All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 16-02-2010, 11:31 AM
DaniK84

same problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i understand now. but why is it not running? i have NO apps opened. just tried to start skype. but no message or something else... after pressing "continue" it ends. so Nimbuzz and Fring ARE STILL better then the skype client.
Same problem here. 5800-356, not branded,latest firmware, just closes after pressing continue. Installed on phone memory. No apps opened either...
Seems still buggy,here's hoping for a bugfix update too.

Old 16-02-2010, 11:43 AM
fakefur

not for the N86...

*sigh*

rub some more salt into the wounds of my "flagship" phone
oh well...

Old 16-02-2010, 12:48 PM
Unregistered

Thumbs down Memory Leak

Only way for single app eat up all memory (+20 megs free at least) is to have a severe memory leak.

Old 16-02-2010, 12:54 PM

Antoine of MMM is on a distinguished road
Mental note to pass AAS the link when I post first

There are some issues still with the client, but its at least here and there are paying attention to many of them. I'm not disapointed in it personally, but the random shutting off of the app does get annoying throughout the day.

There's an issue where if you have a ton of contacts (I've got 1000+) and then try to merge the Skype and local phonebook that Skype crashes. You need to uninstall, then reinstall, and select *not* to show phonebook contacts in Skype app.

Haven't seen anything else just yet. But like I said, its good that its finally here.

Old 16-02-2010, 02:17 PM

psiegumfeldt is on a distinguished road
Cant download?

When I go to skype.com/m on my 5800XM I do not get a download link and if I ask for a sms from Skype this link directs me to the same link with no download option.

Anyone else having the same problem? Or have an idea of where else I can get it?

Old 16-02-2010, 02:34 PM
macdiddy

The Samsung I8910 doesn't support VIOP, so I don't think you'll get Skype to work.. :(

Old 16-02-2010, 02:59 PM
Fevves

i8910 might not support VoIP, but then again Fring devs has the workaround for this - and as you know Fring redirects you to Skype call services... What's the deal now? Why native Skype application can't do what third party application can when using Skype services?

Old 16-02-2010, 03:00 PM
Unregistered

Solved...

at least for...skype also broke down afer continue...i switched to english (language settings) today and it worked...after switching back to my normal language it still continues to work...seems to be a bug

Old 16-02-2010, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdiddy View Post
The Samsung I8910 doesn't support VIOP, so I don't think you'll get Skype to work.. :(
It does support VOIP. It may not have all the SIP profiles built-in by default, but as someone else has mentioned, Fring (and others, like Truephone) have made VOIP work perfectly well on the i8910 (and Satio)

Old 16-02-2010, 03:05 PM
macdiddy

Fring use a server based solution afaik, so doesn't need VIOP on the handset, the Skype app is full p-2-p all done on the handset.

Old 16-02-2010, 03:13 PM
macdiddy

Quote from Steve Litchfield:

Chat messages don't seem to be stored locally and it can take up to minute for a lengthy chat history to be loaded up and rendered - guys, why not just grab the last day's worth, rather than the last month? Just a thought.

I found in settings -> general in the app that you can change how far back you want to receive your chat messages (data storage) i.e. 1 day, 3 days, 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month, 3 months or forever.

Old 16-02-2010, 03:16 PM

mato3113 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Skype v1.0.0.3 on Nokia 5800

Quote:
Originally Posted by psiegumfeldt View Post
When I go to skype.com/m on my 5800XM I do not get a download link and if I ask for a sms from Skype this link directs me to the same link with no download option.

Anyone else having the same problem? Or have an idea of where else I can get it?
Hi psiegumfeldt

The same happened to me with Nokia 5230 which I believe is same as 5800 apart of few things. I have copied the installation file from N97 and installed it on 5230 and works fine

Here is the link enjoy.

Last edited by mato3113; 16-02-2010 at 03:48 PM.

Old 16-02-2010, 04:14 PM
DaniK84

Thumbs up solves the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
at least for...skype also broke down afer continue...i switched to english (language settings) today and it worked...after switching back to my normal language it still continues to work...seems to be a bug
Great idea, helped the issue on my 5800, too. Now Skype works pretty well. A feature I miss is to display (and call) other numbers than default ones from contacts you edited on your computer who have more than one number attached. But that's just a minor issue I can cope with for now, maybe some future update will solve this too.
thanks mr.unregistered for the hint

Old 16-02-2010, 05:07 PM

t4inc is on a distinguished road
This isn't even an issue on the n900. It's easy to make Skype calls.
Ads

Old 16-02-2010, 05:57 PM

swaroopsundar is on a distinguished road
skype on N97 mini v11

I am unable to log on to fring/nimbuzz once skype is loaded on my phone(I am not trying to use both skype & fring/nimbuzz at the same time).
Uninstalled skype & was able to log on to nimbuzz. Wondering if anyone else out there facing the same issue. Or is it just my network or settings on fring/nimbuzz...

PS. installed skype on memory card....