All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 15-02-2008, 11:53 AM

Chris HB is on a distinguished road
N95 8GB - Unable to edit protected access point settings

Hi All - wonder if you can help with my new N95 8GB

Having just purchased my new N95 8GB through voda I'm unable to send or receive MMS message receiving the error message "unallowed: not provisioned yet".

The Guys on the voda helpdesk have repeatedly tried to send an over the air configuration to set up the Contract MMS but after 3 attempts I've received no text.

In trying check to see if set up correctly and amend the Contract MMS I receive the message "Unable to Edit Protected Access Point Settings" - this is the same for all access point. Voda's only suggestion was that its the handset that's locked them, not voda, and to call Nokia

I've tried three times now at various times and gave up after holding for nearly an hour on all occasions!

WAP seems to work fine, I've manually configured the phone to pick up my gmail, and text messagaing all works fine; it's just my MMS that isn't!

Some threads mention using the Settings wizard but I don't have this on my phone?

Current software version is 10.0.021, 29.09.07 (seem a little old for a phone only bought last week) - will updating resolve?

Does anyone know of a way of editing the protected settings or how I can get my MMS working?

Any help gratfully received and apologies for the long message, first time poster!

Chris HB

Old 15-02-2008, 12:10 PM

waxup is on a distinguished road
does the phone take a sim card, if so, all your mms and network settings are stored on the sim card and may be protected that way. You may have to get a new sim card if this is the case.

Or you could update the firmware, that should also resolve your issue as someone may have put the security on.

Rosa Parks is my idol for I too refuse to get up out of my seat.
Ads

Old 15-02-2008, 12:24 PM

Unplugged is on a distinguished road
Can you not simply define a new access point as a copy and change the phone setting to use that one?

Networks quite often preload the settings and lock them particually Vodafone. On my old 6630 I found using the "Restore Original Settings" option removed the locked access points.

If not debranding may be an option.

Old 15-02-2008, 12:45 PM

N95 8GB - Unable to edit protected access point settings

Thanks both for the swift replies.

I tried creating a new access point by copying the current one but still get the Unable to Edit Protected Access Point Settings message.

That has just given me an idea though. Will contact voda and try and get the various Assess point settings, manually set them up and associate the profiles accordingly - although your suggestion of factory defaluts migh be the easier option!

Intersesting suggesting about the SIM, will have to have a play and see if there is any protection on it.

As a last option, will consider the firmware, sounds a little scary (what if it goes wrong!!) but having just read a few more threads does look relatively simple.

Chris HB

Old 15-02-2008, 01:04 PM

waxup is on a distinguished road
Good luck in which ever method you choose.

I hope voda will help you out so you don't have to reinstall if you don't think you can pull it off (yes it is relatively simple and we're all here to walk you through it!).

Rosa Parks is my idol for I too refuse to get up out of my seat.

Old 15-02-2008, 01:30 PM

Unplugged is on a distinguished road
The sim doesent store any GPRS profiles these are pretty much a phone dependant feature if you change the sim or remove the sim and boot you will find the access points are still there.

Very little is stored on the sim which is basically ( still ) a very limited phonebook option, message center ( SMSC ) number and voicemail number along with PIN etc.

Old 15-02-2008, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
This is undoubtedly a VODAFONE problem. A simple search of 'unallowed: not provisioned yet' yeilds all vodafone results. There are some guys from Vodafone that comment in here though I havent seen them over the last week or so... else you coulda skipped th queue.

'Unable to Edit Protected Access Point Settings' in the AP list is normally locked to a program, not the handset as such, so an application such as a wifi connection app like... Boingo has a lock setting you cant edit.

Do you have anything on your phone that is like that... because if you do, you'd need to delete it to delete the AP.

Old 15-02-2008, 02:18 PM

Hi kontraband;

Phone is new out of the box so haven't has a chance to set up any thing like a wifi app yet; just want to to be able to receive pictures of my new baby son from my wife when at work!!

Don't want to delete the AP, just want to access it to see if it's set up correctly!!

Sound like I'm going to have to go back to Vodafone, be a lot more persistant and hopefully get one of the good guys to assist!

Chris HB

Old 16-02-2008, 02:11 PM

edwardpeter is on a distinguished road
Hey Chris,

I reckon from what you've tested that the MMS service isn't enabled on your Vodafone account.

You could call us on 191 or email us to get this confirmed.

On some price plans MMS isn't enabled by default; if you've got a new price plan when you got the phone this will be why.

I hope this gets you up and running; if it doesn't please let me know!

edwardpeter

Vodafone UK

Old 19-02-2008, 12:29 PM

Hi EdwardPeter;

I phoned 191 and asked to check if MMS was enabled on my account. Now I can send and receive MMS's! It was as simple as not having MMS enabled on my account, nothing more complicated than that!

Bit of a worry that 3 Voda customer service people missed that and even pointed in the direction of Nokia to resolve!

Never mind at least I'm up and running now

Thanks EdwardPeter glad you were on the ball !!

Chris HB

Old 10-06-2009, 08:35 PM

celticnthell is on a distinguished road
Talking Edit ap n-95 8gb

Hi the solution for this problem is for mms providing the op settings are alredy stored if not get them from provider first.

1.goto messages>setting>MMSsetting>AP>"IE voda payg" options> exit.then restart phone.then test should be done.

2.hold down 0. no packet data should not come up good.

Now with the net page open goto settings>page>access points> select always ask.... then options exit

Now hold zero down again i will ask for ap use correct ap job done again if you have your settings from provider