All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 22-09-2009, 03:57 PM

Gary1193 is on a distinguished road
Opera mini beta 5 as default browser

Hi All

Does anyone know how to make Opera mini beta 5 your default browser on the N97? I went into settings - phone - application settings - default apps and tried changing Browsing Internet from Web, but Opera mini was not listed.

Many thanks

Gary

Old 23-09-2009, 06:06 AM

angiepea is on a distinguished road
just bumping this one back up Gary, cos i'd like to know too.

in the meantime i've got the opera app on my homescreen (i replaced the web link) which does just as well.

for any out there that haven't tried opera 5 yet .... oooohhh you really have to and my tip is to download it straight to your phone from their website and not via pc as it just seems to work better

Old 23-09-2009, 06:36 AM

Thanks Angie
Ads

Old 23-09-2009, 11:31 AM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile Default | Standard | ROM | Multitasking

Default Applications are settled in the ROM ( Z: or Firmware ) . Unless you have the legal rights , you cannot change the protected Read Only Memory . BTW : why would you exchange a mature App for a beta ?
So just put Mini Opera on an easy to access position . Two browsers have more opportunities than just one , I believe . Especially when multitasking is a profitable feature . I like to switch a lot , while both browsers are running .

Regards jApi NL

Last edited by jApi NL; 23-09-2009 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Correction

Old 23-09-2009, 12:24 PM

ironass is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jApi NL View Post
Default Applications are settled in the ROM ( Z: or Firmware ) . Unless you have the legal rights , you cannot change the protected Read Only Memory . BTW : why would you exchange a mature App for a beta ?
So just put Mini Opera on an easy to access position . Two browsers have more opportunities than just one , I believe . Especially when multitasking is a profitable feature . I like to switch a lot , while both browsers are running .

Regards jApi NL
Seems pointless in having the "Change default" application then if one cannot choose another application that Nokia deem fit or allow you to use.

I choose beta versions because I have found that they can be superior to older app's as technology moves forward so rapidly these days. In the case of Opera 5 beta I at first disliked it but now I have come to grips with it I realise its potential over the, now, old Nokia browser.

The nice thing about the Opera 5 browser is that you don't have to run two browsers as the Opera 5 can have multiple tabbed pages and user defined speed dial thus allowing me to open 9 of my favourite sites in one go and flick between them. It also loads pages at lightening speed for me as well as offering an on screen QWERTY keypad, both in portrait and landscape.

I've become a big fan of it now and have deleted the built in old browser and installed Opera on shortcuts.

Old 23-09-2009, 01:21 PM

snuge is on a distinguished road
Kind of related - Has anyone tried to add an rss feed using opera 5 or tried to use a phone number from a web site? i cant do either. just to check if ive over looked something

Old 23-09-2009, 01:26 PM

ironass is on a distinguished road
Just touch and hold the phone number and it is displayed on a pop-up screen with the option to call, yes or no.

Old 23-09-2009, 01:36 PM

Hi Ian

Thats the reason I use beta programs, so you can progress. I hope there is a way to change the default browser as I like Opera a lot. Maybe a firmware update if we ever get one

Gary

Old 23-09-2009, 02:41 PM

angiepea is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian-ross@beeb.n View Post
Seems pointless in having the "Change default" application then if one cannot choose another application that Nokia deem fit or allow you to use.

I choose beta versions because I have found that they can be superior to older app's as technology moves forward so rapidly these days. In the case of Opera 5 beta I at first disliked it but now I have come to grips with it I realise its potential over the, now, old Nokia browser.

The nice thing about the Opera 5 browser is that you don't have to run two browsers as the Opera 5 can have multiple tabbed pages and user defined speed dial thus allowing me to open 9 of my favourite sites in one go and flick between them. It also loads pages at lightening speed for me as well as offering an on screen QWERTY keypad, both in portrait and landscape.

I've become a big fan of it now and have deleted the built in old browser and installed Opera on shortcuts.

Old 24-09-2009, 12:02 AM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
Have to say, just tried this the other day, and much prefer it to the previous Opera, and also just after using it the first few times, find it much slicker than the default browser, so also would like to set it as the new default browser.

Again, would like an easy way to work how how to switch the connection settings between "internet ' and 'wi-fi '

But after the first couple of days, think it's really nice.
RM-530
E72-1