All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 19-06-2009, 12:37 PM

rdcinhou is on a distinguished road
N97 software commentary

For all you folks waiting for your N97, here is what you can look forward to regarding limitations of the internal applications:

1. Email...has to use the external web browser to display HTML email. No way to edit in HTML.

2. PDF viewer...14 day trial only.

3. Office (Quickoffice) - view-only.

4. Calculator...no scientific mode.

5. Games...only two games came on my NAM version: Brain Challenge Vol. 2 (stress management) and Guitar Rock Tour (both from Gameloft).

6. Web browser...for some reason this application doesn't fully exit when you press and hold the END CALL red button. The only way to fully exit is to use Options->Exit.

7. Calendar...doesn't seem to have a DELETE OLD appointments feature. This means your calendar will occupy more space than it needs to unless you delete each old meeting individually.

8. GPS...where do I begin with this one? It looks like they took Nokia Maps and then tried to stitch it together with a TomTom-like pay application. If you ignore the little red slip inside your shipping box which tells you how to go about getting your THREE MONTH TRIAL license (BTW...Driving is one license, Walking is another!), you will spent an inordinate amount of time trying to figure out how to use it. There is also a LOCATION widget in the APPLICATIONS list which needs to be run first and calibrated before you try to do any real work with the GPS. It also shows raw GPS data.

A *NICE* feature in the GPS application is that when you go to Search for a Location by address, you can select an Address from your Contacts!

Lastly...you absolute *MUST* download the Photo Browser from Nokia Beta Labs. This is the way that you want to browse your photos--with a 3D wall effect (kinetically scrolled) and touch & hold magnification!

Old 19-06-2009, 01:10 PM

LJS is on a distinguished road
Thank's for the info, much appreciated.

Old 19-06-2009, 01:26 PM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile Calendar

7. Calendar > Options > Delete Item > Items Before : Date .
Works in S60 v 3 .

Regards jApi NL

Old 19-06-2009, 02:43 PM

munkiii is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jApi NL View Post
7. Calendar > Options > Delete Item > Items Before : Date .
Works in S60 v 3 .

Regards jApi NL
I was just going to post this.

It must be in the S60 5th calender, they won't have removed this feature.

Old 19-06-2009, 02:44 PM

zxon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcinhou View Post
1. Email...has to use the external web browser to display HTML email. No way to edit in HTML.
I don't see this as being an issue. It means you can view the email very easily in text-only format, or you can open Attachment.html to see it in HTML mode. Alternatively you can install Nokia Messaging.

Quote:
5. Games...only two games came on my NAM version: Brain Challenge Vol. 2 (stress management) and Guitar Rock Tour (both from Gameloft).
My UK one only came with Guitar Rock Tour.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open
Ads

Old 19-06-2009, 02:57 PM

Robotron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxon View Post
I don't see this as being an issue. It means you can view the email very easily in text-only format, or you can open Attachment.html to see it in HTML mode. Alternatively you can install Nokia Messaging.

My UK one only came with Guitar Rock Tour.
Check in the applications directory there should be a Spore and JoikuSpot too

Old 19-06-2009, 04:33 PM

jApi NL: No such menu picks in S60 5th ed. Calendar--even while selected on a calendar item, there is only one DELETE choice.

Robotron: I stand corrected...SPORE was on my NAM and appears to be a game (rather a silly one). Joikuspot however is an application to make your N97 a WiFi hotspot by implementing IP-PASSTHROUGH. Running this application would be a violation of my AT&T terms of service as I don't pay for TETHERING.

zxon: as for "simply" reading the plain text email...some have been coming through all-encoded and darn-near unreadable. I will definitely be in the market for a 3rd party email program.

Old 19-06-2009, 04:38 PM

zxon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotron View Post
Ahh so there is. Spore and Brain Challenge are also on there.

Quote:
zxon: as for "simply" reading the plain text email...some have been coming through all-encoded and darn-near unreadable. I will definitely be in the market for a 3rd party email program.
I guess I don't have the same problems as you do when it comes to emails. One example is a horoscope email I get every morning, which is in HTML. I can just scroll down a little and read the horoscope very easily, or I can open the attachment and view the whole thing inc pictures, links, and (unfortunately) adverts.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 19-06-2009, 05:01 PM

simuk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotron View Post
For the games, I only had Guitar Rock Tour at first... until after a reboot when Spore and Brain Challenge appeared - most odd.

Anyone got stuck in the loop on starting the Maps yet? One screen wants to fight with another for your input (one about accepting the licence or something, and the other asking if it can connect to the internet), finally found a way out of the flicking between screens by pressing "cancel" (or no) on one of them.

Also found that closing the camera shutter whilst composing an MMS which had been created straight from taking the photo, caused the MMS message sending to close (at the same time as the camera app closed), which wasn't expected at all. Even worse the message wasn't in Drafts - completely gone. And then all of a sudden the message re-appeared a moment or two later - really not sure what happened there and might want to check it again to be 100% sure.

One thing I really don't like is the lack of display as to the text entry mode (letters, numbers, shifted, blue function key) that you've selected on some things - for example the Facebook app doesn't show you if you're in letter or number mode or if you've got shift on or anything, that seems really poor. I'd also like to see my battery and network signal strength across the top of the app whilst using it......

BBC iPlayer widget seems to have a white line across the top of it too when on the homescreen which just looks a bit unprofessional and hopefully they'll update the widget before too long.

Old 19-06-2009, 07:36 PM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile Calendar

@rdcinhou : why do you want to delete the Calendar - items anyway ? To create more space for RAM ? There is plenty of room : 32GB device Memory !
And in case of emergency : you still can do a Hard Reset .

Regards jApi NL

Old 19-06-2009, 08:02 PM

Deleting calendar old entries is a good practice, just like deleting old message and clearing your call log, browsing history and clearing your cache.

Just because computer memories and drives have gotten bigger is no reason to not be space-efficient. I used to write programs on single-board computers with 2K RAM, mini-computers with 16K, microcomputers with 32K.

Besides NEVER leave any evidence of anything! Don't you watch CSI or Burn Notice?

Old 19-06-2009, 08:23 PM

celios is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Deleting calendar old entries is a good practice, just like deleting old message and clearing your call log, browsing history and clearing your cache.

Just because computer memories and drives have gotten bigger is no reason to not be space-efficient. I used to write programs on single-board computers with 2K RAM, mini-computers with 16K, microcomputers with 32K.

Besides NEVER leave any evidence of anything! Don't you watch CSI or Burn Notice?
Enough of your whining! You just need to switch to the month view, then:

Options \ Delete entry \ Before selected date

Old 19-06-2009, 08:33 PM

LJS is on a distinguished road
Keep it all coming. AAS is proving to be an excelent knowledge pool.

I'm squirelling away all the handy info for when i get my N97. So a BIG Thank You to all the people taking the time to post thier views and finding's about this phone, tis a great help.

Old 19-06-2009, 08:49 PM

What ROCKET SCIENTIST put that feature in the MONTH view only?

The WEEK VIEW is the most valuable to me.

Thanks, by the way!!

Old 19-06-2009, 08:53 PM

celios is on a distinguished road
Quote:
What ROCKET SCIENTIST put that feature in the MONTH view only?

The WEEK VIEW is the most valuable to me.

Thanks, by the way!!
Yeah, I know it's not very intuitive to have slightly different menu options on each view. I think the N97 is going to be like that though... in many ways it reminds me of the N95, took a while to get the hang of it and learn the tricks, but once you have you're flying and nothing else will do.