All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 19-02-2010, 10:47 AM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Ewan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to behold
The DIY return of the Podcasting application

One of the more interesting design choices Nokia have made in their firmware is the dropping of two multimedia applications on the later E-Series devices, namely Internet Radio and Podcasting. While third party applications (such as Escarpod) are available, those of you looking to get the original Nokia application on your device should head over to Symbian-Guru’s latest tutorial, which takes you through the process.

Read on in the full article.

Old 19-02-2010, 12:46 PM
Unregistered

I'd be happier if they finally posted the rest of the E72 review - I think I could do it like, 10 times faster than them. ;X

Old 19-02-2010, 01:33 PM

neilhoskins is on a distinguished road
Leaving podcasting off the e-series isn't as bizarre as leaving Internet Radio off the 5800 "Xpress Music".

Old 20-02-2010, 03:50 AM
Sazpaimon

Cool, I'm now mysterious.

Good to see that my work has spread far and wide and is generally well received throughout the community. As far as the whole "gray area" thing is concerned. The podcasting program is open source since last week, so I think that it's safe to assume that it's entirely legit to use on your device.

How you get it on there, however, is a whole different story.

Thanks for reporting!
Ads

Old 20-02-2010, 12:48 PM
John G. Doe

@Sazpaimon

Your "work"? Do you really think that you have achieved something? "Work" is a word better saved for better and more consistent efforts, preferably with positive outcome.

Symbian is open source. Nokia Podcasting is not. It is a Nokia owned application, branded as such on all their phones. Symbian does have an open source podcasting application, through a recent contribution, but that would be Escarpod. Take this as a bit of trivia, since I honestly don't believe you give a damn.

Old 20-02-2010, 04:59 PM
Unregistered

This John Doe guy sounds like a disgruntled Nokia employee who's too scared to reveal his true identity.

Or maybe it's Steve Litchfield? Reads similar to him.

Regardless, we are consumers, we don't care about your silly ideals. Nokia placed a false limit on its customers, what else did you expect?

Thanks to the guy who extracted and repackaged the Podcasting app. Don't let guys like 'John Doe' put you off. We are end users, we should make sure we get the best for what we pay for.

Old 20-02-2010, 09:03 PM

yade is on a distinguished road
wohoo, a working podcasting app on the i8910. The Samsung version has never worked but this works flawlessly. I am very happy!

Old 21-02-2010, 07:37 AM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thanks to the guy who extracted and repackaged the Podcasting app. Don't let guys like 'John Doe' put you off. We are end users, we should make sure we get the best for what we pay for.
Even if it means breaking laws and regulations (using products against the owner's will & breaking at least copyright laws in the process)?

Which laws, in your opinion, are consumers allowed to break to "make sure we get the best for what we pay for"?

So far, consumer rights, have not - in most countries - had any special provisions for breaking laws and stealing software.

Old 21-02-2010, 10:21 PM
Unregistered

didn't know it was removed

I just went out and grabbed an n97 through a carrier in canada. unfortunately they haven't come out with newest firmware for Bell n97 so still hoping newest firmware becomes available. But podcasting app still included on this phone, unfortunately no internet radio app.

Old 26-02-2010, 02:47 AM

joky123 is on a distinguished road
hi

so far ive got my boots and working on getting the rest of the 300+ hairs for the rest of my group quests...

weeds 1-5