All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

  #31  
Old 01-06-2010, 10:39 AM
brendand brendand is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 53
brendand is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by miki69 View Post
it wasn't 12MP image, more like one of those preloaded images that comes with phone, and they are quite small in size (at least with N86). I'm very curious how fast will be gallery browsing once you have hundreds of 3-4MB images inside.
Okay - well the walk-through didn't actually look at the image info, so it's possible it's not a 12MP image. A lot of the photos that were in the gallery were familiar from the sample 12Mp images provided by Nokia conversations (http://conversations.nokia.com/2010/...-n8-untouched/) - so I would expect they're all that size.

Gallery browsing should probably be as fast (if not much faster) than the Satio - which is many times faster than any other 5th edition phone , even with 3-4 megabyte images

Last edited by brendand; 01-06-2010 at 10:44 AM.

  #32  
Old 01-06-2010, 10:45 AM
buster buster is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 350
buster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by miki69 View Post
it wasn't 12MP image, more like one of those preloaded images that comes with phone, and they are quite small in size (at least with N86).
That's my suspicion as well. If it *was* a 12mp photo, perhaps they should have considered using a smaller image in the demonstration to avoid the perception of lag...

  #33  
Old 01-06-2010, 10:58 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

Sidenote: This is not CGI/rendered as suggested by unregistered. Very clearly true phone interaction.
I got confused and thought I was still in the table football thread. I think that one is CGI.

  #34  
Old 01-06-2010, 11:06 AM
brendand brendand is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 53
brendand is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buster View Post
That's my suspicion as well. If it *was* a 12mp photo, perhaps they should have considered using a smaller image in the demonstration to avoid the perception of lag...
Perhaps, or perhaps they're being honest and showing you the real device being used the way people will be using it day to day. Isn't that what you want?

  #35  
Old 01-06-2010, 12:05 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendand View Post
Perhaps, or perhaps they're being honest and showing you the real device being used the way people will be using it day to day. Isn't that what you want?
You mean without the "Sequences shortened, some steps removed" tag line? <GASP!>

  #36  
Old 01-06-2010, 01:20 PM
miki69's Avatar
miki69 miki69 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Europe
Posts: 111
miki69 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendand View Post
Gallery browsing should probably be as fast (if not much faster) than the Satio - which is many times faster than any other 5th edition phone , even with 3-4 megabyte images
That's totally fine with me.

btw, did you folks notice some stones/monument images in the beginning of the gallery? I would like to see them full size

Cheers,
Miki

Last edited by miki69; 01-06-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Ads

  #37  
Old 01-06-2010, 02:48 PM
buster buster is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 350
buster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendand View Post
Perhaps, or perhaps they're being honest and showing you the real device being used the way people will be using it day to day. Isn't that what you want?
Fair point. I wasn't really complaining about the lag, I just responded as I saw it. However, if you are trying to get people to move over to Symbian from other platforms, they may not necessarily be too impressed if these kinds of video give the impression that the phone may be laggy, even if that is not really the case... I certainly think that to win people over you have to wow them occasionally, especially if they are already iPhone users, as Apple are very good at that aspect of their marketing.

I for one am actually very impressed by the N8, although I would prefer a Pro version with a QWERTY keyboard, as I am currently an E90 user and would not like to move away to a device without a keyboard.

As a long time Psion and Symbian user, I sincerely hope that Nokia get the N8 launch right, and it doesn't end up as flawed as the N97 was, especially after the N97 promo material promised so much...

  #38  
Old 01-06-2010, 03:18 PM
morpheus2702's Avatar
morpheus2702 morpheus2702 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 171
morpheus2702 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buster View Post
I for one am actually very impressed by the N8...

I sincerely hope that Nokia get the N8 launch right, and it doesn't end up as flawed as the N97 was, especially after the N97 promo material promised so much...
The N8 - you're impressed by the... promo material?

  #39  
Old 01-06-2010, 06:57 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Ohhhh Nokia. This UI is so boring. It's just the same really. Slight tweaks. No smooth cool looking transitions.

I'm waiting for an Android with a Xenon flash and I'm off. I'm sure I will not miss Symbian and its outdated look. I've been a symbian user since the Nokia 7650 but I'm just bored of it now.

I'm jealous over the apps on the iphone, I'm jealous the the HTC sense UI, Windows mobile UI is looking uber cool and then theres The nokia N8 and the only thing impressive about it, is it's hardware. But the hardware race is over, it's all about Software.

  #40  
Old 01-06-2010, 07:08 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Ohhhh Nokia. This UI is so boring. It's just the same really. Slight tweaks. No smooth cool looking transitions.

I'm waiting for an Android with a Xenon flash and I'm off. I'm sure I will not miss Symbian and its outdated look. I've been a symbian user since the Nokia 7650 but I'm just bored of it now.

I'm jealous over the apps on the iphone, I'm jealous the the HTC sense UI, Windows mobile UI is looking uber cool and then theres The nokia N8 and the only thing impressive about it, is it's hardware. But the hardware race is over, it's all about Software.
YYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!

What is REALLY boring is yet another bullshyte "I'm off to Android" post. There must have been a couple of hundred over the weeks. I wish they all hurry up and go.

  #41  
Old 01-06-2010, 09:26 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Ohhhh Nokia. This UI is so boring. It's just the same really. Slight tweaks. No smooth cool looking transitions.

I'm waiting for an Android with a Xenon flash and I'm off. I'm sure I will not miss Symbian and its outdated look. I've been a symbian user since the Nokia 7650 but I'm just bored of it now.

I'm jealous over the apps on the iphone, I'm jealous the the HTC sense UI, Windows mobile UI is looking uber cool and then theres The nokia N8 and the only thing impressive about it, is it's hardware. But the hardware race is over, it's all about Software.
Android with xenon? You'll be waiting for quite a while........

  #42  
Old 01-06-2010, 09:29 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
YYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!

What is REALLY boring is yet another bullshyte "I'm off to Android" post. There must have been a couple of hundred over the weeks. I wish they all hurry up and go.
I wish they'd all just stfu and go!

  #43  
Old 02-06-2010, 06:11 AM
Krypton15
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Talking Krypton15

yeah! i really don't know why they keep on commenting to this post if they really want is Android.. if you want android, then post you comments on android article.. of course people here will talk about N8 because this is the article which is related to.. tsk tsk..

  #44  
Old 02-06-2010, 07:09 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krypton15 View Post
yeah! i really don't know why they keep on commenting to this post if they really want is Android.. if you want android, then post you comments on android article.. of course people here will talk about N8 because this is the article which is related to.. tsk tsk..
The problem is that some people have a basic insecurity which causes them to need to justify their decisions with a form of denial. If they are in a thread about the N8 and Symbian^3 and being critical, then basically that suggests that they are impressed by it.

Anyway, enough psychobabble, ^3 on N8 DOES look quite impressive, but I'll wait until I've had my hands on one to make up my mind completely.

  #45  
Old 02-06-2010, 07:12 AM
morpheus2702's Avatar
morpheus2702 morpheus2702 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 171
morpheus2702 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
N8 DOES look quite impressive, but I'll wait until I've had my hands on one to make up my mind completely.
Hear hear!
 

Bookmarks

Tags
examined, nokia, overview, video

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 06:45 PM.


vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Notes || Contact Us || Privacy Policy