All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 02-12-2009, 09:58 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
To Touch or Not To Touch - the Christmas 2009 edition

Returning to a familiar theme but with a new twist, I caught myself doing something rather silly and rather telling. Reprising the pros and cons of touchscreen phones in the face of almost universal acceptance, seemingly, it does rather seem as though a tipping point has been reached. Read on for my Dec 2009 thoughts on 'Touch vs non-Touch'...

Read on in the full article.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:05 AM

Captain Jon is on a distinguished road
Still happy with my none-touch E55, and this coming from a guy who used to own plenty of Palms and Clies, and was an early adaptor of the first ever Xda model.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:23 AM

Jaggz is on a distinguished road
Surely the most cost effective, robust and simple designs will win out in the end? Take a look at the current iPhone. There are 4 moving parts. Just 4. The N86 on the other hand has in excess of 24! I guess that devices such as the N900 and N97 have even more moving parts. Is this physical complexity a good thing? I'm not so sure...

Old 02-12-2009, 10:28 AM

fidolatry is on a distinguished road
Personally I'm aiming to hold off on a touch device for as long as I can, for one simple reason -- I hate futzing with screen protectors, but wouldn't use a touch device without one...

Old 02-12-2009, 10:28 AM
Unregistered

An automobile has thousands of moving parts. What is your point?

As for robustness, 4 colleagues of mine has iPhones with cracked screens! My E51 on the other hand has been dropped plenty of times (onto hard flooring no less) and is carried in a pocket full of change and keys, and is still going strong.

In any case, I like my buttons. Touchscreen has its uses, but I am fine without them.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:31 AM

Nemoi is on a distinguished road
for me the biggest difference are the application possibilities that touch and big enough screens create in terms of extra utilities, games and web infos. Just looking and how much more I can do with the N97 now that ovi store is starting to pick up the pace.

PS: @aas: I recommend a shout out for the offscreen advent calendar available in ovi store, with one free offscreen application each day!
Ads

Old 02-12-2009, 10:50 AM

Jejoma is on a distinguished road
I must confess to having a touch-screen for play and a non-touch for work. The key factor for work is that I must be able to use it one handed (So the N97 form factor would be no use) whilst for play I can enjoy the extras that a large screen brings.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:54 AM

pennas is on a distinguished road
Surely "larger display" would be a pro, as well as a con?

Old 02-12-2009, 10:59 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
I dont know if it is non-touch phones that are more robust, but Nokia phones usually are. I remember once, my n93 fell out of my jacket pocket while I was riding my bike. I was at a speed of around 60 KM, the phone hit the road and kept on bouncing and dragging for about 2 feet. I stopped my bike some distance away, came walking back fearing the worst, but the only thing wrong with the phone was glaringly visible scratches on the flap. EVERYTHING was working fine...

Old 02-12-2009, 11:04 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
@pennas: Yes, my wording was a little confusing, I've tweaked the formatting to make this clearer 8-)

Old 02-12-2009, 11:50 AM

ILoveGadgets is on a distinguished road
Touch vs Buttons

We may not have a choice! All of the latest & greatest phones seem to be heading towards screen-tapping finger-friendliness. Personally I still prefer buttons as most of the "cons" mentioned in the article resonate with me, but looking around for my next phone and I am sorely disappointed with the button-options out there (n86 being the best as far as I can see). Take the two latest from Nokia - X6, has everything, would be perfect for me apart from it's a touch screen. On the other hand, the X3 looks lovely and would be perfect for me if it had the functionality of the X6. Not much going on with other manufacturers either. So I'm starting to resign myself to the fact my next phone may have to be a touch-screen.

ILG

Old 02-12-2009, 11:51 AM
Unregistered

I just upgraded my e71 to an E72 and I couldn't be more happier. For me I hate the hassle of looking at the screen to do something. With buttons I can just click the menu key, go down 4 steps with the navigation key and click to open the application folder, all without looking at the screen.

I like the flexibility of buttons, thats why I stick with my e72 for on the go mobility, calls and actual work. Then for fun and casual stuff, I got my N97 to back me up. All in all, it depends on preference and for me, its buttons all the way.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:51 AM

snoFlake is on a distinguished road
I would say (and no prizes) that touch and +3" screens are here to stay for the foreseeable because of the "killer App" on mobile devices; viewing t'internet and messages (voice being a given I guess). And although physical buttons and keyboards are nice in a lot of the circumstances you name they are also the form factor that is most sacrificable in order to trim size/weight/cost on a device whereas the screen real estate is non-negotiable in current environment, it also offers much easier "instant" flexibility from phone - GPS - Gaming etc.

However some of the benefits of physical interface surely are going to be sorely missed by not necessarily the minority. Along the lines of the much delayed but not ambitious or advanced enough Modu I would be quite surprised not to see some sort of modular phone system evolve (I think Sharp were working on one) with components such as a tiny comms unit with with the GPS and small/minimal touch screen maybe in a watch form (for jeans pockets nights) and then unit with add on keyboards, one handed texting unit ,larger touchscreen, (large)r cam, game controller etc. Or even more distributed around the body as personal network - the infamous "intelligent-wear". Of course by then we could be seeing flexible screens and gesture control................

Old 02-12-2009, 11:53 AM

yade is on a distinguished road
@slitchfield. That picture looks too familiar. I have lost count of the amount of times I have picked up my N86 and tried to touch the screen to select something after using touch since the launch of the 5800.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:16 PM

filipp is on a distinguished road
This proofs in some way, that touch interface is very natural way to operate interactive handheld device, I think. Definetly "to touch", but slide-out keyboard is always welcome .