All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 30-05-2009, 07:04 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
The N97 gets a support site and manual

If you've just been itching to get to grips with the Nokia N97's user manual - or if you just want to take heart from the fact that there's an official Support page for it on Nokia's web site now (meaning that the device is about to ship), then knock yourself out (via Vaibhav). In other N97 news, there's a detailed look at its insides here (gulp).

Read on in the full article.

Old 30-05-2009, 09:36 AM
Which1?

Cant decide

Steve I know I should wait for the reviews, but based on what you know and have seen, which do YOU think is better? N97 or omnia HD? Im starting to think n97 is just the n95 but with a keyboard.

Old 30-05-2009, 12:22 PM

zxon is on a distinguished road
From past experience, does anyone know what the usual time difference is between a support page being made and the phone's shipping date?

Are we talking hours? Days? Weeks?

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 30-05-2009, 04:43 PM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Could be anything from a few days to several weeks. Also regional availability start varies.

Old 30-05-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N/A View Post
Could be anything from a few days to several weeks. Also regional availability start varies.
Thanks, I was meant to say "its first shipping date" so... usually Europe.

Hopefully... it's days

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 30-05-2009, 06:44 PM
Unregistered

In the US

Nokia, sent me another invoice and charged my credit card on Friday. I'm guessing they went out that day or Monday

Old 30-05-2009, 08:10 PM

ChaosFire is on a distinguished road
This is one of the most watered-down Nokia manuals i've ever read. There's nothing new/fascinating in it. . Besides Nokia's eco-friendly declaration at the Green Tips section (page 143). . In all its Really quite boring;i expected better from a flagship device. .

Old 30-05-2009, 08:35 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
My gut feeling is that the N97 has *already* shipped, somewhere in Europe to some lucky person. But it'll take a few more weeks before they become more widely available.

Old 31-05-2009, 09:43 AM

I've heard from a couple of "anonymous" people that they've been charged for this phone and received an invoice from Nokia, expecting it to arrive any day now. I'm not sure there's any truth in this.

I pre-ordered the phone a while ago from Nokia themselves and, although I received confirmation of the order that very day, I haven't received an invoice this weekend saying they're sending it out. I'm in the UK so should be one of the first to get one when it finally ships. Plus the Nokia Shop still has it on "Pre-order". If they were starting to ship it, surely they would change this to "In Stock" or "Out of Stock" or something.

As for the manual, I agree there wasn't much in it. If Nokia want to be more green, they should just stick to digital copies of their manuals and not have paper ones at all.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk

Old 31-05-2009, 09:56 AM
Unregistered

sounds like another N96 to me

oh gosh, give its given functionalities - it can be considered an outdated device the moment it hits the store. Really, look at the products HTC, Samsung and LG is churning out these days.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:48 PM

ChaosFire is on a distinguished road
Well, i just spoke on phone to a Nokia Nigeria representative : I wanted to know what Nokia's "real" role in Nigeria was.

While i was "running the company down" with my 30-minute phone-rant of how utterly USELESS Nokia is in Nigeria in contrast to the rest of the world,.i was told the N97 would be launched here (Nigeria) in 2-3 weeks time. And so also likely the Ovi Store for Nigeria.

All Nokia does in Nigeria is sales,advertising,and marketing (the Rep. actually TOLD Me this), plus sponsoring music artist's tours (indirectly Told me This) , ..oh! And lets not forget their Ambassador programme for universities (Nokia Nigeria calls it their "Brand Ambassador" programme,not S60 Ambassador programme - who knew ?!
((the BA programme is an extension of your everyday door-to-door salesman/woman; but in "brainwashed - university/college student" form)
For eligbility, you must LOVE Nokia phones (till you die) , breathe Nokia, talk about them, & worship Nokia everyday in a little special corner of your room.))

Don't get me wrong, the BA programme is fantastic + well-balanced. Contrary to the S60 Ambassador programme where you do it by your own will (and usually ,unknowingly, enjoy yourself at it) in the BA programme, you become Nokia's tempoary sales-puppet.. But in exchange for your 'will' , you get to try your hands on (and many at times 'own' courtesy Nokia) the latest Nokia phones (dumb or smart) as they come out;before anyone else does.
Now think of getting in your pocket one of the first 10 Nokia N97's in your country and you begin to see the advantages of the trade-off for your soul.

- Anyways, this statement allowed me to rant some more (for about 10mins) about the stark ignorance of Nigerian Nokia loyalists to the presence of the Symbian OS,usecases, and its potential. A typical example of this ignorance is aptly animated at a "fansite" called
http://www.nokiaconnected.com
Warning though: Its a "Nokia FAN Site" ,criticizing or making any comment short of "worshipping" Nokia might get you chopped off by a fan.. or worse still :have " N "-assassins stalk your home.

-After several minutes the Rep. got tired,.. then got fed up,.. then got so fed up, that she had to take potty-breaks in-between my rants;while i phoned back to vet more questions. (i could have asked her out to dinner;since she kept saying "dear", and "oh my" and "sweet heart darling" -- possibly since she couldn't use 4-letter words to tell me to 'stop complaining', 'shut up' ,'go bark at another tree' or better : moreover, not when it was a recorded conversation on company premises ..
- in the end she dubbed me as passionate about my device's inner workings and Nokia's vision (which was kinda ironic since i had been plotting for the company's downfall in Nigeria when i get out of school , or when i build my own mixed-reality mobile-framework :whichever comes first !)

Unfortunately, my arguements and rants were random and not well composed (at least to me) - thus, giving her time to say come up with an excuse, like "she had something to attend to",(or something like that ) so i had to bid her goodbye.

Anyways, i doubt Nokia NG will be doing anything new compared to the rest of the world;since they always wait for stuff to trickle down from big N (think bread-crumbs). - A good reason why most important Nokia services available elsewhere hardly ever reach here.

With that said, given that Nigeria has the largest Nokia consumer base in W.Africa, its dissappointing to know now that Nokia doesn't really much give a damn about the tiny fraction of "power users" that make up the mobile phone population here in Nigeria.(i knew this before, but its 'just refreshing' to see it again.)
Oh!.. and also that Nokia does nothing useful here besides sell phones,+advertise.

Unfortunately *sad face*, i'll probably be getting the N97 when it comes, since Samsung doesn't really have much of a face here.

P.S, with hugs & kisses:Thanks for reading to my short-rantish-story.

Last edited by ChaosFire; 01-06-2009 at 08:41 PM. Reason: typo
Ads

Old 02-06-2009, 09:35 AM

Diane is on a distinguished road
Nokia N97

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxon View Post
I've heard from a couple of "anonymous" people that they've been charged for this phone and received an invoice from Nokia, expecting it to arrive any day now. I'm not sure there's any truth in this.

I pre-ordered the phone a while ago from Nokia themselves and, although I received confirmation of the order that very day, I haven't received an invoice this weekend saying they're sending it out. I'm in the UK so should be one of the first to get one when it finally ships. Plus the Nokia Shop still has it on "Pre-order". If they were starting to ship it, surely they would change this to "In Stock" or "Out of Stock" or something.

As for the manual, I agree there wasn't much in it. If Nokia want to be more green, they should just stick to digital copies of their manuals and not have paper ones at all.
HY ZXON

Considered the the below article i think i should not go for this set . if its so outdated