All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 04-08-2009, 02:03 PM

geeks05 is on a distinguished road
List of default Applications before reset

My phone needs a full reset!

The C: drive is 68% full and RAM is about the same so I'm assuming its time to do a total reset and reinstall everything to the mass memory.

There isn't much installed on the c: drive except the default applications and messaging so I'm assuming its the messaging that could be taking up most of the memory!

I have a t-mobile (uk version) handset so I have a web'n'walk browser installed. Is this likely to get deleted if Ido the reset? If so, can someone please advise of the other alternatives?

Also - is anybody aware of a complete list of all default applications & where I can find these online so I can reinstall?

Thanks in advance

Old 04-08-2009, 02:12 PM

ironass is on a distinguished road
Why not move messaging to E:?

Menu > Messaging > Options > Settings > Other > Memory in use (select E: Mass memory)

Also you could reinstall the built in widgets to Mass Memory by going to the Ovi store and downloading them onto E:

Old 04-08-2009, 02:17 PM

nbriscoeuk is on a distinguished road
I have moved messaging onto E:\ which works, until you take a back up at which point on receipt of the next message - or your attempt to send one - it tells you "Cannot access memory, messages will be stored in phone memory". You can only accept the notice.

So you do that. Re-setting it to use E:/ again is fine, but unlike the first time you do this, the new and orphaned message is still on C:\ and isn't copied/moved to E:\

The real fix should be that taking backups does not cause this to occur. But whilst it does it would be nice if re-configuring copied the lonely orphaned message across as per original change.

Regards
Neil

Old 04-08-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian-ross@beeb.n View Post
Why not move messaging to E:?

Menu > Messaging > Options > Settings > Other > Memory in use (select E: Mass memory)

Also you could reinstall the built in widgets to Mass Memory by going to the Ovi store and downloading them onto E:

I tried doing this but I thought that doesn't move all existing messages/emails in the C: to the E: (unless i'm mistaken)

re: reinstall - can i do this without doing a full reset or should I do this anyway to clear up the memory?

Old 05-08-2009, 10:23 AM

anyone?

Old 05-08-2009, 04:18 PM

jay_jay_n is on a distinguished road
wow i thought i was the only one.. i went through the same issue so i plan on resetting the phone and formating the memory card and trying it again..

Old 06-08-2009, 01:59 PM

Yep it does make a difference. Not alot though!

I did a hard reset and moved most of the applications & all messaging to the E: so now I have 39Mb free on the C: but can't figure out where the rest is being used!

Couldn't move any messages from the C: to the E: when I did a restore from a backup though :(

RAM is at 66% usage. If i've moved so much stuff over to the E: why is this still so high?!

Any suggestions anybody?

Old 06-08-2009, 07:44 PM

zxon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeks05 View Post
RAM is at 66% usage. If i've moved so much stuff over to the E: why is this still so high?!
As much as it's repeated on here (for some bizarre reason) C:\ is not RAM.

C:\ and RAM are two completely different things.

The C:\ drive is a non-volatile storage space where files (and possibly the OS) can be stored. RAM, on the other hand, is writeable volatile memory that is available for all applications and processes to store information and allow them to run. RAM is wiped once the phone is switched off, whereas data on C:\ will remain.

A possible reason why your RAM is still high could be because just as many applications and processes as before are still using it when you turn the phone on. It wouldn't matter where you have an app installed; when it runs, it'll still use the same amount of RAM. It's the space on C:\ that you should be looking at when you're moving/deleting anything off it.

Sorry for my little rant everyone (especially geeks05 - that wasn't directed at you personally), but why people keep thinking that C:\ and RAM are one and the same is beyond me!

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 10-08-2009, 12:12 PM

oooooooooooohh!! I understand it now. Thank you

So is there anything I should be doing to ensure that the RAM is not at such a high level of usage. Does the number of widgets/applications on the home screen add to it?

Old 10-08-2009, 02:32 PM

zxon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeks05 View Post
oooooooooooohh!! I understand it now. Thank you

So is there anything I should be doing to ensure that the RAM is not at such a high level of usage. Does the number of widgets/applications on the home screen add to it?
The home screen would certainly use more RAM if you have anything on it, and the widgets themselves would use up some RAM too.

My suggestion to keep RAM down would be the same as with any computer; close applications you're not using, don't run any transition effects, stay with the default themes, and reboot once in a while to restore lost RAM.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 10-08-2009, 03:53 PM

URGH default themes :(

I have rebooted though and that seems to have made some difference.

Thank you!

Old 25-08-2009, 12:12 PM

BanziBarn is on a distinguished road
Can I ask about the theory that RAM is part of C, but not actually C?

Below is a post writen by jApi NL, with the last sentance being "the more C: free the more RAM will be free !! The smoother the Phone is operating ."

I hope he won't mind me quoting it here...

As far as I experience Symbian , C: (the build-in Device Memory) , is occupied by RAM ( random access memory , which is the actual operating proces Memory ) + all the (inactive) files stored by the User .
I think also Z: ( the firmware ) , is stored in C: in a protected stable pool of Folders/Files .
D: (in which is the Clipboard) seems to be the same as RAM : anyway always the same amount of MB's .
Also user data ( Apps , Contacts , Calendar , Messaging ) are stored hidden in C: . BTW : Messaging can be set to E: ! (Mass storage)
After a rebooting (clears temporary data) , the Ratio C: to RAM = 1 : 2/3 . So when C: = 60 MB , RAM will be around 40 MB .
Concluding : the more C: free the more RAM will be free !! The smoother the Phone is operating .
I like to be corrected !

Old 25-08-2009, 04:18 PM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
no, ram and c drive space and not related in the slightest i dont think.
Ads

Old 25-08-2009, 05:59 PM

lightbulb is on a distinguished road
Maybe some of the contents of the RAM is being paged to C: temporarily?