All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 11-01-2008, 02:01 PM

littlejim84 is on a distinguished road
Opera Mobile - anyone have/use it on the N95?

I'm really interested in getting this one... I know it's the paid one, but it looks very capable. Thing is, their company page for it doesn't really detail much about it.

Can it handle Javascript correctly? Just like the desktop browsers? Does it support DOM etc... What's it's capabilities?

I don't mind purchasing it, if it's a good browser for my phone (that still hasn't come in the post yet!)

Any info/experience with this browser at all would be really really great! More info the better!

Old 11-01-2008, 02:26 PM

waxup is on a distinguished road
I currently use Opera 8.65 and tbh it's not much different than opera mini.
Java is it's own runtime environment and that doesn't get upgraded by opera.
I've only used this version for about two weeks so I haven't noticed anything special about it yet so if I were you, I would just stick with the free opera mini.

If someone who is more experienced with Opera comes by, maybe they know more about the paid versions and can give you more insight.

Old 11-01-2008, 02:41 PM

3Shirts is on a distinguished road
I have been using mobile for a while but tbh only because I bought it and felt I ought to get some use! Like waxup says, it doesn't offer much more than mini.

One feature it does have though, which I use a fair bit, is the ability to save unrecognised files to memory. This is handy if you want to download an exe or something to transfer to PC later. The Nokia browser won't recognise the filetype as it will only open files, not save them and Opera Mini can't download at all. I use this in conjunction with SymTorrent becasue it means you can download a torrent file to your memory card then pop that torrent file into SymTorrent.
A completely PC-less torrent download!

Old 11-01-2008, 03:06 PM

waxup is on a distinguished road
I didn't know that you couldn't download unrecognized files without a paid version of opera. Probably didn't know that because I had started to use simtorrent after I installed opera 8.

Good to know, thanks 3shirts.

Old 11-01-2008, 03:15 PM

Yeah, Opera Mini won't download at all because it is java based and therefore has no access to the underlying hardware wheras Mobile is native

Old 11-01-2008, 03:15 PM

Liam548 is on a distinguished road
I used to use opera mini on my n73 but not got it yet on my n95 8gb. Surely the built in browser is better? It handles youtube etc..

?

Old 11-01-2008, 03:20 PM

littlejim84 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the replies geezers...

Does anyone know if the inbuilt browser has good javascript capabilities? Does it run javascript just like a normal browser would? I'm interested in making mobile friendly web pages and I would like to know if the built in browser would run JavaScript completely ok? Does Opera handle JavaScript better?

Old 11-01-2008, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam548 View Post
I used to use opera mini on my n73 but not got it yet on my n95 8gb. Surely the built in browser is better? It handles youtube etc..

?

Personally I prefer the way Opera works but like you say the built-in browser has its advantages too. Opera mini is handy to keep knocking around for websites that try to redirect you to their mobile versions without an option for full. They do this becasue they detect the nokia browser but with Opera they can't tell if you have a mobile or desktop version so don't redirect you.
I'm just waiting for Opera Mobile to start supporting flash lite 3, then it will be the killer browser