All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Symbian OS News

Old 06-07-2010, 11:32 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
The dangers of a "significant" change in EU AntiTrust Laws

I wonder just how much effect the proposed EU Antitrust law change would have on the smartphone scene? The new tweak in the law would change the wording from “Dominant” to “Significant” in regards to market positions of companies. Jason Mick (at Daily Tech) highlights the issue but I don’t think it would have the huge utopian effect that many are hoping for. Here's why...

Read on in the full article.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:06 PM

Ratkat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
This still allows systems that can be completely open to third party applications, such as deskbound computing, signed and verified application ecosystems such as Symbian OS, and the more restrictive ‘check every app available’ environment that Apple prefers; but it removes the antitrust idea of “we don’t like this app” holding up third party developers.

Strange that the 'completely open' app system struggles against the 'held up third party devs'' creating for iPhone though.

Cost Effective Web Design Nximedia
Ads

Old 06-07-2010, 02:19 PM
Unregistered

maybe i read it wrong

The passage quoted on dailytech is as follows (emphasis added):

Quote:
Since not all pervasive technologies are based on standards the benefits of interoperability risk being lost in such areas. The Commission will examine the feasibility of measures that could lead significant market players to license interoperability information while at the same time promoting innovation and competition.
If i read this correctly, it does exactly what this article proposes: force company A to license interoperability information to company B, so if company B wants, it can develop software/hardware that is compatible with company A's product. There is no mention of "forced inclusion".

I don't know whether there is any clause that affects Apple's policies regarding the app store though. If they 'license interoperability information' to Adobe, Adobe can develop flash for iphones/ipads, but if it's not allowed in the app store, it is still effectively excluded without going against the quoted text.