All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 16-06-2010, 06:22 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Tell Nokia how you backup your phone

Nokia Conversations are running a poll to find out how users backup the data on their phones. Of course, some of the options are for Nokia's own services, although it's good to see plenty of scope in the options for third party solutions. Now could be a good time to cast your vote if you've had a bad experience with the likes of Ovi Sync. More below, including some constructive criticism for the pollsters!

Read on in the full article.

Old 16-06-2010, 06:49 PM

IanD is on a distinguished road
Thanks

Hi David - thanks for the link and for drawing this to your readers' attention.

On SyncML vs. Web - yes, you are correct. However, I am not sure that a lot of users perceive things in this way. SyncML is an app to most people, whereas Plaxo (for example) is a web service.

Are Ovi Suite and PC Desktop the same thing? You might call it rebadging or a new version of the same thing, but it will be interesting to see how many people have made a conscious switch. We'll share all the results next week, of course.

Thank you again,
Ian
Ads

Old 16-06-2010, 07:21 PM

davidgilson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanD View Post
Hi David - thanks for the link and for drawing this to your readers' attention.

On SyncML vs. Web - yes, you are correct. However, I am not sure that a lot of users perceive things in this way. SyncML is an app to most people, whereas Plaxo (for example) is a web service.

Are Ovi Suite and PC Desktop the same thing? You might call it rebadging or a new version of the same thing, but it will be interesting to see how many people have made a conscious switch. We'll share all the results next week, of course.

Thank you again,
Ian
Hi Ian,
Thanks for posting and I'm looking forward to seeing the results!

Old 17-06-2010, 12:12 AM

seki is on a distinguished road
I've already told them .. the N8 needs wireless/wired .. and full automated backup .. so the user doesn't need to think about backups .. I have this functionality with SymNC but its a little expensive for most users.

That was my submission for "build my app".

Old 17-06-2010, 12:53 PM

Nörde is on a distinguished road
Talking about backup... Anyone knows a software to easily get all installed programs from the phone for easy reinstall later. I just need the SIS files from the phone to put back after hard reset. I don't have all the original install files as they were installed from OVI store or are otherwise lost.

Something that works with 5th ed...

Old 08-07-2010, 11:05 PM

Dashwire is on a distinguished road
m:IQ Live

The best way to backup your phone is through the m:IQ application, which is free from Best Buy Mobile....

m:IQ takes the content on your phone and automatically pushes it to a private account on the web. From that point on, what you do on the phone will instantly update on the web and what you do on the web will instantly update on your phone – without you ever having to think about it.

Users sync their contacts, text messages, calendar events, calls, photos, videos, and internet favorites from their phones to their private web-based m:IQ account.* Once backed-up in the cloud, users can interact with their information in exciting new ways, send and receive text messages, share their experiences with friends and social sites, and easily restore their content when moving from one phone to the next.* Content instantly transfers between the phone and the web without requiring any user interaction – ensuring that users are always backed-up and have access to their information.

Hope that helps!

Symbian support is coming soon! Click here to be notified when it’s ready: http://dashwire.com/comingsoon

Are you using the latest mobile client? http://m.dashwire.com

Old 16-08-2010, 06:38 PM
Unregistered

PC Suite vs Ovi Suite

PC Suite

I use PC Suite's Backup program which backs up files to my local computer this works quite well for me. I also synchronize my task, appts., contacts, and notes to MS Outlook as a form of backup.

Ovi Suite

Ovi Suite's desktop application doesn't include all the features of the PC Suite desktop application and it runs much more slowly, but if you think of the Ovi Suite as consisting online features as well, it is almost as complete as PC Suite. As a form of backup, I tried using Ovi Suite to sync my Calendar and Contacts over the air to Ovi.com and used Shared Files on Ovi.com be stored on Nokia's site as well as using Ovi Suite to store my files on line. I found this useful, but less convenient than PC Suite. Ovi Suite also just uses too many PC resources, slowing my entire computer to a crawl, even while Ovi Suite is idle.

Image-Based Backup

I would really like an image-based backup application so that I don't need to re-install each of my applications.

Conclusions

The latest version of Ovi Suite is supposedly less slow and allows you to keep local copies of Shared Files from Ovi.com, but I really need PC Suite's features that allow you to manage your calendar, contacts, and SMS messages from my PC.