All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 16-07-2009, 08:27 AM

Yolmol is on a distinguished road
What is the point of Wifi on the N97?

I just don't understand it - it has such a crappy signal, you have to jump through hoops to get it activated and when you finally do get it going and downloading things - you have to delete the connection afterwards as it tries to get connected to it every 2minutes - even when you are 20minutes away from home, have turned off scanning, have switched it to ask when required, turned the phone on and off and put GPRS connection as priority one.

Its a joke? Is anyone else having issues?

Old 16-07-2009, 08:54 AM

davecozens is on a distinguished road
To be honest I don't check which connection I'm on very often, but I've got two access points at home (primary and extended by a booster), several configured in other locations plus tmobile.

Generally it works fine and quietly connects...

I've got it set to scanning every 5 mins - but it doesn't tell me about it so that's fine...

NEW: Tweet & Share GPS location: Locator

Fed up of Adware on Ovi? See my Freeware, Wallpaper and Accessories sites...

FREE News Widgets for Symbian, UK Traffic, News, Football, Movies and Gadgets/Tech.

More at www.davecozens.com/

Old 16-07-2009, 10:12 AM

Zyyb is on a distinguished road
I think the problem lies with the widgets on the homescreen, if you turn your phone on and say connect to the wi-fi, when you leave the wi-fi, they dont switch to mobile web. This could be resolved if you could just pick internet when the widgets ask you for connection, then it'd use the destinations as they're supposed to.

I just always get them to connect to the mobile web, if i use the net at home i can use the wi-fi and i dont have any problems with it, works throughout my whole house.

Old 16-07-2009, 10:41 AM

rdcinhou is on a distinguished road
I sometimes have both WiFi and 3G connected simultaneously (according to the double-arrow icons on the status line of the home screen display).

I have my WiFi set to scan every 10 minutes and do an automatic Internet connectivity test.

When I leave my home or office, my WiFi disconnects (I get a warning tone) and it switches over to 3G or Edge (Houston doesn't have as much 3G as you'd think!).

As far as connectivity...I have NO ISSUES with the quality. I don't bother to do as you describe with manually disconnecting and resetting at every location.

You also mentioned poor signal...I presume you mean WiFi.

This could be caused by competing signals in the area.

Have you used the "Filter WiFi networks" setting to exclude those to which you don't want to connect? This might improve your signal issues.

Last edited by rdcinhou; 16-07-2009 at 10:43 AM.

Old 16-07-2009, 12:03 PM

Yolmol is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcinhou View Post
I sometimes have both WiFi and 3G connected simultaneously (according to the double-arrow icons on the status line of the home screen display).

I have my WiFi set to scan every 10 minutes and do an automatic Internet connectivity test.

When I leave my home or office, my WiFi disconnects (I get a warning tone) and it switches over to 3G or Edge (Houston doesn't have as much 3G as you'd think!).

As far as connectivity...I have NO ISSUES with the quality. I don't bother to do as you describe with manually disconnecting and resetting at every location.

You also mentioned poor signal...I presume you mean WiFi.

This could be caused by competing signals in the area.

Have you used the "Filter WiFi networks" setting to exclude those to which you don't want to connect? This might improve your signal issues.
hmmm - I'm guessing the UK version isn't as smart as the US one, it won't auto switch when a WiFi connection is out of reach. As for the poor signal, I tried it this morning in the kitchen just the other side of a wall to my computer and it was very tepremental - the girlfriend uses her laptop in bed on Wifi and this is a good 25feet further away from the router and yet gets a good signal!!

Old 16-07-2009, 12:27 PM

davecozens is on a distinguished road
I'm in the UK and mine works much the same as rdcinhou

Not noticed if it switches back from GPRS to Wi-Fi though...

NEW: Tweet & Share GPS location: Locator

Fed up of Adware on Ovi? See my Freeware, Wallpaper and Accessories sites...

FREE News Widgets for Symbian, UK Traffic, News, Football, Movies and Gadgets/Tech.

More at www.davecozens.com/

Old 18-07-2009, 12:32 PM

kevinx is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolmol View Post
hmmm - I'm guessing the UK version isn't as smart as the US one, it won't auto switch when a WiFi connection is out of reach. As for the poor signal, I tried it this morning in the kitchen just the other side of a wall to my computer and it was very tepremental - the girlfriend uses her laptop in bed on Wifi and this is a good 25feet further away from the router and yet gets a good signal!!
I tend to agree with Yolmol, with regard to the handset NOT automatically "roaming" between 3G/UMTS and WiFi.
If I am "out and about" then I am connected to 3G/UMTS. When I return home/to a hotspot, then I have to FORCE the connection to WiFi. When I again LEAVE the hotspot, then my handset keeps warning me (beeping) "WiFi connection not found" Dohhhhhh, and then I have to reset.

SURELY this should happen automatically??

Yolmols second point, with regard to WiFi connectivity. I have NO problems whilst in a hotspot area.

So, anyone any solutions on the "roaming" of WiFi/GPRS??

Cheers
Ads

Old 18-07-2009, 01:24 PM

BanziBarn is on a distinguished road
Since removing live widgets my phone now connects to wifi automatically if I'm at home or at my parents and 3G if I'm out. Works quite well.

I don't need to set wifi to scan every so many minutes either.

My WIFI works throughout my house and even in the conservatory.

Old 18-07-2009, 01:26 PM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile Smart Connect

Did any of you try Birdstep SmartConnect (free) or Psiloc Connect (E10) : automated connectivity change ? It's advertised as S60 applications , however v5 is not mentioned .
In my S60 v3 phone I've set "Web" to allways ask , so changing connectivity is not much of a hassle .
When I am at home and my girlfriend uses Wifi on her laptop , my device is regularly thrown off Wifi , since the router allows only one device at the time and she wins !

Regards jApi NL

Old 18-07-2009, 05:46 PM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
You will only have a good experience if yet turn off all widgets. I don't use them and when i am at home it uses wifi, and when i leave it uses 3g. It works perfectly. But if you have actively running data connections then its not as smooth.

Old 18-07-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPodacter View Post
You will only have a good experience if yet turn off all widgets. I don't use them and when i am at home it uses wifi, and when i leave it uses 3g. It works perfectly. But if you have actively running data connections then its not as smooth.
Cheers "Roger", I'll give that a try, although it seems a little odd to have to disable something built in....

Thanks

Old 23-07-2009, 08:23 AM

m4j0r is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolmol View Post
I just don't understand it - it has such a crappy signal, you have to jump through hoops to get it activated and when you finally do get it going and downloading things - you have to delete the connection afterwards as it tries to get connected to it every 2minutes - even when you are 20minutes away from home, have turned off scanning, have switched it to ask when required, turned the phone on and off and put GPRS connection as priority one.

Its a joke? Is anyone else having issues?
I had the same problem you have. Pretty annoying. Had to restart the phone almost everytime I went out of my wireless area.

I reset my phone to factory default, and it seems to be much better no.
Try that!

Old 23-07-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4j0r View Post
I had the same problem you have. Pretty annoying. Had to restart the phone almost everytime I went out of my wireless area.

I reset my phone to factory default, and it seems to be much better no.
Try that!
Just as a point of interest, I now have the following settings in my handset, and things SEEM to be fine (with regard to roaming between WiFi and GPRS):-
Menu>Settings>Connectivity>Destinations>Internet (by the way "Internet" is checked, with a tick).
Priority 1) is my home network WiFi name
Priority 2) Another WiFi network
Priority 3) is my carrier "Contract Internet" (with Vodagroan)
Priority 4) PAYG Internet (not used)
Priority 5) Business e-mail (not used)

NONE of the above are ticked, only "Internet" at the start of these settings

I am however connected to GPRS whilst the phone is on standby (collecting information for the Facebook and AccuWeather widgets), but when I go to a web address, then it picks up the data from my WiFi connection (little aerial icon, with padlock attached).

Trust this helps.

Cheers

NB/ When I invoke an internet connection (tap on the globe) WiFi is opened and used. If one then selects Options (from the currently opened browser), and then General, the ACCESS POINT is set as INTERNET as opposed to "Ask when needed" or "WAP services".

Ley me (us) know if that helps.

Cheers