All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 22-09-2009, 09:28 AM

GG369 is on a distinguished road
Talking N86 8MP review - 'Review discussion'. WARNING: PROBLEMS ENCOUNTERED...

Hi. My N86 upgrade replaces the N95, and I'm not at all sure I prefer the new one: I do a lot of texting, and quite apart from the pretty unresponsive key pads (almost no 'click) and 'heavy' slide, this handset has caused considerable problems both on the handset itself and data in my PC (we're running Windows XP). I have almost 500 contact entries on my SIM card, quite a few with multiple, separate, direct lines, each of which has a rewritten 'label' with name and other details of the user/department for easy access. The N86 appears to leave up to two differently labelled numbers unchanged - but any more than that and the whole list now just has the word 'Telephone', and the number below. Very useful. Not. (All the detail of course remains on the SIM card). NEXT: Nowhere on my SIM card is there ANY email address, yet interspersed in my contacts list with all the names and numbers already on it are a dozen or so random names and email addresses, which can only have been taken from my address list in OE. I have around 200 email addresses in OE. AND THIRD: Again re my list of my OE address book - every one of these has disappeared, and been substituted by a list of EVERY SINGLE MAIN ENTRY - NAME AND NUMBER - IN MY CONTACTS LIST... ALL ALMOST 500 OF THEM. All this is not good enough, having resulted in me having to abandon this supposedly 'smart' phone and being unable to send an email. Thanks a bunch, Nokia/Symbian.

Old 22-09-2009, 10:24 AM

shadamehr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GG369 View Post
Hi. My N86 upgrade replaces the N95, and I'm not at all sure I prefer the new one: I do a lot of texting, and quite apart from the pretty unresponsive key pads (almost no 'click) and 'heavy' slide, this handset has caused considerable problems both on the handset itself and data in my PC (we're running Windows XP). I have almost 500 contact entries on my SIM card, quite a few with multiple, separate, direct lines, each of which has a rewritten 'label' with name and other details of the user/department for easy access. The N86 appears to leave up to two differently labelled numbers unchanged - but any more than that and the whole list now just has the word 'Telephone', and the number below. Very useful. Not. (All the detail of course remains on the SIM card). NEXT: Nowhere on my SIM card is there ANY email address, yet interspersed in my contacts list with all the names and numbers already on it are a dozen or so random names and email addresses, which can only have been taken from my address list in OE. I have around 200 email addresses in OE. AND THIRD: Again re my list of my OE address book - every one of these has disappeared, and been substituted by a list of EVERY SINGLE MAIN ENTRY - NAME AND NUMBER - IN MY CONTACTS LIST... ALL ALMOST 500 OF THEM. All this is not good enough, having resulted in me having to abandon this supposedly 'smart' phone and being unable to send an email. Thanks a bunch, Nokia/Symbian.
Did you actually check your "Syncronisation Rules" before sync'ing mate, to see which Database OE would use, which device would take priority, etc etc.

To be fair, I know you may say you've not had this before perhaps, but OE is NOTORIOUS for terrible field mapping when doing a sync - it's why I abandoned it years ago.

Now all I do when I get a new Nokia, is simply use the "Switch" tool built into the handset itself, to copy everything over from my previous handset via BT - it copes images, multiple telephone entries per contact card, the lot.

Old 31-10-2009, 08:47 PM
alby

nokia n86

rubish phone the camera is rubish i am having so much trouble since i've got this phone and is so hard to wright a text the keypads as so strong i simply hate this phone

Old 31-10-2009, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

timsalmon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by alby View Post
rubish phone the camera is rubish i am having so much trouble since i've got this phone and is so hard to wright a text the keypads as so strong i simply hate this phone
Ah ha! So someone else has this problem - at last - I wasn't mad! Didn't buy it from eXpansys by any chance did you? I sent mine back. Tried 2 - both the same. Really stiff keys - practically unusable - and wobbly slider.

I don't think it's fair to say that the camera is rubbish though - in all tests doen so far, it's by far the best at the moment on *any* phone for a number of reasons.

Return it - this is certainly becoming a known manufacturing fault.

Tim

Old 01-11-2009, 01:41 PM

shadamehr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by timsalmon View Post
Ah ha! So someone else has this problem - at last - I wasn't mad! Didn't buy it from eXpansys by any chance did you? I sent mine back. Tried 2 - both the same. Really stiff keys - practically unusable - and wobbly slider.

I don't think it's fair to say that the camera is rubbish though - in all tests done so far, it's by far the best at the moment on *any* phone for a number of reasons.

Return it - this is certainly becoming a known manufacturing fault.

Tim
Well my Slider is now so bad it rattles worse than a toy in a baby's pram...

...I can't send texts to multiple recipients, because after choosing recipient 1, the phone book then does not properly and correctly show all Contacts, for me to choose Recipient 2 (this was the case in v11 too)

...If I click to reply to a Text Message, it now takes me (I can count it) FIVE seconds, for the editor to actually open up.

...Very often, I press to open up my contacts, or even messaging, and it just closes back out. Worse, the last time it did this, the usual re-boot did not fix - I had to delete half my Inbox messages, before I could open up the contacts app to ring a number I needed.

And this is with a phone about as lean and clean, as I can get it, running the latest v20 Firmware, so there is NOTHING more I can do to try and reduce these impacts now.

Being truthful, what probably sums it up most appropriately, is this:

Were it not that the screen on my E71 is currently damaged, I would give up altogether on the N86, and I would (no, seriously, genuinely) be back to using my E71 instead of this current Treacle-wading I have to do every single day.

Another factual statement (for me) - I have never in all my years, used a Nokia mobile phone of any sort, so bug-ridden, and slow combined, as the N86 - not even close.

Even the early N95 with it's bugs, was not SLOW like this however.

The N86 with it's COMBINED mass bugs, and incredibly slow operation/response, is altogether unlike ANYTHING I have ever used from Nokia before (and as per my signature, I've used a LOT).

Maybe, just maybe, future firmwares will concentrate on fixing the PROBLEMS and the speed, rather than giving us more camera features that to be fair, were not even bad in the first place. And if so, perhaps the phone can be redeemed, as the N95 eventually, after all too long a time, went on to do itself.

But in the meantime, like I say, in true honesty, were it not for the broke screen, I would have absolutely ZERO hesitation in reverting back to my E71

That should be full measure of just how truly dire, the N86 firmware currently is.

(Camera though, is fine, as per Tim's view too).

Old 11-11-2009, 02:45 PM
Unregistered

Flash

Does the flash stay on? on pevious models it didn't, I think this was a let down. Just think you drop an earing on the floor when there is a power-cut, can the flash stay on or does Sony erricson only have that feature. Random question I know.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:28 PM
Unregistered

Batty

What the hell are you on boi!!

Old 18-01-2010, 01:18 PM
Unregistered

N86... not so good!

I was have a N95 8gb, 5800, Innov8, N96, N97, N86.
For me best of this devices is N96, because its the onley all in one phone. Why?
-N86 reeelly bad sound from speakers + slider is woby more than that on 96.
-N97 to big and cracky, bad display quality.
-Innov8 great phone thruley solid and strong but battery last onley 6-7h.
-5800 funy toy
-N95 8gb one of the best but old(no mmc, onley 8gb, slow usb...).
-N96 has his downsides like cracky d-pad and easy to scrach surface, but like a said its stil the best well balanced device for me.

Old 20-01-2010, 03:19 AM

carrickbay is on a distinguished road
Hi.
Thanks for the view. Its really interesting..

Old 27-06-2010, 01:20 PM
Unregisted

Question low speakers's volume?!

i have the N86 but the volume is very low! how can i boost my speakers ??

tnx !

Old 29-06-2010, 09:37 AM
Unregistered

Web Link low speakers's volume?! -->

isnt there an app? something?

Old 01-07-2010, 10:50 PM
Unregistered

Thumbs down crap

this is nice crap.
-loss signal
-longgggggg GPS fix
-pooor battery
-poor sound
-screen in sun day useless

+fast working
+very good camera

Old 15-08-2010, 08:58 AM
Unregistered

Problems with GPS and on-off button and no replacement

I generally like the outlook of this phone and I bought it because I liked phones with keypads. However, just one week into getting this phone, I turned on the GPS and then there will be a menu that pops out n keeps blinking whenever I switched to another application and get back to the GPS application. Since I had to head back overseas to study, I didn't send it for repair. Just into 2 months of using it, one day I discovered that the On/Off button wasn't working and the phone wouldn't Lock the Keypad as it would normally. Just in less than 12 hours time, the phone just turned off on its own and because the button was no longer working, I couldn't use it at all. Thinking that being a global company, Nokia would provide international care for its customers, I was appalled by the fact that the Customer Service assistant did not show initiative in providing the service at all. They did not have the slightest intention at all. Thus, I had to courier it back home and asked my dad to send it to the Customer Service Centre back home. After going through huge amount of hassles, and it was finally sent to repair, I only used it for 9 days and it was the SAME PROBLEM THAT OCCURRED months ago. They installed a new Map that did not allow me to zoom in to the level where I could've zoomed in previously. I admit that it was y fault for having it accidentally had water poured over it but please Nokia, I was your loyal customer and because of this I have already lose all my confidence as I might pay hundreds of dollars and get another defected phone.
Ads