All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 30-10-2009, 05:46 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Farewell N-Gage - Nokia to shutter gaming service

In a low key announcement, via the N-Gage blog, comes the news that Nokia plans to shutter its N-Gage gaming service. Nokia say they will 'no longer publish new games for the N-Gage platform'; instead games will be provided via its Ovi Store service. Current N-Gage games can be purchased until September 2010 and the N-Gage website and Arena service (online elements) will be available throughout 2010.

Read on in the full article.

Old 30-10-2009, 05:58 PM

adi_pie is on a distinguished road
Oh well, it was fun while it lasted... Well, not really if Nokia had taken better care of the N-gage service, or even given it some attention, because for the last year or so it seemed like they didn't even care it existed anymore, maybe it wouldn't have failed so badly.
Though it did have some good games that couldn't save it from Nokia's negligence, wait this sounds familiar... didn't the first N-gage go out in a similar fashion? (hardware and design not withstanding).

Old 30-10-2009, 06:19 PM

sjhong is on a distinguished road
Nobody should feel surprised about this. The moment I've heard about the Ovi Store, I knew N-Gage was over.
Ads

Old 30-10-2009, 06:20 PM
Unregistered

I canned it years ago. Seemed to be a pointless overhead.

Now if you want a game you can still have a game, it just has to be a normal application loaded like any other.

Old 30-10-2009, 06:45 PM

morpheus2702 is on a distinguished road
It was pretty self evident from the amount of market surveys taking place around N-Gage and the negative phrasing of the research questions that the writing on the wall over a year ago.

Let's hope the Ovi store fares better.

Old 30-10-2009, 08:10 PM
Unregistered

Comes With Music next? This whole services thing is not as easy as it looks.

Old 30-10-2009, 08:51 PM

Hih is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Yay! Faulty phones/games/services are useless.

Old 30-10-2009, 09:36 PM
Unregistered

Nokia is just one embarrassment after another these days. They are a joke, am glad I moved onto bigger and better things.

Old 30-10-2009, 09:55 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Nokia is just one embarrassment after another these days. They are a joke, am glad I moved onto bigger and better things.
Reading and posting in Symbian discussions is an interesting variation on having "moved on".

Old 30-10-2009, 11:13 PM

xerxes is on a distinguished road
Does anyone else get the impression that Nokia doesn't know what it's doing any more?

Old 31-10-2009, 12:21 AM
Jouten

Thumbs down Good Grief Nokia

As much as I love my Nokia 5730XM, which was kind of built for this N-Gage platform; I can't help but feel Nokia is slipping up big time. It just might very well be time for me to move on to another OS and phone company...

Old 31-10-2009, 12:55 AM

architengi is on a distinguished road
Another BAD MOVE for Nokia

This a really bad bad move for Nokia. Its shares already dropped today when the announcement was made with 3%.

But it is more than that. It is normal from all the phone users the N-Gage to be a niche, because put it simply smartphone is a niche in Nokia phones.
And N-Series is a niche in smartphones (considering all E-Series, Xpress Music and X-Series, N-Series, and number series running s60 OS) so there was no problem N-Gage was a niche in Nokia...

The bad move is when a company closes something with no replacemnt on the same level.

This happens with N-Gage closing – the N-Gage platform had a community behing with FRIENDS, network gaming, reviews, discussions and much more, and this can be only patially replaced by Ovi gaming, some features will never be replaced.

So then, Nokia did a very bad move because maybe that “niche” of users were core funs of the N-Series. And Nokia lost that 5% or 10% or 20% of users which will be certanly attracted by the many gaming titles on other platforms.

Why would any company close something with no replacement at the same level?

In my opinion, Nokia should have announced that they rename N-Gage as “OVI-Gaming” or “OVI N-Gage Games”, keep the platform and completely integrate it in OVI with keeping the accounts, the people inbox, messages, reviews. Of course, that means Nokia had to do the integration of N-Gage in OVI, but they did not want that, they took the sort way and said bye-bye.

I would not be surprised if Nokia will also CUT ANY OTHER SERVICE in the future, CUT Share on OVI, cut OVI MAIL, CUT even OVI MAPS, cut Ovi Music, etc because of the same reasons: they were niche…

N-Gage was a service loved by many gamers, they had friends on the N-Gage platform, partners to play with and Nokia instead of keeping the accounts and merge them into OVI, they simply delete this.

BAD MOVE Nokia.
Does Nokia really hate its customers? Does Nokia really care about us?

Old 31-10-2009, 03:11 AM

snoFlake is on a distinguished road
Luckily OVI = Quality

Old 31-10-2009, 06:29 AM

rohitpsk is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down want my money back

i am in india and have just bought a nokia n85 some 3 months back.
the main reason was the ngage platform.....
now the ngage going to get closed..,....
i believe i should i get full refund for the money spent on buying the mobile.....

what are the odds nokia is going to refund me!!!??

Old 31-10-2009, 06:32 AM
Unregistered

Bye N-Gage.. hope Symbian Foundation will Release universal gaming platform on Symbian Open Source.