All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 08-06-2010, 10:45 AM

davecozens is on a distinguished road
*bang*... GAH!... Apple got me...

Right.

The one thing my n95 has taught me is that there's a lot of things a smartphone can do that you'll never actually do with it. I've had ftp. And bit torrent. And terminal clients. Never used em except to go "ooooh, look, I can do [insert impressive thing]".

The one thing my n97 has taught me is that there's a lot of things you'll want to do that just won't work properly.

The one thing my wifes iPhone taught me is that everything on it works, all the time. Pretty much without fail. It might not do all the things a smartphone can. But with something like logmein I can just remote in to my laptop and do it from there.

I dunno if you heard, but there's a new iPhone in town. Looks fab. Has a camera that's only 5mp - but I've had an n97 for the last year FFS, i'll be happy with anything halfway useable.

Envirophone will take my n95 & n97 for about 200 quid, which funnily enough is about the same as the amount of line rental I've got left on my t-mobile account.

I'll get me coat...

D

NEW: Tweet & Share GPS location: Locator

Fed up of Adware on Ovi? See my Freeware, Wallpaper and Accessories sites...

FREE News Widgets for Symbian, UK Traffic, News, Football, Movies and Gadgets/Tech.

More at www.davecozens.com/

Old 08-06-2010, 11:22 AM

ironass is on a distinguished road
I'm sorry to see you go old son...

but I understand your reasons.

Going back to almost a year ago, you were one of the mainstays of this forum and a guiding light. You certainly inspired me not to mention your app's site for the N97 which, in those early days before the Ovi Store, was one of the few sources of app's and widgets. Some, I still use to this day!

I, for one, will miss you and may force myself to the pub later and raise a glass of scrumpy to you.

Live long and prosper and I hope the iPhone is for you.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:01 PM

Talking

cheers mate... *sniffle* always nice to be missed

the free app site will keep running, so people can always add stuff to it, although tbh i don't think it gets as much traffic now that ovi at least has some content (but frankly, is still horrible to use) - if nothing else maybe one day it'll make it to the 60 adwords needs to pay out - LOL

the various aggregation widgets will keep working too...

Take care y'all...

FREE News Widgets for Symbian, UK Traffic, News, Football, Movies and Gadgets/Tech.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:03 PM

Fleksnes is on a distinguished road
haha, you'll be back... guaranteed.
First, to tell everybody what a fantastic product you've bought.
Then, after a few months playing with it, and getting bored with it, you'll start to complain, and then as soon as symbian4 / meego is released, you'll understand what a tool you've been, and you're back...
(not in the n97 thread though...)

With that said, and since you brought it up: What a disappointment the new iphone is. The changes are marginal from the 3GS, but at least you'll be able to be a part of the new phone revolution: video calling. (only to other iphone4-owners of course)

Old 08-06-2010, 12:37 PM

Yeah.. erm... thanks Fleksnes.

It's unlikely though. State of the current mobile ecosystem I don't hold out much hope for symbian long term. It's just not organised enough, so short of replying on Nokia for stuff like the Ovi store (seriously Nokia? you've tried the app store on the iPhone, right?) I can't see it ever giving me the seamless experience I'm looking for.

And Android? Not for me. I used to think I wanted to fiddle with my phone like I do with my PC. Changed my mind. Spent too much time doing that with my N97. It's become a chore. Now I just want it to work.

If there's anything that I need from my phone that the iphone doesn't do, i'll use logmein.com and remote into my laptop instead...

Old 08-06-2010, 12:53 PM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb iPhone 4

More pixels than a Human Eye can see !

Regards jApi NL

Old 08-06-2010, 01:24 PM

aastarwar is on a distinguished road
regards...man..

Old 08-06-2010, 01:25 PM

Zyyb is on a distinguished road
Agreed, my N97 will be going to the big phone graveyard in the sky. I have changed my opinion a bit on the N8, hardware wise it's fairly nice. But it'll be underpowered and won't come near the iPhone in terms of usability.

June 24th!

Old 08-06-2010, 03:40 PM

dog-man is on a distinguished road
So what exactly can the N97 do that the Iphone can't and vice versa?

dog-man

Old 08-06-2010, 04:19 PM

nottmbantam is on a distinguished road
Sorry to see you go Dave, but like Ian says, can totally understand why. I sold my N97 about six weeks ago now and have an E72 which is comparison, is quote impressive. Good luck with the iphone. I remember buying my N97 here in Saudi on June 20th last year, and remember the excitement I felt at getting hold of it, soon followed by several months of disappointment!

To answer dog man's question, the N97 has a built in FM Transmitter and TV out, not sure if the current or new iphone has these. But, I've heard the same thing aboutthe iphone- what it does, it does well! The N97 was a great concept but just didn't deliver the goods for me.

As a result, I've kind of gone off touch screen phones for the time being. May be interested again next year when further developments have no doubt made devices far more versatile. Til then, I'll stick with the E72.
RM-530
E72-1

Old 08-06-2010, 04:41 PM

dog-man is on a distinguished road
I am not someone who replaces his phone on a regular basis just to keep up to date with new fancy gizmo's, but I am also very disappointed with the N97.

Yes, it does everything I want it to do, but it is incredibly sluggish and just feels clunky when using it. I am fed up with the occasional lockups when answering a call when the slider is locked. The only way out is to remove the battery.

I find myself seriously considering getting one of these new iphones.

I wonder how much I would get for my N97 which is in good condition?

Does the iphone have a card slot, and if it does what's the maximum size you can use?

I use my N97 frequently to listen to stuff I have recorded and put onto the card whilst at work. I have a tedious job so this is a must to help pass time quickly.

dog-man

Old 08-06-2010, 05:43 PM

iPhone only has internal memory, so non expandable - available in 16gb & 32gb.

What does the iPhone have that the n97 doesn't? Reliability. A decent app store. Enough memory. Capacitive screen. Customer support*

* the other day somebody I know with an iPhone discovered one of her kids had bought some content (which wasn't locked down within a specific app). Emailed Apple support. Refunded within 24 hours. On a weekend.

And like I said earlier, anything I can't do with my iPhone I can do by remoting in to my laptop via logmein.com

I've just had enough of pulling teeth to get anything done on the crappy n97. I want something that just works. iPhone 4 looks like it fits that requirement...

Ads

Old 08-06-2010, 06:48 PM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog-man View Post
I find myself seriously considering getting one of these new iphones.

I wonder how much I would get for my N97 which is in good condition?
Wow! There's going to be nobody left in this forum, due to Android (me) and iPhone deserters.

The "sell my mobile" companies are offering about 150 cash for an N97 at present.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:02 PM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecozens View Post
What does the iPhone have that the n97 ... Customer support*
The only thing that would worry me is the press/tv coverage saying Apple tech support are overly keen to void the warranty on iPhones if the case is badly scratched (claiming you dropped it) or that the water damage label under the microphone / speaker is showing red (due to a raindrop or sweat from your hand), so Apple say your iPhone is water damaged even tho the main circuitry has no water damage and the internal water damage labels are still white.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:28 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Will miss you Dave Really enjoyed your widgety goodness - might be worth having a chat with a few people about taking those forward?