All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 21-07-2009, 03:17 AM
Unregistered

Great Article

I have a question. How to check which browser version I have?

thanks

Old 21-07-2009, 04:18 AM

ashu is on a distinguished road
Excellent article.

How do you find out which Nokia is carrying which version of browser? What about my N79?? How do I find that?

Old 21-07-2009, 05:51 AM
Unregistered

Damn! the N95 8GB was the slowest? sigh..i guess it has to be..or there is no point in creating a new flagship device..
is there a way to make it faster? can u install the browser 7.1 on N95 8GB? lol..i still love this phone =)

Old 21-07-2009, 06:36 AM
Unregistered

i bet the only way to see the version is from the user agent string when you post to a mobile website and your browser info is displayed. I looked on my 5800 and couldn't find the version anywhere. But yes the n97 does have the new browser version 7.1.

Old 21-07-2009, 08:04 AM
psiegumfeldt

Great article Rafe! Allthough it does not surprise me very much I think is is great that this fact gets some attention.

It is quite fun to see a lot of iPhone fanatics bitch about technicalities, they just wont admit that maybe the iPhone browsing speed is not that much faster than the S60 browser :-)

One thing I would like to point out is that the new S60 browser does load flash while the old one and both the iPhone and G1 does not. I think it therefore makes sense to try and disable flash content in the settings of the new S60 browser and if you do this the new S60 browser naturally get even faster!! I did a quick test and we are talking several seconds!

One thing I have noticed though and I don't know if it is what you experience "Huschke2go", but sometimes when I load very large pages, it loads part of the page then stops and waits for at very long time before it finishes loading the page. This is very annoying and the browser is absolutely non responsive in the meantime. I have noticed that it is dependent on the amount of free RAM and possibly also free space on the C drive. Has anyone else experienced that and knows how to prevent it?

Old 21-07-2009, 08:05 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKJeeper View Post
From what i've seen here and on other sites, the i8910 is becoming the "forgotten phone". Perhaps because it may prove better than either of Nokia's own 5th edition devices (some of us already think it is better).

AlmostAllAboutSymbian.Com?
Oh, for the UMPTEENTH time, we'd LOVE to give the i8910 HD HUGE coverage. If Samsung could ahem..... make some. Or at least some that aren't locked to an Italian network or crippled by Orange.

Two i8910 HD's are due to arrive this week, but we're not exactly holding our breath.

Old 21-07-2009, 08:32 AM
Unregistered

not a fair test. no 3GS which you know would win WITHOUT testing!!! so you left it out in order to glorify symbian which was the purpose of this test..it's allaboutsymbian of course
Ads

Old 21-07-2009, 08:47 AM
Unregistered

Angry Why no iPhone 3GS?

For all of you wondering why the 3GS version is not included: READ the article before posting. Rafe writes "Because I did not have one to hand, I was unable to include Apple's recently released iPhone 3GS in these tests (nor the Palm Pre for that matter)." If you want it to be included in the test, send Rafe a 3GS.

Also he already admitted that both the 3GS and Palm Pre would most likely be much faster compared to the "older" iPhone. So please stop complaining!

Old 21-07-2009, 09:09 AM
Unregistered

fully loading a page the quickest, does not necessarily mean that its the best browser.

on n97, you probably need to wait till most of the page has loaded before you can do anything.

iphone3g/3gs. you are free to scroll around any content that has been loaded. which is a much better experience than the dreaded n97. imagine waiting for 20seconds for the n97 to fully load a web page?

Old 21-07-2009, 09:26 AM
Unregistered

Rafe, please tell us what OS on the 3G? Its really LAME not giving that info, what kind of test is that?

Old 21-07-2009, 09:57 AM
Jeran

Probably you can add a time, after what timespan you can smoothly scroll around. My experience is, that altough the overall load time is comparable, the iphone and opera mobile on winmo devices are more responsive during the load process.

And when reading newssites, images are the least interesting thing - so, more interesting is the timespan from nothing to text shows up and you can scroll around... (because: while flickering around the images show up)

Old 21-07-2009, 11:07 AM
Unregistered

Would be interesting with some numbers for WinMobile based devices; eg Touch Diamond2 (HTC Topaz). Anyone with a wifi and a WiMo device?

Old 21-07-2009, 11:39 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
For all of you wondering why the 3GS version is not included: READ the article before posting. Rafe writes "Because I did not have one to hand, I was unable to include Apple's recently released iPhone 3GS in these tests (nor the Palm Pre for that matter)." If you want it to be included in the test, send Rafe a 3GS.

Also he already admitted that both the 3GS and Palm Pre would most likely be much faster compared to the "older" iPhone. So please stop complaining!
other members of the AAS team have a 3GS. i believe steve does. tests could be done.

Old 21-07-2009, 11:44 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
OS versions / firmware etc: Latest firmware on Nokia phones, and yes OS 3.0 on iPhone (sorry, should made this clear - just thought people would assume this).

How to check which browser version I have?
5800 has 7.0, N86 and N97 have 7.1. You can tell by looking at the user agent for7.1 or (much easier) looking at the about entry on the options menu.

The 7.x browser also has a different options menu layout (and lots of other differences too) - one of the easy ones to spot is that Go to is now a sub menu (with Web page and bookmarks in it). Basically if you don't have this you have the older version of the browser.

Jeran and others
Yes I agree this start scrolling time is important, but its difficult to judge objectively (i.e. how much needs to be there to count etc.). This is why I mentioned it briefly in the article. Based on my subjective observations I would say Android and iPhone are both good in this area. The older S60 browser was fairly poor as anyone who has used it will know (it does do it, but...). The new browser is better, but can be a bit jerky.

--

Also check out this post by my friend Matt Miller who extends this test (including 3GS) and shows a Windows Mobile device (using Opera 9.3) coming out on top - http://blogs.zdnet.com/cell-phones/?p=1641

Old 21-07-2009, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

JimH is on a distinguished road
Unregistered users

As Rafe says: "I advise taking the time to register as you'll probably be seen as more credible by people reading this comment thread."

So true. If you're unregistered I just assume you're a troll/fanboy/noob/idiot, and I'm sure many others do too.

Rafe: I'd like a forum option where posts from unregistered users aren't visible for me, is this possible?