All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 04-01-2010, 03:05 AM

lp4u is on a distinguished road
Birthdays in Contacts

hi. I've put all the birthdays of my friends in the contacts. but how do i do so that they appear in the calendar so that i can remember and wish them? thanks guys for replying
Ads

Old 04-01-2010, 12:19 PM

rdcinhou is on a distinguished road
A while back there was a free app in the Ovi Store called "Birthdays" which would, when you ran it, make a pass through your Contacts and add them to your Calendar.

*** Did a quick check this morning....three pay apps and one free app in the Ovi store. Only one of them (a pay app) will take from your Contacts to add to the calendar.

Last edited by rdcinhou; 04-01-2010 at 05:32 PM. Reason: updated information

Old 05-01-2010, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcinhou View Post
A while back there was a free app in the Ovi Store called "Birthdays" which would, when you ran it, make a pass through your Contacts and add them to your Calendar.

*** Did a quick check this morning....three pay apps and one free app in the Ovi store. Only one of them (a pay app) will take from your Contacts to add to the calendar.
no way round the PAYING thing?

Old 05-01-2010, 07:14 AM

8Ball is on a distinguished road
If you sync your phone to your pc will the windows contacts and calendar not do it? Then simply sync your calendar back?

Old 06-01-2010, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Ball View Post
If you sync your phone to your pc will the windows contacts and calendar not do it? Then simply sync your calendar back?
can you tell me step by step on doing it. BTW i remember the last time i sync my contacts, the windows contact thing will show only one mobile number for those having 2 mobiles phone and while sync back to mobile, i'll lose one mobile number. is there a way round this also? using iphone and blackberry, sync was MUCH MUCH more easier than with nokia

Old 06-01-2010, 05:46 PM

snoFlake is on a distinguished road
Funnily enough just run into exact same issue - have spent ages tidying up my contacts and rounding up birhtdays etc and manually enetering them into contact details, imagine my surprise when they're not showing in the calendar - I really can't believe S60 works like this even my 5 yr old SE featurephone did this for F's sake what a shoddy cobbled together over the years OS.

I would love to know if I'm missing something or how else to do it, exactly. I don't have full MS Outlook only express and TBird and Evolution on Lin and I'm not stumping up for a full version just for my mates birthdays . So short of buying one of the birthday apps - 1.50 that somehow I grudge spending cos I can't beilieve I have to or doing it manually what are my optioons? I now have all my birhtday records on phone and sync'd into OVI on PC and online. Where form here?

Old 10-01-2010, 11:32 AM

snoFlake is on a distinguished road
So I cracked and ponied up for "Best Birthday" from Ovi store and yes it's only 1.50 and does quite nice job as far as I can see and saved me having to go through calendar transcribing couple hundred birthdays from contacts.

But seriously what a farce and although trivial in some ways just another example of how cobbled together and unthought though the whole OS/UI. What have Nokia been doing with this for last 10 years? This is my first Nokia phone if I'd had any understanding of how bad S60 is no way would I have blundered into it. I mean just think about it a UI that has a progamme that invites you to enter contacts' birthdays in an then has no means of putting reminders on the calendar for them, I know Ewan Spence is always going on about the poorness of the PIM functions but that is retarded.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:43 PM

mrochester is on a distinguished road
This is precisely one of those oversights that tarnishes S60s reputation. It's a real shame too, because these things are just so stupid, and should be easily and quickly fixed.

Old 13-01-2010, 08:35 PM

jairocon is on a distinguished road
Well... I've done something similar... I've organized all my contacts in the gmail contact list, with phone numbers, birthdays etc... thinking I'd just sinc with my n95 8gb using google sync. It synced fairly well - but it didn't sync any of the birthday fields... so now I have a contact list in my phone w/o birthdays...

Old 14-01-2010, 05:37 AM

i've tried best birthday and it is really the best. you can just mark all birthdays and put alarm on them. and it appears in the calendar.

Old 28-03-2010, 02:05 PM

abalkin is on a distinguished road
I have tried birtdays widget - it's a nice solution.
it shows info about upcoming birtdays on homescreen of my N97.

http://store.ovi.com/content/29781