All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 08-06-2009, 08:15 PM

EnricoAdams is on a distinguished road
Question about OmniaHD headphones

I have few questions about headphones comming with OmniaHD

1. What's the quality of these phones? Can someone compare these to other popular in-ear models such as Sennheisser cx300 or other in-ear models?

2. Is it possible to connect your own phones without giving up handsfree? Like on Nokia N95, when fabric phones have 2 parts and you can connect your own phones on top of remote controler and handsfree?

3. Does this phones support standard functions like pause/play next/previous song?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for my English

Old 09-06-2009, 02:47 PM

rleader is on a distinguished road
Hello. re: The in-ear headphones that come in Orange UK's box for the Samsung i8910 ("Omnia HD")
I try to answer your specifics queries IMHO

1. The build quality is high; as expected from Samsung. I can only compare to my normal in-ear headphones - Sony's MDR-EX71. They produce a similar sound, perhaps a bit more weighted at both bass and treble end (music player set without any equalisation or fake 5.1 surround mode); the Sony's sound smoother across the sound specturm, more balanced, but there is not much in it. The Samsung's certainly do not sound cheap or tinny at all, have strong bass, etc.

2. Sadly, no. The headphones are wired directly into a little black plastic insert in the middle of the cable (a 0.5 x 0.25 x 2 cm box) which has a silver, round, call receive/end button in it. There are no in-line track control buttons. BTW pressing this button whilst not in a call, puts the i8910 into the 'Recent Calls' menu, but you can't initiate any call as far as I can see. You cannot connect any other headphones to this basic hands-free in-ear kit.

3. No.

As I said, I have the Orange UK boxed i8910, which might contain accessories of different quality to a SIM-free boxed version.

Regards
Ads

Old 09-06-2009, 04:40 PM

It's good news to hear that about quality of phones, Sony MDR-EX71 are good phones IMHO, so if they can compare to each other that means they are more than enough to suit my musical needs
But that thing with remote controls is really huge letdown, it makes that device unusable as main music device. It's really bad if i have to take the phone itself when i want to change/pause song. Too bad, i heard this device have really good sound output...
I will check with Italian user, who can buy this phone sim-free, if they situation is somewhat different...

And it will be good if someone have remote control headphones from other Symbian phones (5800 or N95) to try it on Omnia HD. It's same OS, it could work...

Last edited by EnricoAdams; 09-06-2009 at 04:59 PM.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:17 PM

Hello again - I agree, it is all these little touches that surely must be *obvious* to the designers of these wonderful gadgets, but just aren't available. I am not criticising the iPod series, but it is left to extra accessories even for my iPod touch for external control of the music - in fact, I still haven't bother to buy an external control for my Touch - I rely on an older mp3 player when out and about, which does have in-line controls, supplied in the box, plus you are less of a 'target' for those who may want an iPod! Why can I not even buy a (preferably horizontal) charging cradle for my i8910? That seems so obvious!

Old 09-06-2009, 09:29 PM

sciroccokid is on a distinguished road
I mean it is a nice accessory, but by your self a good set of earbuds it is worth every penny!!! I use shure, and they are killer.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciroccokid View Post
I mean it is a nice accessory, but by your self a good set of earbuds it is worth every penny!!! I use shure, and they are killer.
Yeah, but in that case you can't even answer the phone without taking it out of pocket, and that can be really pain especially with phone this big

Old 10-06-2009, 11:26 AM

Hello again - a thought: elsewhere on this forum, vladthemilkman states that the N96 TV-out accessory works with the i8910 - I have just bought one very cheaply to confirm this for myself. So, might other Nokia accessories work with the i8910?
e.g.
Nokia N95 Stereo Music Headset Handsfree HS-45 with controller AD-43

I have not owned any recent Nokia mobiles, so I have no accessories to test... but perhaps there is someone out there who can? That would be most interesting!

Old 18-06-2009, 08:01 AM

Just to say i checked on some other sites about this remote headphones problem, and it doesn't work. We can't use N95 or similar Nokia remote with omniaHD :( Guess we have to pull this phone out of pocket every time we want to play/pause or change the song...

Old 18-06-2009, 12:12 PM

Idea - Samsung SBH650 BT headset

Just came across this: Samsung SBH650 BT headset
http://dailymobile.se/2008/10/30/sam...dset-pictures/

Will it work with the i8910?
Anyone have it / any good, etc.?
another battery to worry about though!