All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 25-02-2010, 08:57 AM

ErnstUdet is on a distinguished road
Default contact numbers don't work

Hi I got a new E75 a week ago and while I've tried to set the default numbers for contacts, they don't seem to work properly.

For example, I stored a mobile number and a home number for my wife and I set the phone to default call her mobile and send text messages to her mobile as well. When I find her contact and call her, it defaults to her mobile as it should, but when I sms her it asks me which number to use! This is extremely frustrating. Does anyone have a fix?

In a possibly related issue, I can't update to 201.12.01 (or any other version). I'm in South Africa so maybe it's region dependant, but the phone (or PC Suite) keeps telling me there are "No Updates available" for 100.48.78 firmware!

This version is from 25 March last year! Help
Ads

Old 25-02-2010, 12:29 PM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile Workaround

In my country it is possible to send SMS to mobile and landline numbers , as the SMS service for landline is voice operated when the homephone doesn't support SMS . The choice , which number to send a message to , the phone doesn't know by default .....
You can make for (heavy used) connections , two contacts settings instead of one . Like Liz M(obile) and Liz L(andline) , then the Operating System knows what you want .

As for the firmware , did you buy an Operator branded/locked phone ? In that case it depends on your operator - not on Nokia - when a new firmware will be released . Next time jusst buy a non-branded phone to be able to get the newest firmware the quickest way .

Regards jApi NL

Old 27-02-2010, 05:12 PM

mrochester is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jApi NL View Post
In my country it is possible to send SMS to mobile and landline numbers , as the SMS service for landline is voice operated when the homephone doesn't support SMS . The choice , which number to send a message to , the phone doesn't know by default .....
You can make for (heavy used) connections , two contacts settings instead of one . Like Liz M(obile) and Liz L(andline) , then the Operating System knows what you want .

As for the firmware , did you buy an Operator branded/locked phone ? In that case it depends on your operator - not on Nokia - when a new firmware will be released . Next time jusst buy a non-branded phone to be able to get the newest firmware the quickest way .

Regards jApi NL
You can set the phone which number to default to when sending a text instead of asking each time. The OP has set this, but the phone is ignoring his setting and asking him anyway. All I can suggest is that it is a bug in the firmware as the last Nokia I had used default numbers without a problem.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:54 AM

ErnstUdet is on a distinguished road
Thanks for your replies. MRoch has it correct and it may very well be the firmware.

I'll visit the provider store and check using my wife's sim card (different provider) to see if it's locked. Anyone know how to unlock an E75 from the network provider if that's the case?