All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 07-09-2009, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

GRIM REAPER will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Nokia U.K Firmware petition

I'm sure many of the N97 users here in the U.K are frustrated by the length of time it takes Nokia U.K to release Firmware updates. Now i know that in many cases that this is due to network variants needing approval, but it can often take up to 2 months for the updates for generic handsets to be released.

Basically Psychomania over on the Nokia Support Discussions board is trying to gather as many posts of support as possible in the hope that someone from nokia will take notice & treat the U.K users the same as everyone else.

If you would like to show your support then please head over & take a look.

Firmware Updates in the UK - Campaign for Equality

Old 07-09-2009, 08:24 PM

stringent is on a distinguished road
I think it will fall on deaf ears mate, and being in the Nokia support forum, I wouldn't be surprised if it gets deleted, or vanishes off the face of the earth. I do support it though.

Many people are now turning to the likes of changing the product codes just to get an update which makes their phone better, bug fixes, and more features. I dont see why things cannot be rolled out immediately. Are the UK spec phones different to the Euro ones? Doubt it. Would cost Nokia more. So why do we have to go through wait after wait.

Recently I had to change the product code on an E71 so my friend could get the 300 update which fixed all the bugs he has had with his 200 firmware. I even did my N97 and its a lot more stable.

So how long till we see version 20 of the N97 officially? I'd hate to think. BUT part of my pro Nokia, they maybe holding off v12 because v20 is so near?

Old 07-09-2009, 08:41 PM

davecozens is on a distinguished road
post'd be deleted if it wasn't Psychomania

he's a reg. it'll be fine. kudos +200 by now

lol

NEW: Tweet & Share GPS location: Locator

Fed up of Adware on Ovi? See my Freeware, Wallpaper and Accessories sites...

FREE News Widgets for Symbian, UK Traffic, News, Football, Movies and Gadgets/Tech.

More at www.davecozens.com/

Old 14-09-2009, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

GRIM REAPER will become famous soon enough
Thanks for the support guys. the petition seems to be gathering pace now. It's also been flagged by one of the nokia staff on the forum & this apparantly means that someone at nokia head office will have a look.

Hopefully we'll get somewhere now.

Old 15-09-2009, 10:34 AM

stringent is on a distinguished road
Have a look. Yeah, and file it along with everything else. :(

I didn't know about the EU law though and warranty. That was helpful, but phones are cheaper here in the UK than most European countries.

Hope Nokia UK do something about it though. To see a lot of disgruntled customers is something they should take note of. People will switch to other brands if their phone isn't being supported or fixed.

Old 16-09-2009, 10:04 AM

cliveuk is on a distinguished road
Just got this reply from nokia its not much but its a different reply than usual

I have been forwarded your email regarding the availability of N97 Software.

We are working to get the latest software releases on Nokia.co.uk/softwareupdate as soon as possible.

Please can you provide me with your IMEI or your Product Code so I can let the Software Team know that it is not available for that product code. I am sure they are aware already, but this will help me to ensure it is being worked on.

IMEI - you can get by typing *#06# into the keypad, or the 15 digit number on the white label under the battery.
Product Code - the seven digit code on the white label under the battery.

Nokia Care

Last edited by cliveuk; 16-09-2009 at 10:06 AM.