All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 18-09-2009, 06:48 PM

smellati is on a distinguished road
E72 will help sell E71's?

looking at the e72, I really dont see a whole lot of reason why, as a current owner, I would want to upgrade.

It's still 3rd edition, with small improvements, and is compatible with all the same software.

I'm excited for the release of the e72, not because of the phone itself, but how it is going to drive the price of the e71 even lower.

What do you guys think? Is it worth paying a premium for the e72, or better to get the e71 for a bargain price?

Old 18-09-2009, 07:37 PM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile Bargain vs New Features

The best bargain will be a second hand E71 . This could include also the former user bugs : scratches , corrupt files , broken buttons , etc.
New device : Price / quality-wise : E71 with mature firmware and excellent reputation .
Feature-wise : E72
FP 2 Firmware (quite mature already) , Touchpad , Camera and Early Adaptor's Challenge to diagnose and resolve bugs !

Regards jApi NL

Old 19-09-2009, 07:30 AM

Sizzers is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't necessarily hold your breath about the E72 having better build quality. If my experience of the E52 as a replacement for the E51 is anything to go by be very careful. I've already had one replacement handset and on build quality this is not an upgrade but a most definite downgrade. Can't fault it feature wise but built on the cheap.

Old 19-09-2009, 12:22 PM

Captain Jon is on a distinguished road
I do not think there is much to worry about regarding the built quality of the E72. It is Nokia's flagship E-series mobile and the material used will still be stainless steel unlike the E52 and E55 (which are a downgrade material wise compared to the E51). Remember that the E52 and E55 are actually cheaper than the E51 when it was introduced on the market.

I am still getting a E55 once the price drops a little bit as I see no use personally for full QWERTY, but I would love to try out the E72 as well.
Ads

Old 19-09-2009, 10:00 PM

Sizzers is on a distinguished road
You will find that the E51 was actually cheaper but that is rather by the by. What I don't expect, however, is what is supposed to be a replacement/upgrade model to be of this significant inferior build quality to the E51. I've still got my E51 after nearly 2 years of seriously heavy use, and still not a squeak to be heard or a creak to be felt. I'm already on my first replacement E52 so I wish you the best of luck with your E55 as it's built EXACTLY the same.

Old 20-09-2009, 08:25 AM

Steve_R is on a distinguished road
I agree. On the face of just the pure specifications, then chopping in your E71 to upgrade to an E72 might not be quite worth the considerable cost involved.

The release of the E72 though, is sure to make the E71 a 2nd hand bargin!

Frustrated Nokia fan, running an old skool E71

Follow Me on Twitter

Old 24-09-2009, 11:18 AM

cricfancy is on a distinguished road
Nokia E72 = Bug fixes of Nokia E71 + features not included in Nokia E71 + 5 MP camera .... Will it be partially right

Old 24-09-2009, 01:20 PM

Steve_R is on a distinguished road
I'm keen to hear some more opinions on the optical thumb button thingy.... mobile-review weren't too happy with it, although I presume they had a prototype....

Frustrated Nokia fan, running an old skool E71

Follow Me on Twitter

Old 19-11-2009, 03:07 AM

iturner82 is on a distinguished road
Not to mention the faster 3G connection and the 3.5mm jack

Old 01-12-2009, 12:19 PM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
I'm still dabbling with the idea of dtiching the N97 and looking for a replacement, so now knowing that the E72 also comes with a 5mp camera and 3.5mm jack, I might be interested in this.

I do like the physical QWERTY keyboard, and I suspect the E72 might be a tad easier to live with than the N97.

With it being 3rd Edition, this should be a lot more stable and mature, unlike the 5th Edition, so still occasionally get crashes and freezes.

Off to read a review now, but after the expereince with the N97, I'm not rushing out to buy any new smartphone, will wait til its been out for a few months and the early teething problems have been resolved.
RM-530
E72-1