All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 17-10-2009, 03:05 PM
Unregistered

Nokia

We have not seen nothing outstanding from Nokia since the Big Hippe about the N95,since this mobile we haven"t seen nothing outstanding,N96,N85 an now N86 are letting people down as there qualities have not been Top Class,an Samsung an even Sony Ericsson are showing Nokia up,releasing much slimmer an better featured mobiles,Why? have Nokia kept with the same strategy releasing everyone of there supposed be Top End Mobile with 5 mega-pixel camera mobiles,o.k they have been more bothered about catching up in the Touch Screen Mobile Market but it should have been Nokia that started the Touch Screen Mobiles off to show the others up but it was Samsung that did the right thing but Nokia didn"t realise the boom an egnored it at first but now learning from another big mistake by themselves,its very annoying reading all the big mistakes Nokia are making,but hope something happens quite soon or there sales will get worse at Nokia

Old 17-10-2009, 03:22 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
We have not seen nothing outstanding from Nokia since the Big Hippe about the N95,since this mobile we haven"t seen nothing outstanding,N96,N85 an now N86 are letting people down as there qualities have not been Top Class,an Samsung an even Sony Ericsson are showing Nokia up,releasing much slimmer an better featured mobiles,Why? have Nokia kept with the same strategy releasing everyone of there supposed be Top End Mobile with 5 mega-pixel camera mobiles,o.k they have been more bothered about catching up in the Touch Screen Mobile Market but it should have been Nokia that started the Touch Screen Mobiles off to show the others up but it was Samsung that did the right thing but Nokia didn"t realise the boom an egnored it at first but now learning from another big mistake by themselves,its very annoying reading all the big mistakes Nokia are making,but hope something happens quite soon or there sales will get worse at Nokia
I feel that English is not your first language. So, excusing the double negatives and appalling grammar, I will concentrate on facts.

N86 is an 8 Mega-Pixel phone, not 5. However, cameras in phones suffer from poor lenses and there isn't a good one out there.

As for outstanding, what new phone has appeared on the market in the last two years that could be considered outstanding? There has been no outstanding breakthrough from any manufacturer. The iPhone user interface (the UI, not the phone itself) that appeared in the summer of 2007 was the last great step forward.

Old 17-10-2009, 04:47 PM
Unregistered

Smile Its all about Symbian

I would say, Symbian (S60) is what is holding Nokia back.

May be N97 would have been an outstanding device if it was released on say the "iPhone OS"
The hardware is top-notch(at least comparable), the software simply sucks!!!

May be its difficult to get developers to write for symbian,

Maybe thats why Nokia is moving to Maemo and Qt.

May be thats why the Ovi Store sucks and has only widgets and wallpapers (except for Gravity).

May be thats why the NGAGE platform dint work.

May be thats why there is so much emphasis that "todays Java applications are as good as Native C++ applications on symbian".

It just may be.....

Turnaround doesn't happen in one day. It takes a while for large companies to change strategies , Nokia is now becoming a software company only now. It will take at least another 2 years to harden.

Expect the next N95 equivalent in late 2011, until till then Nokia will manage the show(on the sales front) with variants for the 5800 which will sell like hot cakes.

Nothing to worry, its going to be business as usual!!!!

Old 17-10-2009, 04:47 PM

oniox is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by morpheus2702 View Post
A bit early to make the call on the N900?

But given the pattern of hype then disappointment over releases this year (anyone recall AAS being awash with how the N97 was going to be Nokia's 'white knight' back in May?) will the N900 be the one to break the cycle?
Well given the relative lack of applications, portrait orientation and wait for it, MMS , the N900 though a very powerful device and thus a hit with techies will hardly make it in the mainstream. NOKIA have lost the plot as far as high end smartphones goes and Comes with Music service is hardly proving the respite they expected it to be nor is the abysmal OVI. I am not a fan of Apple but they played it right in every sense of the word. I wonder if anyone is at home at Nokia, where is the answer to iTunes, why is Maemo not ready for the mainstream at this stage.

By the time the much heralded Maemo 6 is released it may just be too late. I hope not.

Someone is LAZY in Espoo.

Old 17-10-2009, 05:59 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I would say, Symbian (S60) is what is holding Nokia back.

May be N97 would have been an outstanding device if it was released on say the "iPhone OS"
The hardware is top-notch(at least comparable), the software simply sucks!!!
Not top notch. No graphics accelerator and a (relatively) slow cpu clock. Symbian (not S60) copes pretty well considering.

Quote:
May be its difficult to get developers to write for symbian,
Possibly, but there are plenty out there.

Quote:
Maybe thats why Nokia is moving to Maemo and Qt.
QT will be a means of UI development for S60 and Symbian, there is no movement from Symbian to QT (because they are different animals and there is no pathway between the two. Nokia has announced that the range of Symbian devices will increase and published a Symbian roadmap way into the future. Symbian is for smartphones, Maemo for a different class of device.

Quote:
May be thats why the Ovi Store sucks and has only widgets and wallpapers (except for Gravity).
That's just plain cr@p. Ovi store is full pointless native apps, just like all the other crApp
Stores out there for other phones makers.

Quote:
May be thats why the NGAGE platform dint work.
The NGAGE platform failed because it is not a viable gaming platform for gamers, and other people aren't interested in games enough to want to bother with it. It's a pointless extra layer to fiddle with. Why not just code the game into an app?

Quote:
May be thats why there is so much emphasis that "todays Java applications are as good as Native C++ applications on symbian".
First I've heard that. Java doesn't even come close to native Symbian apps. Why did you capitialise "Native" ? I wouldn't even consider java to develop on Symbian.

Quote:
Expect the next N95 equivalent in late 2011, until till then Nokia will manage the show(on the sales front) with variants for the 5800 which will sell like hot cakes.

Nothing to worry, its going to be business as usual!!!!
The 5800 is an astonishing value for money package. Nothing else comes close.

Old 17-10-2009, 06:07 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by oniox View Post
Well given the relative lack of applications, portrait orientation and wait for it, MMS , the N900 though a very powerful device and thus a hit with techies will hardly make it in the mainstream. NOKIA have lost the plot as far as high end smartphones goes and Comes with Music service is hardly proving the respite they expected it to be nor is the abysmal OVI. I am not a fan of Apple but they played it right in every sense of the word. I wonder if anyone is at home at Nokia, where is the answer to iTunes, why is Maemo not ready for the mainstream at this stage.

By the time the much heralded Maemo 6 is released it may just be too late. I hope not.

Someone is LAZY in Espoo.
MMS will be phased out, or will extinct itself anyway. Any network provider can quote figures that show just how little use is made of MMS. Far more images go to service uploads (like Flickr) and as email attachments

I don't think anyone expects the N900 to be a big seller. I for one wouldn't want to carry a lump like that especially when it will do barely more than a Netbook for twice the price.

CwM was doomed before it was started by the music industry remuneration problems. And the fact that MP3 through headphones/earpieces is very second or third class way of listening to music anyway. Most of the world also dislikes iTunes.

Old 17-10-2009, 07:41 PM

sapporobaby is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Most of the world also dislikes iTunes.
Prove this with a fact and not an opinion. Post a link to match the 75% + that iTunes enjoys.....

Old 17-10-2009, 08:51 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post
Prove this with a fact and not an opinion. Post a link to match the 75% + that iTunes enjoys.....
75% + of what?

You post a link to prove it is a fact that most of the world likes iTunes?

Post a link to prove it is a fact that 75% of the world's population uses iTunes.

If you can't then you've made yourself look like a complete cock-end. Yet again.
Ads

Old 17-10-2009, 10:10 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by morpheus2702 View Post
Rafe, saying that the N97 has outsold the Palm Pre is not the greatest testament to the success of the N97. And let's face it, until the advent of the Hero, Android phones have been phones for the early-adopter/geek that generally don't appeal to the casual mobile shopper.

The same casual shopper won't have heard of the myriad faults of the N97 and will buy it because it is just that - Nokia's flagship, the best phone from the world's biggest mobile manufacturer with a trusted reputation.
Fair point - that'll teach me to post when I'm tired / rushing.

The point I was trying to make is there is an alternative view to it being regarded as a failure... it's likely to be the second best selling high-end phone of the tear (behind, inevitably, the iPhone). I'm not saying that's good, but it does speak to the fact how much a phone sells is not a direct correlation to how good it is.... Note that the N97 was Nokia's biggest revenue earner (by handset type I think) in the last quarter (the 5800 or E71 was second - can't remember which).

Incidentally my personal opinion is someone in between I think that I find the N97 significantly more powerful than the N95... but I've ended up using an E55 a lot recently.

I also think the software update and especially the N97 Mini will help a lot. However I don't expect the geek market to necessarily notice (the damage has been done). The same thing happened to the N96 (wasn't a great seller, but did OK). Interestingly more than one Nokia exec has said the N97 / N97 mini combo, would, in time, outsell the N95 / N95 8GB - be interesting to see if that pans out.

Old 18-10-2009, 01:07 PM

nwhitfield is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by oniox View Post
Well given the relative lack of applications, portrait orientation and wait for it, MMS , the N900 though a very powerful device and thus a hit with techies will hardly make it in the mainstream.
Really?

The iPhone launched in 2007; it was several months before an SDK appeared, and a full year before the AppStore. Until then apps certainly weren't plentiful, or practical for novice users.

It took two years until MMS appeared on the phone.

So, for the first year of the iPhones life, it too could be said to have a relative lack of applications; for the first two years, it was missing MMS.

And, you know what? It actually did pretty well in both years. Doesn't that suggest that, for an awful lot of potential purchasers, not having lots of apps available, and not having MMS, aren't deal breakers, provided the rest of the package does what they want?

Personally, I could count the number of MMSs I've ever sent on the fingers of a pretty badly mutilated hand. For me, the thing that might put me off the N900 is more subtle - the lack of full profile support that's been mentioned in some previews.

I use profiles every day, to ensure only the calls I want to reach me get through at certain times, automatically. Without that, a phone won't replace my N95. But - and this is quite important, I think - that's *my* usage. And I know that other people may never use anything more than silent mode, or even just turn the phone off, and not be worried at all about having only two pre-defined profiles.

I certainly shan't decree the N900 a failure just because something that I personally want isn't there. I think that would be arrogant. For many other people, it will undoubtedly be a serious contender. It may well be for me, if that's addressed.

Nigel.

Old 18-10-2009, 06:08 PM

sapporobaby is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If you can't then you've made yourself look like a complete cock-end. Yet again.
I am proud to be a member of your family. Thanks for recognizing that. At the end of the day, it has to really suck to be you. Maybe you should try and get out in the sun, put down the half eaten pizza and 2 liter bottle of Pepsi. Don't forget your acne medicine.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/19/te...er=rss&emc=rss (Judging by current standards, Nokia will plod along and fail)

Old 19-10-2009, 03:36 PM
suju_k

Outstanding device.

I heard that there is one outstanding device coming our way.

Motorola Droid. The specs are amazing !!!!
http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/...roid-hands-on/

Kudos to Motorola. I'm Sure Nokia can take a leaf and create some magic.

Old 21-10-2009, 06:22 AM
Unregistered

I`ve heard N97 sold 2 million units in three months,but the total sales volume of nokia Nseries in last quarter is less than 5 million. So will that sales volume of N97 be actually NOT true?