All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > UIQ

Old 11-01-2008, 12:42 AM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
Umm some of you guys are smoking some good stuff! ALL nokias i have ever owned automatically turn on the phone to sound the alarm if you happened to turn the phone off before you go to bed. my s40 6131 did this, and certainly my n95 does this. when you go to sleep some people turn their phones off, and the alarm still sounds.

Old 11-01-2008, 09:58 AM
Unregistered

Another Unregistered wrote "Thanks again for the ritual humiliation that is 'asking a reasonable question on the internet'".
I hear you, brother. Mobile phone forums in particular can be particularly brain dead, even if it's ofteen brain dead questions. This forum actually seems much better than most.

buster wrote "Why on earth would you buy a smartphone, choose to use it as an alarm clock (don't you have a real alarm clock?)"

Sorry, but I think that that is a VERY strange comment for a smartphone enthousiast to make.
Allow me to demonstrate. One could easily replace "alarm" with:
- PDA (Calendar, address book, note pad)
- MP3 player
- video
- photo camera
- video camera
- e-mail application
- radio
- TV
- book (e-book)
- almost every other smartphone function, perhaps even including the actual phone.

See what I did there?

Old 11-01-2008, 11:52 AM

Jejoma is on a distinguished road
Steve, you commented on the difficulty of switching applications. So long as the application you want to go to is running it can be quickly and easily accessed through the Task icon on the top right of the screen.

Old 11-01-2008, 04:46 PM
tri_fin

alarm clock...

I don't think its wierd at to use your 'smart' phone as an alarm clock. A big part of a smart phone is its calender / reminder functions - an alarm is part of that. Don't you think?
- Why do people think something they don't use is wierd - cant you understand everyone has different needs than you?!? haha

I also thinks it a reasonable request to have it wake from standby.

Steve my media centre pc turns on to record programs and then back off again. My NAS turns on to do backups and off again.... hehe

Old 11-01-2008, 05:20 PM

cirrus is on a distinguished road
While I rarely turn my phone off, I think it's fair enough if others want to do so. Different strokes for different folks!

Regardless, I think auto-booting to sound an alarm is a useful feature to have. Perhaps, your phone dies while you are out and you plug it to charge when you get home but don't bother to switch it on because you're knackered or whatever. And perhaps you have a crucial job interview the next day and can't afford to oversleep... you never know, it could happen!

Anyway, I think this thread is going a bit off-topic, so... umm... W960 is nice but not perfect. However, I for one welcome our new 8gig overlords.

Does anyone here have both P1 and W960. From what I've read the software should be almost identical except that the W960 has a flashy Walkman music player. Is this correct? I'd be curious to know what other differences there are if any.

Old 11-01-2008, 05:42 PM
Unregistered

more on S60 alarms

I turn my phone(s) off to save battery life.

S60 phones that have working alarms that I know of, 6630, N70 , e61 and N73. Great, I use
this feature all the time on holiday (not all phones tho :-)) and other times.

Old 11-01-2008, 11:03 PM

malbry is on a distinguished road
We've had several discussions about encoding with the H264 codec, how H263 just doesn't give the same quality etc. Several UIQ users asked Steve to reconsider, since UIQ phones (which are Symbian after all) don't handle H264 well. Steve said he couldn't do that because of ... well, some video production reason that we didn't really understand.

Now, we are getting excited because the W960 and the latest P1i firmware apparently play SS50 in H264 format after all. Goodness me, what did we all make the fuss about?

Only ... well, Steve's having a little joke with us all. It turns out that Steve encoded SS50 in H263 format. The W960 and P1i play SS50 because ... it's *not* H264 format. And, with all due respect, was the quality so noticeably different? No. Because at the bitrate Steve uses, H263 gives perfectly acceptable performance and quality.

So, thanks for listening to us Steve :-) Now it's OK to 'fess up' and admit that you fooled us all. Oh, and now we've seen that it works, let's keep the codec at H263 for all we UIQ3 users ;-)

And, seriously, keep up the good work with the Smartphone Show and all your stuff on AAS.

Best regards,
Malcolm
www.freepoc.org

Old 12-01-2008, 02:55 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Eh? How do you work out that it's H.263? My video software told me it was making H.264 - and my E61i can't play it, so it probably is some H.264 dialect...

Can you be more precise as to what your video software is reporting the ss50.mp4 file as?

Steve
PS. regarding video software problems - it's a whole Windows Vista incompatibility saga - that's had me tearing my hair out. You really don't want to know. Or go anywhere near Vista if you have anything to do with video.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:10 PM

malbry is on a distinguished road
SS50 is definitely not H264, Steve, as you can see from the attached jpgs. It's regular MPEG-4. That's why the P1i and W960 play it just fine.

And let me just make the 'quality' point again. There's no question that H264 is a better codec than MPEG-4/H263. But on a 240x320 screen, at video resolutions above (say) 350kbps, for podcasts (as opposed to ripped DVDs), you don't really see a difference. Except that: quite a lot of current Symbian devices don't play H264.

So please stay with the same codec that you used for SS50. It does the job just fine ;-)

Best regards,
Malcolm
www.freepoc.org
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ss49.jpg (39.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg ss50.jpg (37.7 KB, 3 views)

Old 12-01-2008, 05:53 PM
Unregistered

The problem with UIQ's alarm clock is not really that it doesn't work when the phone is switched off imho (still, that functionality just should be there too), but that it doesn't make the tiniest bleep when the phone is in silent mode.

I keep my phone in silent mode practically all the time, and if I forget to turn it off, I'll sleeping happily until I wake by myself, instead of being woken by the phone, which just displays a mocking alarm message on its display...

Old 12-01-2008, 06:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jejoma View Post
Steve, you commented on the difficulty of switching applications. So long as the application you want to go to is running it can be quickly and easily accessed through the Task icon on the top right of the screen.
No, I commented on the difficulty of switching to anything FROM the Walkman app 8-)

Old 12-01-2008, 06:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbry View Post
So please stay with the same codec that you used for SS50. It does the job just fine ;-)

www.freepoc.org
Except that I'm still finding it hard finding video editing suites that will run under Vista and both handle smartphone MP4 reliably and render it again afterwards. Video software seems buggy to the extreme. 8-((( So far, I've been through Quicktime Pro, Ulead Video Studio 10 Plus, Power Director 6, Pinnacle Studio 11 - sigh.

Just to reiterate, the switch away from H.264 (it seems) wasn't intentional. I agree Malcolm's screenshots appear to show no H.264, but that then begs the question of why the E61 et al can't play the video properly. Just goes to show how complicated digital video can be!!!

Old 12-01-2008, 07:02 PM

tonyn is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb >How can a device wake you with an alarm if it's turned off?

This was a handy feature on my old Nokia 6310 and I think it had been standard in Series 40 for a long time before. It has been in all the Series 60 / S60 devices I've looked at.

It allows me to turn off my phone at night so that I don't get calls whilst I'm sleeping, and still have a wake up alarm from the phone in the morning.

Old 13-01-2008, 12:15 AM

ares is on a distinguished road
as mentioned before, by putting your phone on flight mode (all smartphone now have it) you also wont get any calls, spent a negligible amount of battery life, and let your smartphone apps work as they should all the time, without any valid reason to turn the phone off. On other hand, i should mention all SE dumbphones alarms work with the phone turned off - but they arent smartphones, so...

Old 16-01-2008, 09:42 PM
Unregistered

Remove Vodafone Live

Just taken delivery of the 960... nice phone.
I noticed on your opening image that the phone is on Vodafone, how did you remove the Vodafone live icon?

Sorted it.... Debranded it without any problems.... Goodbye Vodafone Live..... Hello Sony Ericsson!