All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 11-04-2010, 03:39 PM

Twee is on a distinguished road
E90 maps

My E90 (UK) was recently updated to the latest available firmware for me (version 300.34.84) and I lost the use of Nokia Maps - this, apparently does not operate under 300 - The previous Firmware (I forget which it was, but it was the originally supplied one (4 years old)) - worked fine with maps
Any suggestions ?

Old 11-04-2010, 06:25 PM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile

Nokia Maps version 2.0 are working fine on my E90 FW 300.34.84 (on 27th aug 2008 installed) . I have downloaded them locally , just two weeks ago . For downloads to the device , containing zip-files , you can also use : http://symbian.clanteam.com/indexmaps.htm , or http://blog.martinletis.com/2008/02/...oad-links.html

Regards jApi NL

Last edited by jApi NL; 11-04-2010 at 06:29 PM.

Old 20-04-2010, 07:30 AM

wardeworth is on a distinguished road
On the E90 maps are enhanced, I had many problems with installing maps.
Then I downloaded software of nokia maps and manage to work Maps version 3.009 on E90.
Now it is working properly for me.

Last edited by wardeworth; 20-04-2010 at 07:32 AM.

Old 25-08-2010, 05:20 PM

Ian Glendinning is on a distinguished road
I recently bought an E90 (UK version) from a supplier in Hong Kong, and it came with the latest firmware (400.34.93), but I found that the GPS positioning wouldn't work... The phone was installed with Maps 2.0, and the maps loaded okay, but the phone never locked onto any GPS satellites, even using A-GPS. I sent the phone back, and they said they'd fixed it and tested it, but it was still the same...

I did some investigating on the Web, and found that other people had had problems with incompatible firmware revisions, so I upgraded from the "Download!" application that was installed on the phone to "Ovi Store", and I then tried to install Ovi Maps from the Ovi store. It downloaded okay and started installing, but unfortunately I got a message saying that the installation had been unsuccessful. That did not completely surprise me, because the latest version of Ovi Maps with free navigation is not available for the E90, but I had hoped that the Ovi store would be clever enough to download a version that was supported. I didn't give up there though, because I knew that a version of Ovi Maps for the E90 was available from:

http://europe.nokia.com/support/prod...x0#/nokia-e90/

so I downloaded that, version 3.01, and it installed successfully. However, guess what? It behaves exactly like Maps 2.0 did, i.e. the maps application runs, but I never get a GPS lock. It gives an approximate location using "Network based" positioning, which means estimating where you are based on the locations of the nearest mobile phone towers, but it never locks onto a single satellite.

The company I bought the phone from has offered me a refund, but I'd much rather have a working phone. It could be broken hardware, but I suspect it's more likely a software/firmware incompatibility - has anyone else had any problems with firmware revision 400.34.93 together with maps, or on the other hand, can someone tell me that it works for them, which would suggest that I have a hardware problem?

Old 25-08-2010, 05:57 PM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile Hardware !

I've got 2x E90-1 . One FW 300.xx , one FW 400.xx . On both Maps 2.0 installed . Fast fix using aGPS .
You could try Google Maps (free except for data transfer , so use WIFi or whatever cheap) . When this doesn't give a fast fix , I think it is a Hardware issue . So I would get the refund and buy a nice , second hand E90 . They are like working horses .
When you like door to door Nav , you can get @ Nokia a licence for Euro 10,- per year for Maps 2.0 also .

Regards jApi NL
Ads

Old 29-08-2010, 11:17 PM

Ian Glendinning is on a distinguished road
Thanks for your feedback - over the weekend I discovered the "Satellite Status"
option in the "GPS data" application, which I didn't know about before, and I
found that my old E90, with working GPS, easily found four or five satellites
and locked on, whereas the E90 that didn't seem to be working found at most
one satellite, and never locked on, so I think you're right that it is a hardware
problem, and I have sent the phone back and asked for a refund.