All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 06-07-2009, 11:20 AM

jon_p is on a distinguished road
menu has completely changed

Bit of a problem with my phone folks, I switched it off and on again (I have to keep doing this because I am constantly losing my wap signal and it is the only way to get it back), but my phone decided to do something strange. For some reason my main menu now only contains the Samsung LBS and Applications folders, and everything else has been dumped into the Applications folder, but not in the folders they were originally in, they are just all together in one big list. It now takes me forever to look through the folder and find things that I want. Has anyone else had this problem (or heard of it), and does anyone know of a quick fix? I have not contacted any help desks yet as the people who use this forum seem to know a lot about this phone, and so I thought of you guys first! Can anyone help? Thanks.

(p.s. I have tried switching it off and on again before anyone suggests that!)

Old 06-07-2009, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
Don't know why it has happened - obviously a bug, but to resolve it, either:

Restore from a backup
Go to Options > Organise when in the main menu - you can then move things around to your heart's content

Old 07-07-2009, 08:55 PM

ut666 is on a distinguished road
That's actually happened once to me too, I think it happened after I ran the battery completely flat. Had to bloody reorganize everything again.

Bug, yes....

ut.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:57 PM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile Backup

I was wondering about the Backup : isn't there the facility to go Menu > Card > Options > Make a backup ? This of course after setting all your personal choises and data .
In this case : recover from Backup , the easiest ?
(I am Nokia user)

Regards jApi NL
Ads

Old 08-07-2009, 11:53 AM

jon_p is on a distinguished road
Just a quick update on the situation, I have moved most of the stuff back onto the main menu, but the Tools and Office folders no longer exist, I have all the items that were in these folders (calculater, memo etc), but no folders to put them in. For the moment I have left them all in the Applications folder because I dont want to have them all sat on my main menu. I rang Orange customer services and after an hour on the phone the person said that they would have to speak to their technical guys and ring me back, that was a couple of days ago...

Old 08-07-2009, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
As someone asked, yes, you can always restore from backup if you have one.

Alternatively, you can type in *#7370#, which will reset the phone to the factory defaults (this should restore the folders). If that doesn't work, then turn the phone off and turn it back on while holding down the menu and call buttons - this will COMPLETELY reformat the phone and will return everything to default. However, YOU WILL LOOSE anything on the E: drive of the phone doing this.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:37 PM

rleader is on a distinguished road
Hi - I can't help anyone on this, sorry, but just a quick report of my experience of these 'icons'...

I've taken it as being just one of those wonderful new 'features' I am experiencing with this first Symbian handset. My Media Album icons in fact went wonky on Day 1 of ownership - essentially I always get at least 2 music .mp3 icons embedded in the Images & Videos section of Media Album, which you cannot Delete & if you do try, then you lose those mp3 files, & even more copies of these icons appear. I once had about 20 of them, just sitting there, all pointing to one .mp3 (one of the default Samsung mp3s supplied on the E:Mass memory). I just live with them. Sometimes a silver key icon appears behind the two red 'notes' icon (the .mp3 icon).

Either way, I just look at them and enjoy this 'feature'

I did manage to also completely rearrange all the menu icons/apps/ etc. & the handset did this to me after I had a problem properly 'ejecting' E: mounted over USB on my XP laptop I use for i8910 duties.

Also, I guess people have noticed that when you are USB cable connected to e.g. XP, then you lose E: on the handset and all the apps installed on it... until you disconnect the cable. Then they return.
Still, this doesn't happen if you connect the cable & choose Media or Image transfer mode.

Just another 'feature' to workaround, I guess. This handset has a LOT of 'features'