All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 25-06-2008, 11:07 PM
Unregistered

font size

While I prefer Nokia to most other brands I find the font sizes used on my E50 and 6120 classic are too small for me to read. I am ok with the fonts on my E61i, but just barely (have a difficult time reading the numbers on the key pad). Are the fonts on the E71 the same size as the 61i even though the screen is smaller?

Old 27-06-2008, 12:09 PM
Unregistered

Subscription hardware *SOMEWHAT OFF TOPIC*

To all those who somehow complain about no device ever having the perfect mix of the best available components (already found in other products of the same company, any company), you probably haven't realized that it's all a matter 'evil' marketing.

Most companies want to keep people on a 'subscription' mindset. You must keep buying a new device every so often (different for each user, but not more than a couple of years or so for most). We're in the era of "subscription hardware", just like subscription software (virus detection software, etc.) that requires you to pay a fee to keep the program running.

With hardware, you have to keep paying for a new device which gives some advantage to lure you but never enough to stop you from ever buying another one or at least until the old one dies of natural causes.

Laws have passed in Europe and elsewhere about recycling to supposedly protect the environment. But what good are recycling laws if they do not impose a limit on unnecessary production in the first place, ie., production for the sake of 'subscription', and not for true innovation. The point is not to recycle the huge amounts of garbage, but to prevent it from becoming garbage in the first place.

In my view, companies should not be allowed to obsolete their current product line without a significant advance in the underlying technology. Software upgrades (other than to fix bugs) could be charged to keep companies' revenues to a point where they can survive. Then, there wouldn't so many new models coming out, and to keep a customer one would have to have a great product that will be great for the foreseeable future, not only six months!

I know most of you don't care for all this, but I got if off my chest.

Old 29-06-2008, 07:19 AM
Unregistered

I just bought E71 but cannot get "smart dialling" work. How to activate it? Thanks.

Old 29-06-2008, 06:32 PM
Unregistered

where to buy?

where did you buy this and how much? I am visiting the states for 2 days at the end of the month and want to buy one. I don't think i can buy online since i will be only for 2 days and therefore would need the shipping to be instant.

Old 29-06-2008, 07:37 PM
Unregistered

this review was very helpful.
i'm seriously about 50/50 between this and iPhone2 for my next phone.
I currently have an e61, so obviously it's time to replace.
2 things were answered that make me lean toward the e71:
mp4 playback (i watch tv show videos on my device a lot) and tethering (tmobile makes it incredibly cheap and convenient and gets around the wifi-in-the-cafe issue nicely).
don't care about keyboard size, i have really little skinny fingers.

the one question still not answered is processor speed vs. iphone. I heard somehwere that e71 processor is a lot slower than iphone though faster than previous eseries. Has anyone done speed tests between e71 and iPhone with web browsing (using 3g, EDGE, WiFi)? if the e71 is noticeably slower that might be the deciding factor.
if anyone has the answer, much appreciated.
thanks!

Old 01-07-2008, 06:24 PM
Unregistered

E71

I have the E61 and have been very happy with this phone. Now that the E71 is out, I wonder if the N96 is worth the wait. Or the Nokia Tube that I have been hearing so much about as well. ANyone have any thoughts about this?
Ads

Old 02-07-2008, 01:24 AM
Unregistered

W/O decent messaging E71 is step back

I'm an avid E61i user using Good Mobile Messaging, and before then had a Blackberry for a number of years. I work in financial serices.

Over the last couple weeks, as a dry-run for what owning the E71 might be like, I installed Nokia Exchange and then Dataviz. These are slow, unreliable (compared to the rock-solid Good and Bberry messaging), feature-short (sub-folders, Sent messages sync, text-replacement, keyboard shortcuts), ... When I re-installed Good today, I was startled at how much I'd missed.

Without either Good or at least BBerry Connect, none of the other great features are enough to make this a compelling device for the typical Blackberry user.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:31 AM
Unregistered

.ics attachements

Hi, I wonder if Nokia meanwhile overcome the .ics issue. For sure you know that even the E90 is not able to handle invites that come in iCal format.
Any *good* news?
Thanks.
Tom

Old 04-07-2008, 05:00 PM
andrewgrill

Exclamation Goodlink and the E71

I've been investigating the E71 and Goodlink issue.

See http://www.andrewgrill.com/blog/inde...and-nokia-e71/ following a trip to the Nokia store today and a chat to the Good Tech team in the UK.

Short answer is it WILL work once Goodlink update the Nokia client.

If everyone posts something here or on my blog at http://www.andrewgrill.com/blog?p=151 then we can apply some pressure to Good to fast track the patch and get all the Good Hosted companies like Fasthost to enable the E71 in their security policy files.

Andrew Grill
London Calling the mobile advertising blog
www.london-calling.org.uk

Old 05-07-2008, 09:15 AM
Unregistered

Question

Bla bla bla, but what's it like as a phone?

Old 05-07-2008, 12:08 PM

Prosenjitz is on a distinguished road
E51 vs E71

Both E51 and E71 use same OS. And both are great phones. Please make a comparative analysis between the two, SOFTWARE-WISE, and Useablity-wise! Will it be a worthy upgrade to go for E71 from E51?

Old 05-07-2008, 11:38 PM
Unregistered

Talking nokia e71 review

very nice review steve! i handed my e61i to my sister and i'll get this e71 as replacement and to complement my E90 (i use for web surfing) and my N82 (i use for picture-taking).

Old 06-07-2008, 12:29 PM
Michael SG

Just got this and pretty happy with it except that the smart dial that was mentioned in the review does not seem to work? Is there some settings that I need to activate or is this feature available only in certain markets? I am in Singapore.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:14 PM
Kristian

Wink Camera Autofocus in E71

Steve, great review.

However, I'm testing the E71 and the camera is not semi automatic focusing. Instead, you have to press "2" and the usual red or green rectangle will appear. If it's green press the selector key.
I don't get Nokia who made it pretty complicated.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:06 AM
Unregistered

Additional languages for Nokia E71

The set that I bought came with English and 3 Asian languages. I need to download Hebrew and haven't found a way to do it till now. Any ideas?