All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 10-06-2007, 01:05 PM

buddripz is on a distinguished road
Wifi VoIP phone a good option?

Hi, next year I will be studying abroad in Spain for 2 semesters and have been looking for the most affordable way to call home on a regular basis without racking up outrageous cell phone bills or paying for a stack of phone cards (which restricts me to landlines anyway for the most part).

My question is- do you think a wifi enabled phone such as the N80 ie or the E65 (if I can get my hands on one) would be a good option when abroad. I would use a prepaid SIM card to make local calls and receive free incoming calls but would like to load up Skype, Gizmoproject or TruPhone to make low cost international calls. Does this seem to be a good option? The only problem is I am not certain of the extent of my wireless internet access. I hope to have some access on the university campus and I do know that my college pays for us to use 2 internet cafe's one of which is Wifi (so it would be nice not to always have to haul my laptop around the city to use voip.) I know these phones can be pricey, but if I can be semi-sure that it will be put to good use and will be convenient and useful, then it will be worth the price tag.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks

Old 10-06-2007, 01:10 PM

zainman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddripz View Post
Hi, next year I will be studying abroad in Spain for 2 semesters and have been looking for the most affordable way to call home on a regular basis without racking up outrageous cell phone bills or paying for a stack of phone cards (which restricts me to landlines anyway for the most part).

My question is- do you think a wifi enabled phone such as the N80 ie or the E65 (if I can get my hands on one) would be a good option when abroad. I would use a prepaid SIM card to make local calls and receive free incoming calls but would like to load up Skype, Gizmoproject or TruPhone to make low cost international calls. Does this seem to be a good option? The only problem is I am not certain of the extent of my wireless internet access. I hope to have some access on the university campus and I do know that my college pays for us to use 2 internet cafe's one of which is Wifi (so it would be nice not to always have to haul my laptop around the city to use voip.) I know these phones can be pricey, but if I can be semi-sure that it will be put to good use and will be convenient and useful, then it will be worth the price tag.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks
my friend the n80 is a great option, im using it as the same exact thing! voip device. i use truphone and fring all the time. its made life so much easier and cheaper

Believe the Hype! Techpakistan

Old 10-06-2007, 02:40 PM

ut666 is on a distinguished road
thought i'd share my experience of living with my N80 and VOIP....

I'm french, and live in the uk. my n80 + SIP is a real bill saver. I regularly phone home from my homes wifi... I use truphone to phone landlines for free which is brilliant. It just works, and cant beat free calls... However I dont think truphone will be keeping free landlines to selected countries open forever. Think it's part of their promotional offer to get people familiar with the truphone service...

So the whole free calls might change some day, but you are of course free to change SIP providers to your liking.. I think as the SIP market matures finding providers that offer FREE calls might become harder, but just guessing the future tbh....

the SIP really works well on the N80, and there really is a gain in usability being able to do it using the mobile... feels more like a real phone conversation... Only downside is wifi is a real drain on battery life, so keeping a charger or spare battery handy will be required if you plan on using a lot.

Fringe is great too as I can use skype credits to phone more remote locations, such as my gf's mobile whos in Zambia atm...

Only rant I have is that I find this SIP stuff really only useful from home, as I find it hard to find open wifi hotspots whilst on the move.

But it does work, and i thank nokia for making the SIP functionality so well integrated in the OS, and independent from SIP providers.

You just dial a number, and pick, voice call, video call or internet call. The later being the sip stuff..

So if you will have consistent access to wifi, SIP will be good for you.

ut.

Last edited by ut666; 10-06-2007 at 02:46 PM.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:50 PM

Can you define "open hotspots".... like you all said, its a great solution if you can be sure that you will have wifi access.... well i said that I am not positive how much I will actually have. I might be able to pick up a neighbors wireless in my home, but who knows. I might have some wireless on campus, but again I dont know. There is a wireless internet cafe I can go to... would it work there?

so is this a worthy risk or most likely a waste?

***also, about using Fring... i will most likely be buying a prepaid Spain simcard to use in whatever phone i get, so I dont think that Fring is a practical choice because i doubt any prepaid cards have good data rates, right?

Last edited by buddripz; 11-06-2007 at 12:12 AM.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:09 AM

By "open hotspots" i meant wifi hotspots you can connect to, either as they are not encrypted, or you know the password for the WEP or WPA encryption... Basically wifi conenctions you can use...

No idea about pay as you go sims in spain, sorry...

BTW Fring can be used over wifi, so no need for a data plan.

I would really try to find out more about wifi access, before making your decision.

ut.

Last edited by ut666; 11-06-2007 at 09:07 AM.

Old 12-06-2007, 04:36 PM

Ok so I investigated the universities webpage some more and found that it advertises that it has wireless internet in most buildings with common areas such as libraries and cafeterias. This could be an ideal setting to talk over VoIP with a cell phone right? I guess if this is true it could justify spending the money

Old 12-06-2007, 06:29 PM

sounds good to me.

ut.

Old 14-06-2007, 08:05 PM

dhevans_6 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ut666 View Post
the SIP really works well on the N80, and there really is a gain in usability being able to do it using the mobile... feels more like a real phone conversation... Only downside is wifi is a real drain on battery life, so keeping a charger or spare battery handy will be required if you plan on using a lot.

[snip]
But it does work, and i thank nokia for making the SIP functionality so well integrated in the OS, and independent from SIP providers.

ut.
It's been said many times before, but worth saying again - SIP is supported on the N80IE firmware revision only. Just be aware if you're going to buy an N80, either ensure it's an N80IE, or a non-network branded N80 you can update the firmware for, or a branded N80 you will have to reflash to transform it to a generic one.
Fring does work on the standard N80 (mine is an O2 branded one), but wastes battery big time over Wifi.
One good option for spare power is ProPorta's battery charger thingy - a 1500mA battery which charges from USB, which I then get about 3 N80 charges from. I couldn't do without it, half my office use it for anything from Motorola RAZRs, Sony Ericssons and every Nokia under the sun!
Ads

Old 17-06-2007, 07:50 PM

How about a Nokia e65? I have been checking in with the store in New York City because they are getting a shipment in soon. I like the look and feel of the e65 more and I hear it gets a little better battery life. Would Gizmo, Truphone, etc... work on the e65 as well?