pathetically weak ARM11 processor.

I'm wondering if they bought a dodgy job lot of them & wondered what they were going to do with them & just plonked them in these phones.

NOKIA PULL YOUR FINGER OUT.

Old 23-06-2009, 10:15 AM
Unregistered

Nokia 5800 Browsing in full screen

I think the 5800 is an excellent phone and like the review says it is like a phone not outlandish in size and handles calls brilliantly as with music etc....my problem is the toggling between full screen and menu full screen and menu why oh why...... what a daft idea. I use the Opera browser instead as at least you can naviagte back and forth.

Also memory seems to be a problem after browsing especially using youtube. I have handy taskman installed and I seem to be regularly running out of on board memory. Currently I have 2.1MB left but if I go into web browser and clear cache it goes back up to 10.6 MB this doesn't seem to happen with the Opera browser.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:08 PM
Unregistered

Excellent review

I agree with much of what you say. After several years with Windows Mobile I recently picked up a 5800. In terms of bang for the buck, its hard to beat.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:56 PM
Unregistered

Cheaper version of the 5800 the Nokia 5230

Nokia now comes with a cheaper version op de 5800 it s called the Nokia 5230. Pics and video's can be found at http://nokia5230.nl/

Old 22-01-2010, 12:07 AM

ericklamothe is on a distinguished road
The correct approach towards expanding the smartphone market

The launch of the 5800 with its excellent feature set and very reasonably price was the correct approach by Nokia towards expanding the smartphone market. I agree with the conclusions of this reviewer that as a great value all round smartphone the 5800 even 1 year on really does not have an equal at this price point.

The 5800 is an accomplished package that is so feature packed that it inevitably is compared with much more expensive devices which is a compliment to its appeal. Nokia may have found it difficult to replace the 5800 and its success is well deserved. Strongly recommended for anyone wanting an internet tablet, mobile, camcorder, camera, MP3 player, video player, and personal organiser all in one device for a good price. As an owner since its launch I have experienced no issues with this device whatsover.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:22 PM
Unregistered

Other cheaper model from Nokia

A cheaper and better model can be found here: www.nokia-5235.nl

Old 20-12-2010, 09:29 PM

witton is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Ringer

Can anyone explain to me why the phone only rings twice before going to voicemail...It gives you no time at all to get it out of your pocket or reach it in time if it is in another room???????
Ads