All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 06-02-2007, 11:20 PM

battez is on a distinguished road
Connection prompts- Suite Settings, Allow not working? GMail Opera Mini etc on E61

Hi I am sick of the amount of times I get asked if it is OK if an application can use a data and network connection!

So hopefully can some AAS guru of the E series or E61 please tell me why apps like GMail and Google Maps and Opera Mini, don't work to Allow Always without a dialogue / prompt on my E61?

If you don't know what I mean, it's when one goes to App Manager, then select Options on an app, and choose Suite Settings (only needed for certain Java network apps). You then get the chance on Connection to set it to Always Allow, so I made the change on relevant apps, feeling very happy and pleased, but then on restarting apps and later phone, it still has appeared to have no effect! The only reason I can think of is that they allow permission on that level, but that my T Mobile UK firmware (that I am starting to get really vexed with - see other threads...) is perhaps stopping java apps from doing this? Or am I being the idiot that I often am and missing something else?

Many thanks

laters

Luke

btw in good karma news, Fring quietly released version 2.74 on E61 and it works like a charm now - much better than the initial Symbian 9 2.71 version.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:54 AM

elp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by battez View Post
So hopefully can some AAS guru of the E series or E61 please tell me why apps like GMail and Google Maps and Opera Mini, don't work to Allow Always without a dialogue / prompt on my E61?
You can't do that. There are 2 kind of applications that can run on symbian phones:

- native applications that have been developped in C++ specifically for symbian phones. These application, if they have been symbian signed, can connect to the internet without a warning
- Java applications: these applications have been developped in Java and can run on any phone. On symbian phones, the system will always show a warning whenever a Java application tried to connect to the internet. This is by design. For some reason, symbian decided not to allow even advanced users to allow a particular Java application to connect without warning.

This is not such a big deal though as Java applications are generally not really worth it. They take ages to start, use up all your RAM and tend to be sluggish and have poor UIs.

In the case of GMail, you're better off using the built-in email client to check your emails. You won't be able to use it to check your GMail account directly without a lot of trouble though as the GMail POP3 server is buggy and doesn't respect the POP3 standard. What i did to get around that was to open an email account with a provider that has a proper POP3 server (your ISP probably has that). Then i've set up GMail to forward all the incoming emails to my new email account and configured my phone to check my email from this new account. This way i can check my GMail emails using the built-in email client without having to deal with the buggy GMail servers. And as a bonus, i can forward both my personal and professional emails to my phone account allowing me to check both with a single account on my phone. And unlike the GMail Java application, i can view and search my emails even when i have no network connection as emails are downloaded and stored locally on the phone.

Old 07-02-2007, 02:07 AM

battez is on a distinguished road
Thanks for that. In fact I know about the signed and unsigned thing, but there is an option to Always Allow (as opposed to the next best, ask first time only) on the JAva apps, so it implies it can be turned off by as you say advanced users. But it doesnt work, so I guess you are right.

As for GMail I point out in a theocratic discussion with Jeremy elsewhere here why I like the GMail app (doesnt use much memory in my expereience?) - it's very wel done indeed, only the snag of contacts input field for me. I dont want a copy of my emails on my phone - I trust google with backing up my email enough, and I hate the builtin client. Also I cannot forward all my mail like that, as then I would still have me desktop as unread emails even if I had read them, the GMail app works seamlessly with the desktop version.
Ads