All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 13-07-2010, 02:12 PM

expalmandse is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Fring vs Skype vs MobTelcos battle

Fring and Skype have been shooting at each other while they disconnected their services.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07/13/fring_skype/

I am looking for further analysis/info and strategies to achieve mobile-to-pc video communication. I used Fring on my mobile E71 and 5800 to communicate with PC based Skype users. There is no Fring client for PCs and no Skype client with video for mobile, and no Facetime client for PC or Symbian

Movicha.com seem to be and alternative. I have not tried it and only covers S60v5.

Also, what is Skype and the telcos up to? It seems Skype is trying to monetise their customer base by selling to the telcos, rather than keeping itself separate. In the process, they force an artificial boundary onto what is mobile (To be paid for separately!!!) and what is PC based (connecting for free). Out of that division Meego version is the only mobile platform which they still give video for free.
Ads

Old 19-07-2010, 04:01 PM

expalmandse is on a distinguished road
@seacharge "what you want to prove, we should skip fring"
No interest in proving anything.

But I am intersted in 3 things:

1.- Find a way to video call from my mobile to Pcs (What I was doing with Fring-Skype)

2.- Identify the interests behind the scenes on this video call feature, what the real flow of value and cash is (i.e. Skype more interested in monetising through making deals with Telcos for imbedded Skype service like they have done with Verizon and 3-UK, thus relegating video service that could overload those telcos)

3.- Forecast the changes to come to ensure I react accordingly, so that I can achieve mobile-to-PC video calling, i.e. my next piece of hardware may need be closer to a PC (Meego?) than normal Mobile so I can use Skype solutions

Now, taking your question a little bit further, if skype is stooping Fring to use the service I am more incline to ditch Skype than Fring