All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 20-03-2010, 05:33 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Earth for Nokia touch smartphones

OK, so Steve has a new favourite theme - and it seems that PiZero is experimenting with new ways of distributing his excellent themes: Earth is a new addition to the Nokia Ovi Store and appears for S60 5th Edition (touch) phones only. It's artistic and yet lightweight, with default icons to save RAM. Worth a look - there's a graphical preview below.

Read on in the full article.

Old 20-03-2010, 06:59 PM
Unregistered

This "new addition" has been on my 5800 for a few weeks. Got it from Ovi store and it's free. Nice to see that the satellite night view shows Europe rather than the default North America.

Old 21-03-2010, 02:36 AM
Unregistered

I will download this theme later today, but for me what seems to be the most useful thing in this theme
is the alphanumeric dialer, i hope so, as far as the above pics suggest.

Old 21-03-2010, 02:37 AM
Unregistered

Oh no! may be not. I was wrong, the image is of text writing, not dialer. I am looking for themes with
alphanumeric phone dialer, as it is very imp. in US.

Old 21-03-2010, 06:07 AM

krizanand is on a distinguished road
Its a bit late

I downloaded this one some one month back, i have no clue why aas team didn't spot it hence its outdated for me, nevertheless its a good theme.
Ads

Old 21-03-2010, 07:19 AM
Administrator

I posted the item as news because a) PiZero only just announced it himself and b) it was shown as new in the Ovi Store itself.

Hey, as usual, quit complaining - if you guys think you can spot stuff earlier than us, **help us out** by emailing sightings of new software and services in - we'll give you credit etc. slitchfield@gmail.com or rafe@allaboutsymbian.com etc.

Old 21-03-2010, 07:33 AM

Micky! is on a distinguished road
As said to you on twitter Steve, and confirmed by Yash, when Ovi Store lists "New" Items, they are not always new. This theme has been in Ovi Store for a few weeks now, and I had installed it to my N97 when first become available, but its now been deleted, as its now well known, that this particular theme causes countless issues on the N97, mine included. Slows the device down, and randomly crashes the device too.

Old 21-03-2010, 10:32 AM
Pizero

"its now well known, that this particular theme causes countless issues on the N97"

That's not true. I extensively test my themes for at least a week before publishing, and never noticed any slow down or crashes on my n97 with this theme that also don't have custom icons. People always thinks that when the phone crashes, it's due to the theme. The fact is that n97 is underpowered for its needs, and can crash with almost any themes. You guys must understand that thememakers do not work with code, that is automatically compiled by Carbide.ui, but only with graphics, and graphics cannot alter the software of phones. So every problem you have with themes is only due to your phone and how it interacts with the code generated by Carbide.ui. It's not the fault of thememakers.

Old 21-03-2010, 11:15 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizero View Post
"its now well known, that this particular theme causes countless issues on the N97"

That's not true. I extensively test my themes for at least a week before publishing, and never noticed any slow down or crashes on my n97 with this theme that also don't have custom icons. People always thinks that when the phone crashes, it's due to the theme. The fact is that n97 is underpowered for its needs, and can crash with almost any themes. You guys must understand that thememakers do not work with code, that is automatically compiled by Carbide.ui, but only with graphics, and graphics cannot alter the software of phones. So every problem you have with themes is only due to your phone and how it interacts with the code generated by Carbide.ui. It's not the fault of thememakers.
I can report that I use this on a 5800xm and it has been perfect and solid with no problems, as expected with V40 firmware, really very good. I never normally use themes, but make an exception for this one because it looks so good on a black phone.

Old 21-03-2010, 11:42 AM

Micky! is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizero View Post

Several reports have come across to me on twitter over the last couple of weeks about this theme causing problems my friend. I'm actually a big fan of yours, and was currently documenting gathered information to email you about this theme, as there is something clearly not right with it sadly.

I can confirm, I too extensively test various applications, themes, and performance procedures on my N97, and have probably hard reset, and formatted the mass memory more times that I care to mention, and this is due to Beta Testing various Official Nokia applications, and third party developers applications, and utilities.

Back to your Earth Theme, I will gather as much information for you regarding the problems users are experiencing, and try and find out if there is some kind of pattern, whereas users share some kind of conflict with another installation, and will get back to you.

Old 21-03-2010, 02:48 PM
Administrator

I too have had no problems with 'Earth', apart from a glitch in Micropool - which doesn't like quite a few themes 8-)

Pizero - please keep us informed if you get to the bottom of these issues and produce an updated theme! 8-)

Old 21-03-2010, 03:53 PM

snoFlake is on a distinguished road
Nokia N97 "Connecting People" - to Apple

Old 21-03-2010, 04:30 PM
J3st3r

Haha @ snoFlake! Too true my friend!

Can't believe something as simple as a theme could cause problems with Nokias "Flagship" phone *Rolls eyes*.

The fact that it has to use default icons to "save ram" is absolutely pathetic, I feel sorry for all the N97 owners I really do, having to micro manage everything they do just to keep the phone running even going as far as having to turn BASIC functionality off (Facebook Widget) give me a break. What a joke, yeah, Symbian's an amzing OS like, REALLY efficient. Ha.

Hey Pizero, great theme nonetheless, have you never thought of venturing outside from Symbian like Android, WM or for jailbroken iPhones? I think you'd do great in any of those scenes :-)

Sorry for my rant above, just think the N97 is a joke

Old 21-03-2010, 06:54 PM
Unregistered

Thumbs up

Looks really amazing on my n97. Thanks!

Old 21-03-2010, 07:01 PM

Leod_UK is on a distinguished road
Earth Theme

Running Earth theme quite happily on my N97, don't have to micro manage N97 particularly either.

Yes it's common knowlege that the N97 due to a lack of a dedicated graphics chip can struggle at times with themes that have graphical backgrounds....but at least my N97 will let me choose a theme if I wish, unlike the iPhone!!

I also run themes with custom icons quite happily so less of the N97 bashing thank you. Both the N97 and the iPhone have there merits.