All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 25-07-2010, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Richard_Bloor is on a distinguished road
Qt for Symbian for Linux and Apple

Hopefully you will have seen Steve’s posting about Lucian Tomatu’s video on using Qt to develop apps for Symbian devices. If, however, your computer runs on Linux or Apple you may have run into a small problem, there is no compiler for Symbian apps on these platforms. But never fear, there is a solution.

Read on in the full article.

Old 25-07-2010, 11:18 AM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Bloor View Post
Hopefully you will have seen Steve’s posting about Lucian Tomatu’s video on using Qt to develop apps for Symbian devices. If, however, your computer runs on Linux or Apple you may have run into a small problem, there is no compiler for Symbian apps on these platforms. But never fear, there is a solution.

Read on in the full article.
Broken link. Here's a corrected one:

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/featu..._and_Apple.php

P.S. It is "Tomuta", not "Tomatu"

Old 25-07-2010, 06:37 PM

tsuro is on a distinguished road
Raptor build system

Hi,

I am one of the developers on the Raptor build system that works on Linux and Windows. It is being used for both ^3 and ^4 and the older abld system is deprecated on these platforms.

Raptor itself actually started life on Linux (beating Windows support by a few weeks) and it has potential to work on the Mac as well. Some work has been put into Mac support by people who have them but we haven't got all their fixes backl yet and as my team and I don't have access to any macs we haven't been able to truly sort it out. I think we might be able to do something with a virtual machine and a copy of Darwin (the basis of MacOS X).

It offers support for the RVCT and GCCE compilers. Although the OS itself has some issues being compiled with GCCE, anyone building an application against an SDK will probably be able to make it work.

What is lacking at the moment on linux (and the mac effectively) is
1) A couple of the important tools but the hacks that have been done to make these work for some people are slowly becoming proper fixes.
2) Some of the testing and glue that makes Qt work.

Qt is a bit of a problem for a build system (a very worthwhile problem of course!) because it generates code and it also has its own project file format (.pro) which has to be used to generate the inputs to the "actual" build system. e.g. on linux .pro files are converted into makefiles and then GNU make builds them whereas on Symbian it generates BLD.INF and MMP files and Raptor uses those.

On linux there is some tidying up to do to get qmake to generate "good, linux compatible" BLD.INFs and MMPs. AFAICS it is all minor stuff.

Some better information is available here;

http://developer.symbian.org/wiki/in...n_Ubuntu_Linux

There is an even better page and I can't find the darn thing! Anyhow I'll post it tomorrow if I remember to,

Old 25-07-2010, 09:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by N/A View Post
Broken link.
- The one in the comment thread fixed - other seem OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N/A View Post
P.S. It is "Tomuta", not "Tomatu"
- indeed it is (sorry Lucian)
Ads

Old 25-07-2010, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the insight tsuro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsuro View Post
Some better information is available here;

http://developer.symbian.org/wiki/in...n_Ubuntu_Linux
For those interested it's probably also worth following Paul Beusterienís blog on Symbian.